Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Race Railz

Started by yzinger, August 28, 2008, 05:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yzinger

I think that is what they are called. anywho, I heard a rumor they were not allowed on the track (specifically RFR). Is this true? and if so, what is there reasoning behind it?

Oneup

I'm not sure if they are illegal to have on a track but you definitely do not want them on the track.  They take away from your ground clearance and will scrape through turns.  Also the low placement of the rails will make the bike more prone to flipping if you fall.  Believe me, the cost of a crash skyrockets every time the bike flips.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

trent

There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Oneup

02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

Justin

Quote from: Oneup on August 28, 2008, 05:47:54 PM
  Believe me, the cost of a crash skyrockets every time the bike flips.
Ask him how he knows :)

bfitforriding

Quote from: Justino on September 01, 2008, 10:25:31 PM
  Believe me, the cost of a crash skyrockets every time the bike flips.
Ask him how he knows :)

It is more of an "experience" thing now *LOL*

2wcp

I'm not sure if they are illegal to have on a track but you definitely do not want them on the track.  They take away from your ground clearance and will scrape through turns.  Also the low placement of the rails will make the bike more prone to flipping if you fall.  Believe me, the cost of a crash skyrockets every time the bike flips.

Race railz don't change ground clearance because of their placement.  Your probaly thinking of the stunt cages they put on bikes. The railz are supposed to be a compromise between sliders and a cage. But they will cause the bike to flip, because they are made of metal.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

yzinger

I dont get why they would flip tho. they have little slider pucks on them. I thought they woud be a good idea because they would not snap off like a slider.

A DRAGON

Wow those are pretty wild. After talking to Justino about the tracks on the east coast. I've have heard of sliders that fit over your foot pegs and bar ends made of plastic to keep the bike from gouging the ashpalt. I don't know if I would want anything like that on my bikes. I can see the protection issue is well covered.  But to each his own I guess.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

2wcp

Quote from: yzinger on September 03, 2008, 10:28:42 PM
I dont get why they would flip tho. they have little slider pucks on them. I thought they woud be a good idea because they would not snap off like a slider.

They will flip eaiser than a normal slider because they are made of Metal. Even the little pucks that go in the railz are made of Aluminium. Metal doesn't like to slide on asphalt, it likes to grip. Thats why most sliders are made of a material called Delrin. It is a hard plastic like material and it won't grip into the asphalt. If you get quality made sliders then you shouldn't have a problem. There will be situations though that it is impossible to keep the bike from flipping, like if it hits curbing or something else like that.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

MotoPutz

Been there, done that. I exchanged insurence info with that curb...