Main Menu

BMW Superbike prototype

Started by JENX!!!, August 17, 2008, 06:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JENX!!!

Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Oneup

I think it looks more like the Honda.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

Justin

The front end does look Honda. The tank looks like an R6.  The rest looks 100% Luftwaffe.

Did you notice that he revved the engine to cover the brake squeal ? 
I did.  :D
Those shifty germans.

weavefish

looks like i wont be buying one of those lol j/k its a Hondamaha  :o
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

JENX!!!

Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

JetdocX

It's got a CanBus.  You don't want to have to go see Lane everytime your bike won't start due to a burned out tail lamp. :P

Oneup

Quote from: JENX!!! on August 17, 2008, 08:02:38 PM
heres a better comparo....

Put a 600rr underneath it.  I would but I'm not that good with computers.

Team Gorgonzola

Does not have that "special" BMW look. It just looks like non-descriptive japanese junk ;D ;D ;D
Once again if you want a "original" looking sportbike, Italian is the way to go.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Oneup

BMW built this on a known and reliable platform.  Their intention is to race and be competitive.  They decided that they would do better with something proven rather than trying to work out the kinks on all of their other designs.  They are using what works.  Ducati has been racing for a long time so their designs have a lot of the bugs worked out.  They know how to make a trellis frame that works on the track and they know how to build a high horsepower v-twin(sort of).  Ducati uses similar "boring" designs when it comes to their suspension.  BMW has spent so much time messing with other ideas for different niches of riding they felt that the only way they could walk into a superbike class and be competetive is to go with a standard "japanese" design.  Aluminum frame, inline four, standard upside down forks and a linkaged monoshock in the rear.  And let's face it, the only way the italian bikes can be competitive is with a huge displacement advantage. ;D

dmh2000

Quote from: JetdocX on August 17, 2008, 08:30:26 PM
It's got a CanBus.  You don't want to have to go see Lane everytime your bike won't start due to a burned out tail lamp. :P

at least with CanBus you get data acquisition for free without having to add any wiring or sensors.
dave

JetdocX

Quote from: dmh2000 on August 18, 2008, 05:28:33 PM
Quote from: JetdocX on August 17, 2008, 08:30:26 PM

at least with CanBus you get data acquisition for free without having to add any wiring or sensors.

Nope.  The system was designed to require you to bring the bike to the dealer for maintenance.  That is it's only purpose.  You cannot even change the fuel map. 

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: Oneup on August 18, 2008, 10:18:40 AM
  And let's face it, the only way the italian bikes can be competitive is with a huge displacement advantage. ;D
And only two cylinder. And the same horsepowers as everybody else. The original design for BMW was the boxer engine. So for them, in order to compete the joined the inline four club. Ducati worked on it's product, the L 2 cylinders, until it got competitive. Their "boring suspension" made competitive the one sided swingarm; I don't see anybody else doing it!!! When they decided to go to MotoGP the use their L configuration 32 valve V4, basically 2 WSB engines side by side (with smaller displacement) and made that work. Let's face it, Ducati is the only non Japanese manufacturer that can win by following their tradition and, at the same time creating new technology Italian Style.
ps it's also the smallest manufacturer. ;)
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Oneup

I won't argue with the fact that they are competitive and hold to a strong tradition, I give them a lot of respect for that.  It's just that BMW wanted to be competitive right out the gate.  If they would have stuck with the boxer engine it would have taken years of devolopement and possible rule changes for them so they could compete, which is the route that Ducati took! :D

Team Gorgonzola

-Hunter S. Thompson-