Main Menu

Trackday pre-inspection lookover

Started by GreenMachine, August 17, 2010, 09:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Would someone be willing to tech inspect my bike tonight? (Tuesday bike night)  I'd hate to have all this lead-up to my first anticipated Track Day, only to find my bike fails tech inspection for some reason.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

n10sive

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 17, 2010, 09:37:29 AM
Would someone be willing to tech inspect my bike tonight? (Tuesday bike night)  I'd hate to have all this lead-up to my first anticipated Track Day, only to find my bike fails tech inspection for some reason.

Does it have brakes? Leak any oil? chain adjusted OK? throttle return back to neutral? Coolant removed? Glass removed or taped over (don't worry about plastic)? No visible brake light showing to the rear?

If so, you should be good to go. Those are the major things that I have looked at when doing tech.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

youngster775

GM, I'll be at bike night tonight and I'll tech your bike. It's everything that dale said plus loose parts... see you tonight!
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

dub

Quote from: n10sive on August 17, 2010, 09:44:56 AM...Coolant removed?...

This is recommended but not required though, right?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Scott

right no coolant requirements for Fernly  8)
GSX-R600

n10sive

Quote from: dub on August 17, 2010, 10:45:25 AM

It would be best to remove it. If it gets out on the track it is hell to remove and will cause crashes. I know you live up at the lake, and probably would prefer to keep it, but it is best at the track to run water/water wetter only.

I 'think' RFRT wants it out. It is really there requirement most of the time

youngster775

highly recommended. you dont wanna be that guy If something happened either....
water wetter Is 9.99 and you only use 2 capfulls.. it'll last for many changes and distilled water is .99 well worth the change. and it has better cooling abilities. just switch it out before the first freeze of winter..

Rick Bay (BRA)

Quote from: youngster775 on August 17, 2010, 10:49:25 AM

highly recommended. you dont wanna be that guy If something happened either....
water wetter Is 9.99 and you only use 2 capfulls.. it'll last for many changes and distilled water is .99 well worth the change. and it has better cooling abilities. just switch it out before the first freeze of winter..

If he does not want to buy a Water Wetter bottle, I can bring mine then he can take two capfuls. The only problem I will be there only on Sunday.

n10sive

remember...distilled water too. Don't use tap water with the water wetter.

GreenMachine

Quote from: n10sive on August 17, 2010, 09:44:56 AM
Would someone be willing to tech inspect my bike tonight? (Tuesday bike night)  I'd hate to have all this lead-up to my first anticipated Track Day, only to find my bike fails tech inspection for some reason.

Does it have brakes? Leak any oil? chain adjusted OK? throttle return back to neutral? Coolant removed? Glass removed or taped over (don't worry about plastic)? No visible brake light showing to the rear?

If so, you should be good to go. Those are the major things that I have looked at when doing tech.

My 9R is getting up there in mileage and accumulated road grime in the undercarriage.  I plan on removing the under cowling and power washing it.  Coolant is the OEM green stuff, which I would imagine is a slippery hazard for the track.   Maybe after Youngster inspects it tonight I'll take it over to Rich at Moto Source and have him change it out.

As far as roadworthy, the suspension is in good shape, all the pads were just replaced, throttle and levers should pass, tires are new, and I have rolls of the blue 2" painter's tape.  I think I'm primarily being cautious about the road grime and the fact that in the old days a bike needed the coolant changed and bolts safety wired.

[edit]: I better clean the inside of the front sprocket assembly too.  I know there's a gob of chain goo in there or was the last time I cleaned it. :o

Thanks everyone for the help.  I want to be prepared and want my bike to be as clean and safe as I can make it.  I'll pass on the track experience if she presents a safety problem.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

youngster775

no safety wire needed for a "TRACK DAY" and I'll bring some water wetter and distilled for you tonight...

dub

ok, ok I'll change it out.  I don't want to ruin every body else's day.  I even already have some WW in the garage...
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Rick Bay (BRA)

Quote from: dub on August 17, 2010, 11:21:24 AM
ok, ok I'll change it out.  I don't want to ruin every body else's day.  I even already have some WW in the garage...

Do not forget.
You have to remove everything from de system. Included hoses, little tank, etc...

n10sive

Quote from: Rick Tahoe on August 17, 2010, 11:48:15 AM
Quote from: dub on August 17, 2010, 11:21:24 AM

Do not forget.
You have to remove everything from de system. Included hoses, little tank, etc...

If you use the drain plug on the side case I think that gets the majority of it. I usually drain there, add water, run the engine until warm and then drain again.

Team Gorgonzola

WHAT :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o!!???? GM at a trackday!!!???
What next, Rossi at Ducati!!?? Oh waith....
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-