Main Menu

Reno Fernley Raceway

Started by SPL, February 11, 2009, 02:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPL

Guys I know the economy is hurting everyone right now and our local raceway is one of them. These guys are struggling right now.

Please support them this season as much as possible. More so than you have in the past. Who knows how much longer they will be around. They are having a hard time paying there bills and if you look at the schedule its pretty skinny so far. Im hoping it fills up as the months go on. But compare to last year at this time they dont have shit!
http://www.reno-fernleyraceway.com/schedule.php?type_id=1&date=%2B1%20month

Even IVM the local car shop who sponsors the drag races made a comment that all of last season he was barely breaking even if at all. It was making it harder for him to help put the drags on for the bikes and cars. As the entries werent enough volume wise.

So please make an effort this season weather its road course or drag. I know its not the best track but ITS OUR LOCAL TRACK!
Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

Yard Sale

Are you saying we're not going to get restrooms, electricity, garages, picnic tables, shade structures, and a lawn this year?

Adiggity

Quote from: Superbike Performance Lab on February 11, 2009, 02:42:50 PM
Guys I know the economy is hurting everyone right now and our local raceway is one of them. These guys are struggling right now.

Please support them this season as much as possible. More so than you have in the past. Who knows how much longer they will be around. They are having a hard time paying there bills and if you look at the schedule its pretty skinny so far. Im hoping it fills up as the months go on. But compare to last year at this time they dont have shit!
http://www.reno-fernleyraceway.com/schedule.php?type_id=1&date=%2B1%20month

Even IVM the local car shop who sponsors the drag races made a comment that all of last season he was barely breaking even if at all. It was making it harder for him to help put the drags on for the bikes and cars. As the entries werent enough volume wise.

So please make an effort this season weather its road course or drag. I know its not the best track but ITS OUR LOCAL TRACK!

Yeah, this is a tough time for everyone. I will do my best to try and patronize them when I can for sure. I like that track.  :)

n10sive

I love the track too and will do all I can to help it...within the realm of my own troubles. But that said, they kind of screwed themselves over the years by not promoting regional races or building ANY kind of services. A working toilet would have been a good start.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

D1NO

Quote from: Yard Sale on February 11, 2009, 03:32:11 PM
Are you saying we're not going to get restrooms, electricity, garages, picnic tables, shade structures, and a lawn this year?

Who needs all that!?.. LETS GO!!!

cobra23

I went to the track the first summer I was here. It seemed a little clumsy at first. Eventually i found the right guy (Danny) and offered to volunteer as a corner worker. Well he put me to work, I call it my "golf course job".  They are real good people there.

So I can tell you that while it seems when you're there on a weekend, there is not much in the way of toilets, offices, grass, etc. it takes a great deal of time and I would imagine money all week/year to keep the track maintained.

I was just there last Friday, I go to the track on Friday mornings when I have the day off. So Danny and I are in his car surveying the damage caused by small amounts of runoff (water from rain running across the track) which of course even though the track will not be used needs to be repaired. Now this is not the pavement "damaged", but the soil in the run-off areas.  Bear in mind each time it rains this must be done, all winter long.

That's just one example, garbage pick up, cleaning and sweeping the track; things that are done that we never see during the week. Danny is at the track every weekend for test and tune during the winter. If you are cruising by stop in and say hello, even if you don't plan on riding that day.

Danny is a perfectionist about that track. While we are blogging all winter about how we wish they would put in toilets, somebody is at the track repairing little ripples caused by water in the dirt next to the track so we will be safe if and when we crash.

I am not bringing this up to make anyone feel funny about these complaints, I am bringing it up so we all understand how much effort is involved in maintaining 4 miles of safe asphalt, so we can have fun.

So yes support the track. When things turn around and toilets, grass, dancing girls, bars, resuraunts (lavecchia drive in?) are put in we will all be very glad we did.

By the way, there is a Modular building getting prepared as we "blog" that will be real toilets, for this season.

23out.

Yard Sale

QuoteBy the way, there is a Modular building getting prepared as we "blog" that will be real toilets, for this season.
Yay! Now there will be womenfolk. If you build it, they will come.

yzinger

WOMEN!!! I am there. I can now safely leave my "pit girls" at home. I have quite the following now. it is getting difficult to leave my house these days... :D

+1 on supporting RFR. I am hoping to do several more days this year, and I have 4 buddies in Cali who got bikes; I plan on de-virginizing them this season. avoid C group!!!

stimacsays

Wish I lived closer. I loved that track. Please keep it open so I have a reason to stop by Reno.
Yah right, like Albertos food is not enough. :P

SPL

Quote from: cobra23 on February 11, 2009, 09:12:51 PM
I went to the track the first summer I was here. It seemed a little clumsy at first. Eventually i found the right guy (Danny) and offered to volunteer as a corner worker. Well he put me to work, I call it my "golf course job".  They are real good people there.

So I can tell you that while it seems when you're there on a weekend, there is not much in the way of toilets, offices, grass, etc. it takes a great deal of time and I would imagine money all week/year to keep the track maintained.

I was just there last Friday, I go to the track on Friday mornings when I have the day off. So Danny and I are in his car surveying the damage caused by small amounts of runoff (water from rain running across the track) which of course even though the track will not be used needs to be repaired. Now this is not the pavement "damaged", but the soil in the run-off areas.  Bear in mind each time it rains this must be done, all winter long.

That's just one example, garbage pick up, cleaning and sweeping the track; things that are done that we never see during the week. Danny is at the track every weekend for test and tune during the winter. If you are cruising by stop in and say hello, even if you don't plan on riding that day.

Danny is a perfectionist about that track. While we are blogging all winter about how we wish they would put in toilets, somebody is at the track repairing little ripples caused by water in the dirt next to the track so we will be safe if and when we crash.

I am not bringing this up to make anyone feel funny about these complaints, I am bringing it up so we all understand how much effort is involved in maintaining 4 miles of safe asphalt, so we can have fun.

So yes support the track. When things turn around and toilets, grass, dancing girls, bars, resuraunts (lavecchia drive in?) are put in we will all be very glad we did.

By the way, there is a Modular building getting prepared as we "blog" that will be real toilets, for this season.

23out.

He hit this on the head!!!  The guys are good people but the amount of money it takes to keep the track up as well as insurance is CRAZY! So the money they have keeps getting poured into the track as thats what brings the racers.   These guys had huge plans to bring AMA here. They reviewed the track and told them what they needed in order to bring that association here.   ITS ALOT, bigger run offs, more grand stands ect..  They want to do this but the funding isnt there especially with the economy.  Now they have put that ON THE BACK BURNER AND ARE JUST TRYING TO STAY ALIVE.   I know its considered the sun valley of racetracks but have you ever spoken to other racers from Cali or Oregon?   They love this track. They love how technical it is.   All Im saying is lets try to get more track days in this season. I would hate to see these guys go under.
Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

n10sive

seriously...some good creative marketing would do that place wonders.

It was really cool to see the USGPRU there last year. Would be great to have them back too. But as stated, there are too many obstacles and now it's like a "chicken and the egg" argument. Can't good get racing there without services, can't get services without money, can't get money without good racing :( We also got very low support out of the local news and other 'bike sponsors' in the area too. It's really a shame. Maybe this year we could try harder to get the local news to do a story about the track during a trackday.

What they need is someone like the Reno Aces group who wants to do something in the area with it.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

yzinger

I tried several times to find someone who could get a radio station to come out on one of our big weekends but had no luck. I am more that willing to help them out in any way I can. I just dont have money. I definitly think we should get some more SSA days on the calender, and work with RFR to get some advertising out there. like previously stated, very few people know this track is even there. lets change that!!!

Team Gorgonzola

What happened to the oval?? That was their bread-and-butter, I remember the races there every Sundays. I also love RFR and don't want to see it go. As soon as I can get back riding (neck problem) I will go to test and tune days and track days alike. I plan to be there at least 8 times with SSA, Keigwins and Z2.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

jlavallee

I love the RFR track and the fact that it is so long and technical is great but I have to admit it is very poor for spectating. I think the money on some tall stands like the ones at Bainerd and eventually a tunnel or bridge to allow access to a center viewing area would be money well spent. If you weren't riding you basically just see the front straight.

Other than that, the rest will come with time and hopefully we can keep this jewel operating so it can improve. I usually get a couple of test and tune days in each year with one track day. To be honest, I don't get why the test and tune days are always empty as I prefer them over a mid summer track day when it's 100 degrees out. Sorry, my fat ass can't handle the heat. Hopefully this year I'll get a couple of the SSA days and a few test and tunes.

Rick Bay (BRA)

:( Wow, it's sad!!! >:( I just checked the schedule and I saw they have five events for next month and that's it. Nothing more for the year? ??? I think it's not update!!!  :-\