Main Menu

Help me pick a dual sport bike

Started by dmh2000, February 06, 2009, 11:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yard Sale

Quote from: live2ride on February 09, 2009, 01:12:04 AM
how come no mention of the crf250/450x?

Because:

QuoteReliability is more important than performance. the street legal part is so I can get there from here without a trailer.

Justin

Justin

Can you tell me what you intend to do with the bike so we can help narrow your decision?
The Dualsports range from 200 to 1200cc's and 4000 to 20,000.
Are you going to alaska, or following yard sale in single track?

I think you should max out at 450cc.  No need to go bigger, if you are just needing street legal to 'get you there' don't go big

live2ride

Ya the x is set up for competition but so is the wr450f and 450exc arent they?  I would think they all need maintenance just depends on how you ride and however buyist you maybe to the brand name.  Ive heard good things about all the bikes and each one has its flaws and perks.  I have heard good things about the KTM and my friends loves his 525.  Straight out of the box thats a good way to go, KTM's have great suspension and the best braking pry of all bikes and then you dont have to worry about getting it street legal and what not, however someone mention the 450exc suspension wouldn't do so well on the road but the 530exc I heard helps that.  They are also over 10lbs lighter than the honda and yamaha if thats of any interest.  I would definetly look at those four bikes.  Like justino said unless your traveling from state to state you really dont need more than a 450 and they still will keep up with guys on single tracks.  I would go see what deals are out there if youre gonna buy new may help your decision.     
I live life like the captain of a sinking ship

dmh2000

Quote from: Justino on February 09, 2009, 05:18:30 PM
Can you tell me what you intend to do with the bike so we can help narrow your decision?

I want to be able to ride (local) dirt roads and trails. not motocross.  probably not much jumping. Reliability is more important than performance. the street legal part is so I can get there from here without a trailer. super large adventure bikes are not what i'm looking for. i suppose a price range of 5 to 10k. thanks everyone for the help.
dave

dmh2000

Quote from: Justino on February 10, 2009, 10:57:57 AM
DR400

i like that. but i have a question: the Suzuki DR650 and Honda XR650L are actually cheaper by a few hundred $$$ than the DR400's. why is that? is it because they are ancient technology and the DR400 (as well as the other 450 class bikes) is more modern (ie liquid cooled etc). then is liquid cooled that big an advantage for moderate riding? it does have the downside of punctured radiators :)

i'm going to drag this discussion out to the very end :)
dave

jlavallee

Yes, you've about got it right. The 400 is a newer style bike with liquid cooling and more modern gauges where the 650 is a old school speedo. Other than a few upgrades the DR has been the same since the 96 revision and the XL dates back to the 80's XL600 just like until this year the KLR dated back to the 80's. Liquid is nice but yes, it is one more thing.

Personally, I don't see the logic in the DR400 since it is still to big to do any serious off roading and too underpowered for the highway. That's just me, I know guys who can but if I'm seriously off roading or riding single track trails all the time then I NEED a sub 300 lb bike.  On the other hand, if I can't go 85 with a tent, sleeping bag, folding chair on it and do state to state interstate on it then I don't consider it a dual sport. For what I do I'd actually like a bigger engine in the 650 chassis as I still find it too slow and I got the thing almost to 115 indicated on a bastard of a downhill in KY one time. With better tires it's MUCH improved off road but I've stayed on the death wings as they are really good on road (listed at 80% on, 20% off) because I do almost all asphalt. If I go off road I just take my time. The last time I got cocky off road was in 2005 and I tucked the front resulting in a broken collar bone. A 650 is NOT a dirt bike.

Sorry to say it but based on what I hear from your earlier comments you should probably go with a 450 based crosser converted for the street  and deal with the maintenance. If you honestly think you can really off road (unless you're a great rider) with a true dual sport you'll be dissapointed.

Here are my picks based on % on road, %off road

75% on and up, go DR650, XL650 etc.
51% to 74% on, go with a DRZ400
1% to 50% on, go with a converted crosser

Yard Sale

QuoteIf you honestly think you can really off road (unless you're a great rider) with a true dual sport you'll be dissapointed
Yeah, I gave up dual sports after a near-death experience with my DR350S, and that was a lightweight compared to the bikes the OP is looking at.

I've farted around in the dirt with my WR250X and crashed it when its 60 extra pounds got away from me while I was getting sideways. I wouldn't want to ride a bike of its weight or heavier on the trails I ride on my YZ250.

BTW, I think the XR650L can trace its roots past the XL600 to the XR500.

cobra23

If you honestly think you can really off road (unless you're a great rider) with a true dual sport you'll be dissapointed

Now there is a good summary of the situation.

Alas the eternal problem of "Dual Sport".

Ohhh and the XR 500...oh yea!! I remeber looking at those first 500's when they were brand new...tempted i was.....slightly lured by the 4 stroke "demon". Who would ever really want a four stroke dirt bike I thought. ;D

dmh2000

Thanks all for the help.  I'm converging on a 230/250, dr400 tops. I don't need a race bike.

but... on the NMS website they list a new 2007 Husaberg 450 enduro, made street legal for about $6700 otd. that's a steal. sweet!
dave

JetdocX

Quote from: dmh2000 on February 12, 2009, 12:40:34 PM
Thanks all for the help.  I'm converging on a 230/250, dr400 tops. I don't need a race bike.

but... on the NMS website they list a new 2007 Husaberg 450 enduro, made street legal for about $6700 otd. that's a steal. sweet!

I rode an older (much older) version of the Husa 400 from Kevin's fleet.  Great bike!  On pavement  and especially on the dirty roads.  But I'm used to riding 500+lb bikes on dirt, street, whatever.  How is the recommended maintenance schedule? 

The Husquevarna dual sport line has some sweet options as well, but the maintenance schedule sucks ass.  I'd be doing oil changes during day trips (well, not that bad but almost). 

Take a good look at the rear subframes of both bikes.  You probably fon't want to be hauling a lot of camping gear on either one, so short trips only for sure.

Justin

Less than a week before Sierra Slider returns.  I would definitely talk to him. 
2 nights ago I had a dream that you invited me over to show off your new dual sport.
In your garage was a brand new BMW GS 1050cc (When awake, I know that no such bike exists)
I was disappointed that you got something so big, but it looked really cool!
  It was a weird dream to have on valentine's day

Justin

FYI
My recent bikes, in order...
KLR650
I needed a bigger and faster bike for long trips
Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Triumph Sprint ST ABS (I rarely rode the v-strom on dirt and the multistrada was too expensive to insure)
then I met Jerome and went to my first track day.
Honda CBR600rr (identical to yours)
Now that one is track only and I put around on a
Suzuki DR 650.

The nicest of those recent bikes was the triumph.
The one that excels at it's designed task is the CBR
The KLR was a blast from NYC to the mountains of north georgia.
Vstrom.

I went from a single cylinder, to a twin, to a triple, to the 4,  and now back on a single.
Ducati should be next. (or a harley. . . hahahahahahaha)

dmh2000

Quote from: Justino on February 15, 2009, 06:06:16 PM
2 nights ago I had a dream that you invited me over to show off your new dual sport.
In your garage was a brand new BMW GS 1050cc (When awake, I know that no such bike exists)
I was disappointed that you got something so big, but it looked really cool!
  It was a weird dream to have on valentine's day

ok, the dream part is scaring me.

the more I look the smaller the bikes get. When I said dual sport in my post, I realize I really meant 'street legal trail bike'. and street legal only to get to the trails. and now I'm starting to think the street legal part may not be best. what with all the lights hanging off just asking to break. I think I'm down in the 250 range now, and now I am even thinking 2-stroke. A 450 would be wasted on me. it would be like buying a Hayabusa for the track.  I'm thinking 250 with a trailer hitch carrier.
dave