Main Menu

Motorcycle Vs. Car (fatal)

Started by Justin, September 23, 2008, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

A friend of mine told me about a fatal accident at "the foot of Mt. Rose Hwy on Saturday"
These are the details.
18 y/o intoxicated female driver convicted of DUI (perhaps more charges to come)
21 y/o male rider died.

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

yzinger

19. not convicted yet. but we were talking about this in CRJ class today. i am curous to see what happens in the case.  I already have strong feelings towards dewies...

trent

This is extremely sad! Not only did she kill a young man but ruined the lives of many people. Could you imagine being only 19 yo and having to live with that the rest of your life....
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

oldBolt

This is a crying shame.  Her lawyers will most likely get this to a reckless (no priors) 1 to 6yrs with a 5k fine. Most likely no prison time. I pull out my 9mm and waste you in the street, murder 10 to life.  When you drive drunk every thing that happens next is premeditated in my opinion.  Let's see how justice serves the public, a few years ago a young woman smoked some pot the night before and pulled out in front of a police bike and killed him.  It was a witch hunt for her.  Cop failed to obey policy and have his siren on while speeding down the road, bushes blocked view of street... etc.  Perhaps a true accident scenario, but she got 5 years and she was sober.  All that said I don't known all the facts, motorcyclist speeding, improper lane position, distracted by music in headphones etc.

Nice point about having to live with killing some one at the young age of 19.  I don't see much morality from the young people these days.  I bet she is mad at the biker for f_ _ _ing up her life.  Her picture reminded me of a self centered egotistical shallow pin head, but that may be because that could have me she killed. Every one deserves forgiveness not leniency.

Street vibrations has started, maybe this year none of those fellas will add to the tragedy of senseless vehicular death. 

"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Adiggity

Quote from: scotinexcile on September 24, 2008, 07:09:38 AM
Drinking and driving!!!!! Killing someone, hope she suffers for the rest of her life like the MC's family >:( No sympathy here
I'm very sorry to hear this news. I'm sure she feels horrible and probably wishes it was her that died instead. We all make mistakes and many of us have driven when we shouldn't have.....at least I know I have. What if she only had two or three beers? Would that be different than if she had 14 beers?  The only thing she did differently is have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm not by any means saying that drinking and driving is ok. It is not, but she is 19 years old for crying out loud. Did you never make bad judgment decisions at 19? She will be paying for hers. I can guarantee this will change her life forever. :-\

P.S. Some of us can't make good decisions at 31!!  :D :D

Adiggity

Quote from: oldBolt on September 24, 2008, 08:31:03 AM
  Her lawyers will most likely get this to a reckless (no priors) 1 to 6yrs with a 5k fine. Most likely no prison time. 
I highly doubt that. Have you not been paying attention to the way people (including you after reading your post) demonize someone who gets a DUI? The judicial system is very hard on those who kill someone during a DUI. I will be VERY surprised if she doesn't go to prison for a while.

QuoteI pull out my 9mm and waste you in the street, murder 10 to life.  When you drive drunk every thing that happens next is premeditated in my opinion. 
Now that would be premeditated. I very seriously doubt this girl had "plans" to get into her car after she was drunk and go out and run a motorcyclist down when she showed up at the party that night. Come on man.

Rand

The article says she turned in front of the motorcycle.  That could happen at any time, whether the driver is drunk or not.  It could have been a tweeker, that hadn't slept in 4 days.

When riding around town, you have to assume that anybody may turn in front of you at any time.  If you can't avoid it, you've got a big problem, regardless of who is at fault.  Riding a motorcycle in city traffic is dangerous. 

A DRAGON

Very true A-Diggity. The law has plenty of teeth when your the one in trouble. It's not a party for either side. Age and dependency on any chemical can change your judgement. It happens. We all make some bad choices every now and then some of them only affect us. Some affect others to.
I heard of a man at UPS driving his ATV out of Truckee chasing some friends on a dirt road  at 9pm after drinking with his buddies. He couldn't make a turn and drove off the road not wearing a helmet. He ripped off half his face. I heard he has died 3 times already. That was 2 weeks ago. I so pissed he put all his friends through that and they had to see it. Do you think his friends he was camping with will remember this for the rest of their lives? Bad move on his part.

I think all we can say is thank god it's no one that I know and be even happier it's not one of us. So if your riding on the street try and be aware of your surroundings. You can be doing everything right and your just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Your time is up. So try and enjoy every day as if it's your last day. Tomorrow is not promised to you. Laugh as much as you can and let the people in you lives know that you care about them and the ones you love don't hesitate to tell them when you can.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Adiggity

Quote from: A DRAGON on September 24, 2008, 10:04:25 AM
  So try and enjoy every day as if it's your last day. Tomorrow is not promised to you. Laugh as much as you can and let the people in you lives know that you care about them and the ones you love don't hesitate to tell them when you can.

Jerome, have I told you I love you lately?... I love you man! *Hugs*

A DRAGON

No you've told me I just never see you anymore.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Justin

There have been many mistakes made at 19 that I regretted at 22, and I regretted them even more at 28.  Although I have enough perspective to forgive myself for many things at age 37, I still very much regret those mistakes that were half a life ago.
I know that I wouldn't want to be the young lady.  It's so easy to demonize the girl, as motorcyclists who fear being killed. 
Imagine a young lady you knew at age 19.  It could be a daughter, a neighbor, a younger sister, your first girlfriend.
It's easy to hate someone we don't know, but change the name and the face to someone you care about. 
She probably feels like absolute shit, as she should.  I would hate to be her, I'd hate to be her father.
I'd hate more to be the family of the rider.
My frustration, anger, and confusion go out to both families.

Adiggity

A DRAGON

Quote from: Justino on September 24, 2008, 11:26:33 AM
There have been many mistakes made at 19 that I regretted at 22, and I regretted them even more at 28.  Although I have enough perspective to forgive myself for many things at age 37, I still very much regret those mistakes that were half a life ago.
I know that I wouldn't want to be the young lady.  It's so easy to demonize the girl, as motorcyclists who fear being killed. 
Imagine a young lady you knew at age 19.  It could be a daughter, a neighbor, a younger sister, your first girlfriend.
It's easy to hate someone we don't know, but change the name and the face to someone you care about
She probably feels like absolute shit, as she should.  I would hate to be her, I'd hate to be her father.
I'd hate more to be the family of the rider.

Ditto
My frustration, anger, and confusion go out to both families.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

oldBolt

Adiggity, only expressing my opinion I don't believe that's demonizing her.  As far as premeditation, she deliberately drank (under age) and deliberately operated the vehicle.
Back in the day we put people in jail (DUI) for sleeping drunk in the front set of your parked un-started car with your keys in your purse, pocket, jacket...etc (premeditation).  The point I was trying to make is you don't know what can happen when you operate a motor vehicle.  It's dangerous and full of uncontrollable variables.  Because she knew (assuming) that she was going to drive to a party to consume alcohol and drive home or to another party that makes her actions premeditated.  Just because she didn't plan to kill the motorcyclist is mute.  You give that argument up when you drive drunk. .  This isn't any legal argument, just my opinion: also if a pull out my 9mm and pop a cap in someone that's not premeditation.  If a tell people before hand or write out a plan then it is. Here again only my opinion.   As far as hard on her we will see. Here in Nevada I think that DUI causing death or substantial bodily harm is a class B felony: 2- 20 and a fine of 2 – 5k.  Prisons are full no money in the state to keep habitual criminals locked up not less first time criminal by accident (DUI).  So I stand by my opinion that not much is going to happen to her legally.  Civilly maybe she is wealthy and might lose some cash, that's hard to say look at OJ.  Just move to Florida and avoid collections on civil matters. 

Anyway this is very common accident according to the HURT report.  We all need to be careful and respectful of life as it is short as the real point.

Sorry if I may have offended any one, not my attention, just putting an opinion out there.

Best regards,

oldBolt
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger