Main Menu

Reno Fernley Raceway

Started by SPL, February 11, 2009, 02:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmh2000

Quote from: Rick Tahoe on February 12, 2009, 08:49:18 PM
:( Wow, it's sad!!! >:( I just checked the schedule and I saw they have five events for next month and that's it. Nothing more for the year? ??? I think it's not update!!!  :-\

I'm pretty sure that is just because they don't update the schedule very far ahead in the winter. it was the same the last two years even when things were hopping.
dave

cobra23

Scot in exile:

Great Idea!!

I will see Danny today or Saturday, i am going to ask if they have thought of that yet.

TimSRAD750

Hi all!
I've never done a trackday and I'm looking forward to getting out there.  What is involved and what is the cost for obtaining a "track permit"?  I've left a message for Silver State Motorcycle Training but have not heard back yet.
Thanks,
Tim

n10sive

All you need to do is sign up with one of the trackday providers that offer instruction. Like ZoomZoom. Do their C group and you get track time and class time. I highly recommend them. Pacific Track Time I think also does beginner instruction. I don't think Kegwin's does.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Yard Sale

RFR had somebody at an SSA bike night once. They donated several T&T days.

USGPRU is not coming back this year (going to Thunderhill instead). It looks like Zoom Zoom is coming back for another race event of some kind. I don't know if the Supermoto guys are coming back. (I hope not with Z2; I want Z2 to have the full course!)

Adiggity

Quote from: n10sive on February 13, 2009, 10:56:17 AM
All you need to do is sign up with one of the trackday providers that offer instruction. Like ZoomZoom. Do their C group and you get track time and class time. I highly recommend them. Pacific Track Time I think also does beginner instruction. I don't think Kegwin's does.

Or SSA!!!!  ;D

You can get time on the track without having a permit with any of the providers. SSA is in the works to provide a instructional type day similar to Z2 for the C group. Keigwin doesn't have a system set up to teach new comers exactly like Z2 does but he does have instructors that will help you as long as your not afraid to approach them. The motorcycle community is a very friendly environment in most aspects. Sometimes it's easy to be intimidated but try not to let that take away from the opportunity to learn from people. Most people will gladly help you out and are very friendly in the process. Worst case, come get your feet wet with us this year. I will be glad to work with you.  :)

Andy 

D1NO

Quote from: TimSRAD750 on February 13, 2009, 10:06:47 AM
Hi all!
I've never done a trackday and I'm looking forward to getting out there.  What is involved and what is the cost for obtaining a "track permit"?  I've left a message for Silver State Motorcycle Training but have not heard back yet.
Thanks,
Tim

+1 with Andy and do a SSA trackday... BTW, I think Silverstate motorcycle academy only does basic riding courses as my wife took one there.

cobra23

You are not far wrong, Silver State does do basic course, but I believe "Al" can give you the testing you need to get a permit. Al also runs Silver State. If I am all wrong someone straighten me out. I think that is correct though.

As far as doing a test and tune, it is pretty much up to the Track Staff (Danny) who will make the call that day. The call on whether you ride or not (without a permit) depends on the number of riders out there, and the risk involved. Most of the time there is a low number of riders and something can be worked out, but you can't count on it.

If you want to ride anwithout a permit don't be discouraged, most of the time something can be worked out. If an experianced rider is out with you (SSA?) it should be no problem at all.

The last time I was there "scotinexcile" was there too, he was an informal instructor. I had never met him before. Very nice guy, I got better instruction from him one on one than a full Zoom Zoom day. Motorcycle people are the most sportsmanlike gentelman I beleive.

Show up you won't be disappointed!!

cobra23

Ok 1 correction,

If you have "never" done a track day, the "first one" needs to be with a class like SSA or Zoom Zoom, or Pacific. My mistake. I misread the quote.

dmh2000

Keigwins has a good (and reasonably priced) 2 day school for track riding but you have to go to Thunderhill.
dave

TimSRAD750

Quote from: Adiggity on February 13, 2009, 03:05:40 PM
Quote from: n10sive on February 13, 2009, 10:56:17 AM

Or SSA!!!!  ;D

You can get time on the track without having a permit with any of the providers. SSA is in the works to provide a instructional type day similar to Z2 for the C group. Keigwin doesn't have a system set up to teach new comers exactly like Z2 does but he does have instructors that will help you as long as your not afraid to approach them. The motorcycle community is a very friendly environment in most aspects. Sometimes it's easy to be intimidated but try not to let that take away from the opportunity to learn from people. Most people will gladly help you out and are very friendly in the process. Worst case, come get your feet wet with us this year. I will be glad to work with you.  :)

Andy 

Thanks for the offer, Andy.  I'll keep my eye on the board for news of the SSA instructional day.  As if I needed any more motivation, I came across this on YouTube today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIctjrolEVc

Brian at SPL has the bike now getting the jetting dialed in for me.  A new set of buns and it should be a blast.
Tim

zipbyu

Did you guys see the youtube post above?  That track looks sick, where is it?  I know what it is.  I hope the ssa decides to mix things up a little this year.

yzinger

n10sive

I would like to do the Z2 configuration again. That was fun.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Adiggity

Quote from: yzinger on February 14, 2009, 08:41:40 PM
+1 on mixing things up...
Yeah, it is fun to mix things up but just like everything else in life, some want one thing and others want something else. The majority that I have heard from likes the C config best. As far as I know though we are open to the idea of trying another config if that is what the majority would be happy with. We want our trackdays to be as fun as possible for everyone involved. Bottom line is, imo, at least your on the track with friends instead of sitting around the house looking for something to do!  ;D