Main Menu

What is the best dual purpose bike

Started by MnMTriumph, September 14, 2008, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MnMTriumph

What is the best bike for track and street looking at getting into more track riding next season and I think I would be better off getting rid of my Triumph sprint st. Was looking at the gsxr750, cbr600, daytona 675, and duc. 848(but not sure about the price tag).   Any other suggestions helpful.

JENX!!!

my vote......the new 2009 yamah R1 closest thing you can get to a M1 motogp bike!!!!! only thing is.....ITS FUGLY!!!!!!and untested. OR 08 yamah r6.....slipper clutch, throttle by wire, variable intake runners, 17500 redline and it looks soooooo good on race plastics.....but it not very comfy for the street., For both street and track....best bet probly is the new Honda CBR's. Ducati's are very nice and also EXPENSIVE!!!! both to buy and maintain......
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

zipbyu

I think a R1 is way too much for the track and a duck has too much maintance and pricer to fix if it were to go down.  I would stick to a 600 for track/street bike.

Team Gorgonzola

Something cheap, especially if you are starting your track day "career".
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

trent

The gsxr 750 seems to be a good all around choice.. Plenty of power for the big tracks and still nimble enough for the small ones.
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Oneup

any 600 or a 750. I would stick with a 600 but the 750 is a nice bike. Just pick the brand you like best. The power and weight are so close you won't notice a difference until you get faster. Suzuki and Yamaha are nice because there are so many used parts on the internet. The more popular bikes are easier to find parts for
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

weavefish

well dont get jenx on the used parts... i seem to get parts really cheap for my CBR600RR
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

JENX!!!

yeah I donno why.... but parts for my 03 r6 seems to be more expensive than others( atleast on ebay it is )......maybe its becuase theres a bigger demand for them? ::)

weavefish

Quote from: JENX!!! on September 14, 2008, 05:30:44 PM
yeah I donno why.... but parts for my 03 r6 seems to be more expensive than others( atleast on ebay it is )......maybe its becuase theres a bigger demand for them? ::)
so what your saying is people who ride 03 R6's crash allot?  :o lol  :P
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

MnMTriumph

Quote from: weavefish on September 14, 2008, 05:37:22 PM
Quote from: JENX!!! on September 14, 2008, 05:30:44 PM
so what your saying is people who ride 03 R6's crash allot?  :o lol  :P
I dont care who you are thats funny right there ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think the 06 suzuki 750 was the first year thay came out with the mode selector for horsepower so I could work up to the power but still have a good road bike. But after a few conversations with a few people I may just go to a track only bike. trying to figure out money. If I go track only I will stay with a 600. 

JENX!!!

cant speak for all r6 owners.....but I have. ::) hehehhehehehe., thankfully im still here. ;D

Justin

I switched from your bike one year ago to the CBR 600 rr.  I am very happy, with it, but because it is so new there are a lot of obstacles with trying to find parts you may want.  I'd get the GSXR 600 or 750, i think.  I don't know of anyone who is unhappy with them.  (I think If i did it all over again I'd do the gsxr 750 because I feel just a little too crowded on the 6.  I am a quarter inch shy of 6 feet tall.

weavefish

Quote from: Justino on September 14, 2008, 08:02:55 PM
I switched from your bike one year ago to the CBR 600 rr.  I am very happy, with it, but because it is so new there are a lot of obstacles with trying to find parts you may want.  I'd get the GSXR 600 or 750, i think.  I don't know of anyone who is unhappy with them.  (I think If i did it all over again I'd do the gsxr 750 because I feel just a little too crowded on the 6.  I am a quarter inch shy of 6 feet tall.

amen to that  ;D

Justin

Before buying any of them, check out the price to insure them. . . that turned me 180 degrees about the ducati i almost bought.  Also, I happen to think the suzuki sv 650 is one of THE BEST motorcycle produced.  You probably will toss the idea before you finish the sentence, but try to consider it.  Super inexpensive, great on the track, even more fun on longer rides, they sound cool, too.  I think you should keep the ST and pick up a sv also.   It's cheaper, and smarter, and you'll be a more skilled rider faster.
PS I can not keep up with the  good sv guys (it's not even close)

Justin

I am going to re-answer your question without reading your choices.  The SV650 is the best all purpose motorcycle, period.
It should be most sport riders choice for an all purpose machine.  I love that thing.
The standard version is the naked version.  Get that, then buy aftermarket plastics.  It will insure cheaper than buying the 'S' version.
You can buy the plastics with the insurance savings, (but the savings will keep coming year after year)