Main Menu

R6 Upgrades

Started by BumblebeeR6, June 26, 2010, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BumblebeeR6

Hi everyone,
  Anyone know what fun little upgrades give some more low end on a yamaha R6, and also is it a good idea to get an upgraded air filter?
Dustin A. Steffey

Justino

XII has an r6 and is on those forum a lot.
Youngster's got one, too.

My mechanics wife rides one also.
They might chime in :)

Also, we've got a garage section where this may get better results :)
See you at bike night, Tuesday
Riding on the street is a lot like living with your parents.

GreenMachine

The best performance item specific to the R6's low-end grunt is to warm it up on a long ride.  The best ride for this is to go west on I-80 for about 90 miles.  You won't believe how much power that little trick gives.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work in reverse.  When you return 90 miles back to Reno, your bike will mysteriously lose low-end again.  I can't say why.  I just know it's that way.  :-\
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

The Turn Burgler

That bike is knowen for not having anything under 10000 rpm.  This is why I love the 1000 for the street.

I would regear it.  It is the best and cheapest way to get more low end.  Drop a tooth in the front counter sprocket woud cost $20 or look into a conversion kit. They would drop a tooth in front and add some to the rear and would give you a new chain(520).  Cost around $150.  They are made for the most pratical gearing for the street, track too.

Upgrade your filter when it is time to change it. Overrated!  Just go ride.

JENX!!!

Get a 520 chain conversion with a bigger back sprocket ( +2 teeth ) and smaller front. ( -1) ;D
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Justino

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 27, 2010, 12:58:42 AM
The best performance item specific to the R6's low-end grunt is to warm it up on a long ride.  The best ride for this is to go west on I-80 for about 90 miles.  You won't believe how much power that little trick gives.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work in reverse.  When you return 90 miles back to Reno, your bike will mysteriously lose low-end again.  I can't say why.  I just know it's that way.  :-\
Not sure what the point of this response is, but it makes the author look like a jerk.  Especially on Dustin's first day as a member.

All normally aspirated engines perform substantially better at sea level.  Steve from 2Wheel Custom Performance is quoted saying "15% more horsepower" when you're down there.  I've ridden my bike at two tracks.  Virginia International Raceway and Reno/Fernley.  There's about 4000 ft difference.  In first and second gears the front wheel comes up in Virginia under acceleration.   In Reno, the front wheel comes up when I put it up on a stand.
The other guys suggestions of chain/sprocket is probably the best mod for the $.

jlavallee

Yes, if you look at atmospheric pressire at sea level you'll find 14.7 psi. At 4100ft atmospheric pressure is 12.64 psi so 12.64/14.7=.869 so not counting the many factors including jetting, aerodynamic resistance and thermodynamic efficiency it is somewhere in that 15% range. Think of it as negative supercharging.

I think it was intended as a joke.  ;)

Mortal man will probably never feel the difference from a filter change unless your existing one is badly plugged. Gearing is the only ecnomical way to get the feel of more torque. Even then, your power curve will be the same. I wouldn't want my r6 on the street and especially at this elevation.

Justino

I find you're knowledge impressive as usual.
Soon we'll talk about oils and oil analysis.

jlavallee

Quote from: Justino on June 27, 2010, 02:55:56 PM

I'm always up for a tribology discussion. The answer is usually Mobil. :D

D1NO

Quote from: Justino on June 27, 2010, 02:55:56 PM

That's why I stopped talking to Jason... I run out of english and smart things to say ;D ;D ;D

Anyways, Welcome Bee... You'll find everybody helpful here!

Team Gorgonzola

My SPS it's like Dr. Jeckill and Mr. Hyde when I take to Monterrey for MotoGP. I am sure GM was just joking ;)

What's "tribology", a study of tribes culture?? ;D
Jason, I'll be ready for you next trackday.... ;)
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

youngster775

I own an 04 R6 and the only way I've been successful with making it go faster down here is I let Eddie or Chad ride it!  ;D
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

BumblebeeR6

yeah Trinie rode my bike and made it look faster of course, so maybe i just need to figure out how to rie it a little harder!
Dustin A. Steffey

Adiggity

Hey Bumblebee. The only thing that helps to give it more grunt is what JENX said. You need to get a bigger sprocket for the rear. Also a tooth smaller in the front sprocket. The typical upgrade is one down in the front and 2 up in the rear. If you do that, again, like JENX said, I would also recommend doing a 520 chain upgrade as well. But the thing to remember there is you will loose top end when you lower your gear ratio. Honestly though it is an upgrade I would recommend. You don't need all the top end they come with from the factory. And the other tip is like turn burgler said, keep it over 10000 rpm to stay in it's power band. I know that is unrealistic for the street, but unfortunately that is a 600 for you. Even on the street I would keep it above 6k rpm just so you have something there if you need it to make any quick maneuvers.

And the answer is yes. An upgraded air filter is always a good idea. You probably won't notice a big difference unless you get an aftermarket exhaust with it though. Money money money.  :) Hope that helps.

RedLeader

Most all 600's are like the little dirt bikes... always have to keep it way up in the rpms. Here's a horsepower/torque curve for an 07 and an 08 r6 (not sure what year yours is. You can see there is nothing really below 9-10K rpms. This chart is just as an example... not sure if this is stock or unmodified or what. If you want to see the real stuff, SPL has a dyno and can give you the readout on your bike.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka