Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

New to SSA

Started by Rooster, June 15, 2009, 08:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adiggity

Quote from: Rooster on June 16, 2009, 11:39:10 AM
Won't be able to make it to Reno tonight, but I'll plan on it for next week  ;)  I'm glad to see a few of ya in Fallon, I guess i just expected everyone to be from Reno or Carson. 

As far as a track day goes, it sounds great, but I don't have the gear for it.  we'll see if i can come up with some by then!
You can always rent a suit from 2 wheel custom performance.  ;D
http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=180

weavefish

was about to say that..... errrr Andy and well you could maybe score some loner boots as well... just sold my extra boots but im sure there are some floating around.
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

shep

Quote from: Adiggity on June 16, 2009, 08:11:59 AM

You will only need a cert if you go there for a test n tune, which actually is really easy to get. If you go there with us in July you will not need anything but your bike, gear, gas and a smile. (The last one will be automatic) Come check it out man. You will not be disappointed! Sign up early and it's only $110. I will be happy to show you around.  :)

http://www.sierrasportbike.com/NIE/trackdays.html

Welcome to the club!

Andy

Do you need one-piece racing leathers or will zip-together armored pants and jacket do? And how about bike-prep? Everything safety-wired and taped or something less (water-only coolant, etc.)?
Ride with immaculate sanity.

MotoPutz

Rooster

I'll probably wait til the track day in August.  Hopefully I'll be a little more willing to lean in close to the ground, lol.  I never even thought about renting gear.  Thats kinda cool.  My old man wants me to go check out the track.  He was part of the crew that paved all the additions a few years back.

Adiggity

Quote from: Rooster on June 16, 2009, 02:52:18 PM
I'll probably wait til the track day in August.  Hopefully I'll be a little more willing to lean in close to the ground, lol.  I never even thought about renting gear.  Thats kinda cool.  My old man wants me to go check out the track.  He was part of the crew that paved all the additions a few years back.
That's cool Rooster. But just so you know, you shouldn't feel any pressure to "have to drag knee" or even go any faster than you are comfortable with. Just because your at a race track does not mean you have to be a racer or even close to one. We all started somewhere and the trackdays are here to help you improve as a rider to become safer on the bike and also to have lots of fun in the process. If you want to learn to lean closer to the ground the track is where you should be. What better place to do it?! It's a closed course with a bunch of people with a common interest, just like you who are there to have fun. Clean asphalt, emergency crews in case something does happen, no cops...you get the point. That is why there are different levels of skills in each group offered. The C group usually has quite a few people just like you who have never even ridden on the track. Please don't be intimidated by the word race track or trackday or feel pressured to have to be at some sort of standard. If you decide to come you will be glad you did and let me warn you now, you will be addicted. It's all about the mind set. Just come out and listen and learn and don't ride over your head and you will have one of the best times of your life.  8)

Justin

Quote from: Adiggity on June 16, 2009, 03:23:58 PM
... you shouldn't feel any pressure to "have to drag knee" or even go any faster than you are comfortable with. Just because your at a race track does not mean you have to be a racer or even close to one. We all started somewhere and the trackdays are here to help you improve as a rider to become safer on the bike and also to have lots of fun in the process. If you want to learn to lean closer to the ground the track is where you should be. What better place to do it?! It's a closed course with a bunch of people with a common interest, just like you who are there to have fun. Clean asphalt, emergency crews in case something does happen, no cops...you get the point. That is why there are different levels of skills in each group offered. The C group usually has quite a few people just like you who have never even ridden on the track. Please don't be intimidated by the word race track or trackday or feel pressured to have to be at some sort of standard. If you decide to come you will be glad you did and let me warn you now, you will be addicted. It's all about the mind set. Just come out and listen and learn and don't ride over your head and you will have one of the best times of your life.  8)
what he said. . .X1000
Especially this part
"you will have one of the best times of your life.  8)"

Rooster

That's cool Rooster. But just so you know, you shouldn't feel any pressure to "have to drag knee" or even go any faster than you are comfortable with. Just because your at a race track does not mean you have to be a racer or even close to one. We all started somewhere and the trackdays are here to help you improve as a rider to become safer on the bike and also to have lots of fun in the process. If you want to learn to lean closer to the ground the track is where you should be. What better place to do it?! It's a closed course with a bunch of people with a common interest, just like you who are there to have fun. Clean asphalt, emergency crews in case something does happen, no cops...you get the point. That is why there are different levels of skills in each group offered. The C group usually has quite a few people just like you who have never even ridden on the track. Please don't be intimidated by the word race track or trackday or feel pressured to have to be at some sort of standard. If you decide to come you will be glad you did and let me warn you now, you will be addicted. It's all about the mind set. Just come out and listen and learn and don't ride over your head and you will have one of the best times of your life.  8)
Quote from: Rooster on June 16, 2009, 02:52:18 PM
All good points!  I guess what I meant to say is I want to make sure I have a good feel for the bike before I hit the track.  My first time on two wheels, other than MSF, was friday.  Track days sound like a ton of fun, though.  How late can sign up?  I'll probably have myself talked into it before mid-july.  :D

n10sive

if your first time on two wheels was Friday, don't do a trackday so fast. Zoom Zoom does a Road Riders 2.0 class that is EXCELLENT. It is held the same day as their trackday and you will get GADS of instruction and low speed practice and some very useful drills needed for the track. At lunch and at the end of the day, they take you out onto the track for some skills development (all highway speed and less). Most of the day is spent off track at a place about the size of an MSF class. It's a great place to get exposed to the environment, and get some great riding tips.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Rooster

Quote from: n10sive on June 17, 2009, 11:22:42 AM
if your first time on two wheels was Friday, don't do a trackday so fast. Zoom Zoom does a Road Riders 2.0 class that is EXCELLENT. It is held the same day as their trackday and you will get GADS of instruction and low speed practice and some very useful drills needed for the track. At lunch and at the end of the day, they take you out onto the track for some skills development (all highway speed and less). Most of the day is spent off track at a place about the size of an MSF class. It's a great place to get exposed to the environment, and get some great riding tips.

Just checked out the RFR and Z2 sites.  That course looks a little more on my level.  Thanks for the tip :)

Rooster

Quote from: scotinexcile on June 17, 2009, 12:59:48 PM
Quote from: Rooster on June 17, 2009, 12:29:38 PM
Quote from: n10sive on June 17, 2009, 11:22:42 AM

Just checked out the RFR and Z2 sites.  That course looks a little more on my level.  Thanks for the tip :)

My wife is actually taking the course this weekend at RFR

I'd like to but I have some things i have to take care of this weekend.  And there not doing it again 'til October :(

Team Gorgonzola

Cool Cool welcome to the club or I should say Association ;D Glad you found us, see you at bikenight.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Justin

Quote from: Rooster on June 15, 2009, 08:21:19 PM
I've ridden on dirt plenty of times in the past
it's not your first time on two wheels!  The Level II road racer school out here is held ENTIRELY on dirt.
Don't believe me??? check it out!
http://www.cornerspeed.net/spin.html

Rooster

Quote from: Justino on June 17, 2009, 09:39:34 PM
Quote from: Rooster on June 15, 2009, 08:21:19 PM
I've ridden on dirt plenty of times in the past
it's not your first time on two wheels!  The Level II road racer school out here is held ENTIRELY on dirt.
Don't believe me??? check it out!
http://www.cornerspeed.net/spin.html

I should have been a little more clear, i guess  :P  99% of my dirt time was on three wheels, unless you count bicycles :D

*edit* Just checked the website.  That might be the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Justin

we're gonna have some fun. You'll see.   ;D