Main Menu

Opinions Please.. New track bike for me

Started by trent, March 03, 2009, 07:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trent

Soo Ive sold my ZX-9R and am looking to get back on the track this year but had to sell my track bike because I lost my job... Anyway Im in the market for a good track bike. Those of you who have seen me know that Im a big guy.. 6'2" 250. I have ridden liter bikes all my life and love them. My quesion is... Would I be happy on a 600 or a 650sv? Im leaning twords a gsxr-750 but its been a little hard to find one in my price range. The front straight on a liter bike is amazing.
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

independent

trent

trent

Quote from: scotinexcile on March 03, 2009, 07:47:24 AM
Depends on your price range, there are a few bargains on BARF right now for 600's

If you just want a bike to ride around on then I might have a CBR600 F2 available shortly at a VERY reasonable price(Sorry Zoran, no space in the garage). I will know later today if I am going to sell it or not.(If I can get my hands on the 08 CBR600RR that I want ;D

You can see pics of the CBR here running at THill http://www.4theriders.com/viewpics.php?loc=/pics/trackdays/2009/02.14.09-thill/SATURDAY/794/ The one without the numbers on it ;D

Ive seen the deals on barf.. Im just not sure about the whole 600 thing...

Adiggity

I know a few big guys that ride 600's or SV 650's. I think it is mostly a misconception that big guys need 1000's. On the track there are pluses and minuses to both. If you know anyone with a 600 or a 650 you should see if they will let you try it out and see how it feels to you.

Here is a guy your size on a R6
http://4theriders.com/image.php?print=/pics/afm/2008/r1_bwillow/775/IMG_1794.JPG

Here is a guy your size on an SV 650, who by the way was the AFM Formula 4 champ for 2008 and also the #6 plate overall in 08.
http://4theriders.com/image.php?print=/pics/afm/2008/r1_bwillow/83/IMG_2645.JPG

Another ogar on an SV 650.  Matter of fact he is bigger than you. And he took 2nd overall in 650 production in 2008 :)
http://4theriders.com/image.php?print=/pics/afm/2008/r1_bwillow/49/IMG_4009.JPG

There are quite a few big dudes having lots of fun on littler bikes. Like I said, you should give it a try and stop listening to the nay sayers.  :)

jlavallee

Quote from: trent on March 03, 2009, 07:39:09 AM
Soo Ive sold my ZX-9R and am looking to get back on the track this year but had to sell my track bike because I lost my job... Anyway Im in the market for a good track bike. Those of you who have seen me know that Im a big guy.. 6'2" 250. I have ridden liter bikes all my life and love them. My quesion is... Would I be happy on a 600 or a 650sv? Im leaning twords a gsxr-750 but its been a little hard to find one in my price range. The front straight on a liter bike is amazing.

I am 250 ish and have a 600 and it's fine for me. I had a GSXR1000 before that and many GSXR750's. Personally, although you can go very fast on an sv it's too slow to react with my weight. That's my opinion anyway. On the track a 600 is fine and less work than a liter bike.

Justin

How much does zoran weigh?  How tall is he?  He's taller than you for sure.  He's probably around 100kg
On a tuned SV, he could run circles around some of the 'fastest' guys here, even when we had 80 more hp.
SV
If $ is an issue, you can work the SV over piece by piece till you get it just the way you like.

trent

Quote from: Justino on March 03, 2009, 11:14:09 PM
How much does zoran weigh?  How tall is he?  He's taller than you for sure.  He's probably around 100kg
On a tuned SV, he could run circles around some of the 'fastest' guys here, even when we had 80 more hp.
SV
If $ is an issue, you can work the SV over piece by piece till you get it just the way you like.

I understand that there is rider skill involved. A lot of people can ride anything. Look at Justin on that 919 that day he pretty much railed us all. Im not that good !! I want to be comfortable on the bike. I guess I need to ride one and find out..

Justin

yes, I have ridden two SV's
I'll never forget the first ride.  I was offered to ride it.  I went about one block, made right, and repeated that a couple more times.
I came back and said
"Are you kidding ME!"
Next time was a different one at the track. Fun, but scared to push someone elses bike.
(It's like finishing having dinner with your friends wife because he got called back in to work.  It's strange even with permission)
Third time was the same bike I was on the track with.
I am impressed that the bike allowed me to have that degree of confidence.  I love that bike.
Plus, they are easy to maintain, work on, and cheap to insure.
Good luck!

trent

I picked up an 05 GSXR 750 last night that I think will do the job  ;) Its all street with a clean title and only 3200 miles but soon to be a track monster. need some plastics a slip on and some tires to start... Anyone know anything about sportmax tires? Will they be ok to track on maybe a couple times? Im not super agressive but I do ride it if you know what I mean... ;) ;)

Yard Sale

Hey if you are going to buy an ex-racebike from Rockwall Honda it might as well be Garry McCoy's old bike..

Adiggity

Quote from: trent on March 05, 2009, 02:01:39 PM
I picked up an 05 GSXR 750 last night that I think will do the job  ;) Its all street with a clean title and only 3200 miles but soon to be a track monster. need some plastics a slip on and some tires to start... Anyone know anything about sportmax tires? Will they be ok to track on maybe a couple times? Im not super agressive but I do ride it if you know what I mean... ;) ;)
Right on man. Congrats on the new bike! Sportmax tires are good tires. How worn are they would be my only concern. If they are fairly new then you should be good to go for a couple/few trackdays. If your not sure how worn they are and they look to have some life left I would take em out, warm em up and see how they feel.

trent

Thanks Andy.. The tires are in good shape so I guess all there is left to do is ride it.. WHOO HOO !! Game On..LOL

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike