Main Menu

Day Trip Recon

Started by Mel, April 15, 2015, 07:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

The wife and I both had today off, so decided to do a day trip over the hill to check out a goat road I have somehow missed all this time ;)! We loaded up the dogs and headed over 80 to Auburn. Stopped in at Ikeda's for lunch in Auburn right off 80 near the Foresthill exit. If you haven't eaten here before, you definitely need to check it out...awesome burgers! Oh yeah, before we got to Auburn, got off 80 and did Norton Grade Rd to check out the condition. It was perfect with no gravel! After lunch we set out on my objective to find Garden Bar Rd just east of Auburn out in the rolling ranch country. Everything was green and the countryside is so picturesque in that neck of the woods. Finally got to Garden Bar Rd, and it is an out and back at 4 miles in before having to turn around at the end of the pavement. This is a little hidden gem of a goat road that was clean with no gravel, along with a mix of uphill and downhill sections...can't wait to try it on the bike 8)! For those of you that don't enjoy a spirited pace, this road is very scenic rolling through the countryside, and I think you would really like it. In fact, there are so many scenic roads rambling through the foothills between Auburn and Lincoln, with the sprawling ranches and ponds, that you could easily spend most of the day checking them all out. A great way to spend a day on a relaxing (non spirited) ride with many photo ops for you camera bugs ;)!

GreenMachine

It's a bit straight by your standards, isn't it?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

GM, the Google map for Garden Bar Rd is actually a little deceiving ;)! The first section is fairly straight, but then it gets good with some nice corners, and what really makes it fun is the uphill/downhill transitions. I think there might be a couple sections where you could get airborne at speed just like at the Isle of Man 8)! There is one section where you're coming uphill to a blind rise and right when you crest the top it peels off to the right...should be very interesting at a spirited pace :)! That's why I wanted to check it out as sometimes on Google maps, a road might look nice and twisty, but it ends up being boring...you just never really know until you are on it in person ;)!

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

Dub, you would love it on your Triumph 8)!

dub

Think how much further into the unknown you could go if you didn't have to turn around when the pavement ends.

Mel

That would be fun Dub, but just can't afford another bike :(! Luckily, my FZ6 is paid for and most definitely dialed in for ANY type of paved road 8)!

I forgot to mention that I was able to "ride" Garden Bar Rd on Google Street View before we drove over there :)! I couldn't believe there is a street view option for such an obscure little road! Give it a try ;).

dub

One bike just isn't enough.

Mel

I guess I'm a monogamous type guy in relationships and bikes, having been with the same woman for almost 36 years and never having more than one bike at any given time since 1983 ;)! Beware of the man with only one bike though as they are sneaky 8)!

Tahoebrian5

Quote from: dub on April 17, 2015, 12:02:09 PM
One bike just isn't enough.

There are currently 4 bikes in my garage, and shopping for a new one. You only live once. I think I've decided on the new Beemer. 200hp with cruise control and heated grips!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Mel

Make no mistake guys, if I could afford it, I would have a hundred bikes in my garage ;)! If you can't afford multiple bikes, then a guy needs to be thankful for at least the one bike he does have 8)!

dub

Sounds like you could free up some cash if you didn't have the wife, van, and dogs. Those are just unneeded ancillary items anyway.

Remember, the number of bikes you need is N+1, where N equals the number of bikes you currently have.

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

Quote from: dub on April 23, 2015, 03:01:03 PM
Sounds like you could free up some cash if you didn't have the wife, van, and dogs. Those are just unneeded ancillary items anyway.

Remember, the number of bikes you need is N+1, where N equals the number of bikes you currently have.

Dogs are worth keeping around, they can stay home and protect the N bikes while you're out riding the +1. ;D