Main Menu

Roll Call - 08/25/13 Open schedule ride. You choose.

Started by GreenMachine, August 19, 2013, 10:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

As I mentioned earlier, I will not be able to participate in this weekend's ride.  And since we rode in the Markleeville area two weekends in a row, maybe a North Route ride would be suitable.  I'll leave it up to you guys/dolls.

This is the thread to post to if you're planning on going.  Only, this time, we'll need some ideas on where you'd like to ride or are planning on riding.  Post up and get a ride group together.  Don't forget to tell everyone where and when you plan on starting your ride.

Have a great one!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

nvgixxer

Bummer that you're not able to go this weekend GM! :(
Just heard on the news that the American fire west of Truckee is not looking to be contained until around Sept 1 (cough-cough). Therefore, to throw my two cents in, I propose a slightly modified version of GM's south ride. Meet up at my daily watering hole (Topsy Starbucks between 8:30 - 9:00) and head south to Markleville. Up and over Monitor, then south on 395 and up and over Sonora Pass into Sonora (lunch?). Then north on 49 with the option of doing Ebbetts Pass OR continuing on into Jackson and back home via hwy 88.
PS  ( I hope you can make it Bigcatz!)

Jimbo  
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

RichVee4

I'm in for a ride this weekend.  Bikes are all shinny and lubed up.    Sat/Sunday works for me, any route.  I like the idea of avoiding smoke if that is still an issue.   Prefer an early start 8:30-9
Live long and prosper \V/

nvgixxer

Quote from: Richman on August 20, 2013, 07:45:51 PM
I'm in for a ride this weekend.  Bikes are all shinny and lubed up.    Sat/Sunday works for me, any route.  I like the idea of avoiding smoke if that is still an issue.   Prefer an early start 8:30-9
Heck, I don't care which way we go, just so we go, eh? Ha................being the old retired fart I am with lots of time on my hands, the "Black Knight" has been completely waxed and chain is clean and lubed and he's ready to ride!  ;D

RichVee4

bet those bugs are pretty smashed on that speed machine :)

Grey Goat

Nvgixxer, I could get down with Sonora if an early 8:30am start, but would turn around @ Dardanelles & return Monitor with lunch in Markleeville.  Have new F & R tires to wear in  :crazy

Will try to get Sunday off from work.  Let's see how this develops! 

nvgixxer

Quote from: Grey Goat on August 21, 2013, 10:20:44 PM
Nvgixxer, I could get down with Sonora if an early 8:30am start, but would turn around @ Dardanelles & return Monitor with lunch in Markleeville.  Have new F & R tires to wear in  :crazy

Will try to get Sunday off from work.  Let's see how this develops!  
Good idea, keeps us out of the low land (Sonora) heat. I've done that ride exactly that way before, turning around at Dardanelles. I'd be in for that!

Jimbo

288RR

Quote from: nvgixxer on August 22, 2013, 04:30:56 AM
Nvgixxer, I could get down with Sonora if an early 8:30am start, but would turn around @ Dardanelles & return Monitor with lunch in Markleeville.  Have new F & R tires to wear in  :crazy

Good idea, keeps us out of the low land (Sonora) heat. I've done that ride exactly that way before, turning around at Dardanelles. I'd be in for that!

Jimbo

What would the e
Route be.  Head down though monitor or just take 395 straight to Sonora pass?

nvgixxer

Quote from: 288cbr on August 22, 2013, 06:56:37 AM
Quote from: nvgixxer on August 22, 2013, 04:30:56 AM

Jimbo

What would the e
Route be.  Head down though monitor or just take 395 straight to Sonora pass?
That option would be out there as well. I'm good with whatever the group decides. :)

RichVee4

Never been on sonora pass, I like the idea of a scenic high sierra ride.    Question for you old timers, is there any scenic value or good curvy road past dardanelles?

Was toying with the idea of a yosemite run and came across this news and wanted to pass along.
"Highway 120 temporarily closed west of Yosemite National Park due to fire"

GreenMachine

I'd say the probability is high of more twists and turns west of Dardenelles.  Mostly sweepers and unmarked corners.

Grey Goat

Wow, Rim Fire is putting terrible smoke everywhere.  Wonder if going south to Sonora would be like riding through Riverside in the summer (choke). 

My scooter is alergic to straight roads.  If smoke allows, will probably leave Reno very early, up Mt. Rose, down east shore, Pioneer Trail to Myers for breakfast at Getaway Cafe, over Luther to Markleeville, over Monitor, down to Sonora to Dardelells, then reverse back to Markleeville for lunch. Only straight higway is Topaz to Marine Warfare Center.  8 easy passes in 1 outing.  Convenient fuel stops all along the way.  And should be home by mid afternoon.

I could meet the group in Markleeville or 89/395 junction?  Just need appx time.  And NO smoke!

Grey Goat

BTW, Richman, you will LOVE Sonora!  Safe road, easy passing, not a lot of traffic.  In the middle of nowhere.  Wilderness, no houses.  Similar to Monitor, but much longer. 

I'd better stop, I'm drooling ...