Main Menu

Crash on Geiger

Started by Mel, April 18, 2015, 01:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

I saw on the KTVN FB page that 2 sportbikes crashed hard on Geiger this morning about 10:45am. Both riders had serious injuries, with one of them having to get flown out on Care Flight. I could see in the pic that they were both white bikes. Hope it wasn't a forum member ???.

Tahoebrian5

That poor aprilia! Seriously that is scary. Sounds like it was a head on. Someone probly got in too hot and blew a turn   
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RichVee4

This seems to happen every spring, unfortunately.  We were just starting to climb the grade and pulled off at the base in the pull out to let a NHP pass us.   She pulled over with us and told us about the accident and advised an alternate route.  Appreciated the head up so we turned around.

What is it with MC vs MC on Geiger??  There is higher percentage of car traffic so you would think the probability of a Car vs MC would be higher, plus a car occupies more of the lane, so less room if a MC overshoots the corner.   Just feel bad for the innocent party that suffers from someone else's mistake.

Hope the riders are ok.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Any word on who the riders are?  I only know of one rider who has an Aprilia.  Hope it's not him.  Can't say as I can identify what kind of bikes those are.  The picture is so tiny, there's no detail.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 19, 2015, 12:04:22 AM
Any word on who the riders are?  I only know of one rider who has an Aprilia.  Hope it's not him.  Can't say as I can identify what kind of bikes those are.  The picture is so tiny, there's no detail.

It was him. He's pretty banged up, still in ICU, will be for a few more days. But he will recover.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

Do you know if he was in full gear? I'm always curious to know how effective the gear is. I know it saved my ass. Some crashes though it probly makes no difference

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Yes. In the photo provided by the NHP I'm pretty sure that's his blue 2-piece pilot suit crumpled on the ground. The EMTs must have cut it off and just left it there.

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on April 21, 2015, 11:49:46 AMIt was him. He's pretty banged up, still in ICU, will be for a few more days. But he will recover.
:terrified  Damn! 

Thanks for the update Dub.  Send our wishes for a speedy recovery. 

TB5, I only know of the last several times I've seen him ride, he's always geared up like us, which is probably why he'll recover. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Was asking a question, but I ended up finding what I was looking for.  Here's the accident corner on Google Maps to coincide with the stock accident scene photograph. 

Looking at the presentation of the bikes and that corner, it's very strange to understand how they came together there.  For a rider coming up (northbound) the 25 MPH corner should have sent the bike to the outside along the guardrail, whereas the bike headed southbound towards VC even with setting up for the right-hand corner wide, like I do typically, should have made for ample clearance between the two riders.   It's a blind corner for both riders, so if one wasn't in the right place, there wouldn't be much time to react.  Brrrr-rrrrr.  Gives me the chills thinking about it. 
Get well brother (in-blue).  We're all pulling for you.    :sorry

GreenMachine

From the comments online:

***My dad was in this accident .He is 83 been riding since a kid. He was riding a bike with a side car. He also was the one airlifted and is in very critical condition.

***Other rider appeared to have broken right arm, shoulder, wrist, some lacerations on leg. Was talking and seemed somewhat alert.

GreenMachine

Too?  :headscratch  Of course not, but no disrespect to the men in blue and their mostly thankless jobs. 

Quote from: dub on April 21, 2015, 03:34:02 PM
Yes. In the photo provided by the NHP I'm pretty sure that's his blue 2-piece pilot suit crumpled on the ground. The EMTs must have cut it off and just left it there.

dub

Where were those comments?

Tahoebrian5

I know too well what it's like to be in his shoes. Hope he is okay.

What happened to post 9?

RichVee4

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 21, 2015, 04:44:47 PM
From the comments online:

***My dad was in this accident .He is 83 been riding since a kid. He was riding a bike with a side car. He also was the one airlifted and is in very critical condition.

Side car?  Both bikes appear to be sport bikes with no sidecar in sight.

I rode Geiger on Sunday and saw the location.  The pic is looking South toward VC after crossing the summit.   Its a right turn about 1/2 mile South of the summit.  Not one of the sharper corners on Geiger.  Laura recognized this corner from the pic right away, she had a HD cross the DY and hit her a few years back.
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

Yeah, the sidecar comment is confusing, that why I was asking GM where he found those comments posted.