Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

What's Up with Z2

Started by zipbyu, April 26, 2009, 08:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zipbyu

I heard a rumor that Z2 employees were not to attend SSA track days or risk being fired.  Yes, I will be the ass that will bring this to a topic.  I will state that I don't know how true this topic is or be worried of any repercussions, this is only my opinion.
     I have attended local Sunday bike rides with the SSA since 2004.  Everyone who was a really good rider talked about riding a track and told me how much I would learn in a single day.
     It was not until I started to go to the local bike night and Lance K. gave the club a bunch of track time to give a way in the SSA raffle, in which I wanted to win so bad I could taste it.  I soon realized I could just simply just buy my way on the track with little ease.  Of course I bought a ticket pack of track time the following year.  The SSA had told me of some track providers, about 3-4 that go to Fernely.  I soon attended a Z2 day at Fernley and at Thunderhill.  I feel that the group presented themself with the up most respect.  The people had shown me what riding was all about.
     The mission of SSA track days is to get people to the track to have fun and learn to ride in a safe environment.  No single person makes any proceeds from our track time.  Of course RFR gets what they're entitled too, and the rest if any go to the club to promote bike safety and local bike events.
     I really hope that this is only a rumor, there is a lot of local people that respect that organization including myself.   I really couldn't begin think why they would tell there people that, this is why this is only a rummor.

n10sive

I doubt that it is a rumor. Z2 sees the SSA as a trackday competitor. Hence, why would they want their instructors riding for us? Last year a few participated in our trackdays and helped instruct. Since then, we have been banned from mentioning our trackdays on BARF since we are not a BARF sponsor, and so far, it does not look like the SSA is going to get any discount codes from Z2. To me, I find it disheartening as all we are really doing is trying to keep some business at RFR to help the track. But in reality, at the prices we offer, people will ride SSA and not ride Z2 given the choice between choosing one or the other due to the economy.

If this doesn't get straightened out, I would fear not having Z2 here at all and that would be a shame. It will be interesting to see WHO shows up from Z2 in may since they split the day between RFR and Z2. We'll probably get a couple wino's in Yamaha shirts LOL I sure hope not, and I hope we don't continue down this path. I really enjoy riding at Z2 events.

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

zipbyu

I had went to every SSA track day last year in 2008 and there were no instructors of any kind.  The SSA had some local adavance riders that did sighting laps and had been to the track a time or two that could help riders get around in a weird circle safely but nothing more.

n10sive

I think 'Instructor' was a bit strong and I didn't mean to make it sound like they were 'official', as they were not. They were just there and helped show people some lines and stuff as you said. But apparently, that was enough to cause the appearance of a conflict of interest. I can certainly understand both sides. I hope we can get this cleared up this year. After all, we ARE NOT in it for the money...just here to help the track and our local riders.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Adiggity

Quote from: n10sive on April 26, 2009, 09:26:46 PM
I doubt that it is a rumor. Z2 sees the SSA as a trackday competitor. Hence, why would they want their instructors riding for us? 
Umm....because there are quite a few people from the SSA that ride with Z2. And we have brought quite a few people to their trackdays that didn't know about them, just like Myron. We don't want them riding "for" us. Just if they wanted to come out and ride at one of our days to support the local sportbike club and local track, they should be able to do that, imo. I think the outlook that we are competition to them is silly. We are doing 4 whole trackdays this year and all of them are at RFR. Why can't we be one happy family. We support them, they support us. It's funny, Keigwin doesn't seem to be threatened by us and he is still donating some free trackdays to our bike nights. I think them having that attitude, is like shooting themselves in the foot. Reno is not that big of a town and why would you want to NOT support one of their local sportbike clubs??

And as I think about this more, I doubt any of their guys/girls would come ride with us anyway. They get to ride at the Z2 events for free. Why would they pay, unless they just like to support a good cause............imagine that.

zipbyu

Exactly what I was thinking.

Lisa

Let me chime in (for me, not all local Z2 instructors)
As a Z2 instructor I agree not to "instruct" for anyone else.  This does not mean that I cannot "ride" with another provider. 

I will gladly come and support the local club when I am available.  My day job inhibits this more than my Z2 position.
"The purpose of life is to Live it, to Taste experience to the utmost, to Reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer Experience" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

quinn

i guess ill chime in too.
im not banned from doing SSA trackdays.
Z2 does a lot for us to keep us as instructors and they deserve exclusive rights to our services. 
i would do more trackdays if i could afford to. i love the SSA group. i lost my job. i hope i can afford to ride with you all this season.  QUINN  ;D

Adiggity

Thanks for commenting you guys. Good to know that if you wanted to come and ride with SSA you could. Sounds like that rumor that you guys were told you couldn't come and ride with us is just that, a rumor. Good to have a clarification. I would expect them to not want you guys "instructing" for another organization, but to say you can't ride with somebody else would be over the top, I think. I really don't look at the SSA as a "trackday provider".  As I said earlier, we have 4 trackdays this year and we aren't doing it to put anyone out or be any kind of competition. We are doing it to try and get more support for our local track and get more peeps from Reno/Tahoe/Fallabama/Ferntucky/Carson areas out there riding on the track.  :)