Main Menu

Need some advice

Started by Timex, September 06, 2008, 01:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timex

Alright.  I'm looking for some advice on a tire and sprocket combo for my 07-R1.  I think I've pretty much decided on the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT for the tires.  Unless somebody has some bad info on them.  Now, I was thinking of getting a 4 tooth larger rear Sidewinder sprocket and chain.  But a friend of mine told me to go with a 1 or 2 tooth smaller front sprocket.  He said it's cheaper and performs better.  I want considerable 1st gear torque.  Top speed is not so much of a concern (160-170mph) is plenty.  What do you guys think?

karneybo

For your sprocket choose I'd say -1 in the front and + 3 in the rear thats what I had done on my f4 and wow it was great love'd but had about a 12 to 13% speedo error.  I recently went back to my stock rear sprocket size and still have good take off speed and about a 6-7% speedo error but you can fix a speedo error with a speedo healer.  http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi
Carney

zipbyu

To my understanding. down one tooth is about  the same as addind 3 teeth in the rear.  If you add 4 teeth to the rear your chain may be too small, that is why people go down in the front and also add to the rear at the same time.   How muck quicker do you want to rev out? 
     I would go down one tooth($20) in the front to see how I like it, you should't have to change your chain.  At that point if I wanted quicker accelation still, you would have room to add another tooth or more to the rear while using the same chain.

trent

I ride an 01 R1 on the street and have the 2CT's. I love them... As for the sprocket... -1 in front is about the same as +4 in the rear... Mine had a -1 +2 when I bought it and I hated it. It revs out too quick. I personally dont know why you would mess with gearing on a liter bike unless you are trying to stunt or something or are at the track all the time. Any way I hope this helps.
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Timex

Thanks guys.  In the unlikely event I may want to do a willie ;) without having to clutch it or just get off the line better.  But it's good to hear you oppinion on the tires, I've heard all good things about them.  Keep the opinions coming!