Main Menu

sac to the bay

Started by Jimbo, August 15, 2008, 08:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

Has anybody heard of this ride of Sac to the Bay? I guess it's suppose to be the largest sportbike rally in the U.S.. They say this year they are guessing that about 5000 bikes will run from Sacramento to San Francisco, and at the end there will be a big party. Tickets are 20 bucks and it's going to the troops in Iraq. A guy I work with told me about it and wants me to go but I wanted to see if anybody else heard about it or have gone. The Speed channel is going to be there and it will be featured on the show Supebikes. The web site is sbfreaks.com I don't know how to put a link up not very good with computers.

XIII

I personally know the president of the Reno Chapter of the sbfreaks club and I can say that he is a good guy. I don't know enough about the rest of the crew though (I've only met a few of them).

HossZX14

Looks like fun..Anybody want to hook up and go??????
Yes I am a madass

MotoPutz

Quote from: KazeXIII on August 15, 2008, 08:46:44 PM
I personally know the president of the Reno Chapter of the sbfreaks club and I can say that he is a good guy. I don't know enough about the rest of the crew though (I've only met a few of them).

Yeah, if its still Troy, I know him and a few other SBFreak officers. Very nice guys.

Jimbo

The only thing to me is that the ride just goes from Sacramento to the Bay on 80. Just a straight road :(. Then from the pictures it looks like a bunch of tough guys doing burnouts. Then you either ride back that night or stay the night. Also I was wondering if anybody would wear full leathers from the pictures I think I would stand out like a sore thumb in a suit or bring an extra set of clothes to change in.

nvgixxer

Dayummm............hadn't a clue about this event!
WHEN???????
Hey I'd be very interested in doing it, even with the straight line shot down Hwy 80, an event like this would be "different" from the norm!
Ahhh OK............DATE: Sept 6. Leaves the Arden Fair Mall (off hwy 80 in north Sac) at 9:00AM.
Whew.....long day, Reno guys would have to depart at around 6:30ish, no later.
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

XIII

Quote from: Putz on August 15, 2008, 11:21:05 PM
Quote from: KazeXIII on August 15, 2008, 08:46:44 PM

Yeah, if its still Troy, I know him and a few other SBFreak officers. Very nice guys.

Yeah it's still Troy. I went to HS with him and only found out about his club about a year ago.

XIII

Quote from: Jimbo on August 16, 2008, 10:33:48 AM
The only thing to me is that the ride just goes from Sacramento to the Bay on 80. Just a straight road :(. Then from the pictures it looks like a bunch of tough guys doing burnouts. Then you either ride back that night or stay the night. Also I was wondering if anybody would wear full leathers from the pictures I think I would stand out like a sore thumb in a suit or bring an extra set of clothes to change in.

Here are the set of pics in question: http://www.sbfreaks.com/main/modules.php?name=gallery2&g2_itemId=9799

Quite a few of the do wear their gear though the sbf guys mostly just wears their vest.

Safety in numbers yet also means a very large target. Too big a ride for me.

JENX!!!

WOW!!! thats ALOT of bikes!!!! :o
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

n10sive

looks like fun...sitting in 100 degree heat in self created grid lock. Doesn't prove any point except that a lot of bikes can inconvenience a lot of people...even the bikers themselves.

If anyone goes, don't plan on it being a 'Sunday' ride to the bay area and back.  ::)

(oh...and is there any accounting for the money or is it a 'trust me')

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

nvgixxer

Quote from: n10sive on August 16, 2008, 02:55:48 PM
looks like fun...sitting in 100 degree heat in self created grid lock. Doesn't prove any point except that a lot of bikes can inconvenience a lot of people...even the bikers themselves.

If anyone goes, don't plan on it being a 'Sunday' ride to the bay area and back.  ::)

(oh...and is there any accounting for the money or is it a 'trust me')

Dale, you old devil dog you!! Always raining on the parade, aren't you!  ;D ;D
Yeah, you're probably right, Sept is the hot time of year down towards the coast...............argh! My poor ole gixxer would melt in that stop and go BS.
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

n10sive

Quote from: nvgixxer on August 16, 2008, 03:51:13 PM
Yeah, you're probably right, Sept is the hot time of year down towards the coast...............argh! My poor ole gixxer would melt in that stop and go BS.

Hey, someone has to be the fast old guy, you, and someone has to be the old cermudgeon, me  ;D

Also, my two cents...what I liked about the SSA is that it has been a proponent of motorcycle safety and responsibility and promotes "Take it to the track", and not street hooliganism. This ride looks like 'hooliganism' to me and I would like to see it's charter and proof that it sends money to the troops in Iraq before I would ever participate in it. I thinks thats a line of BS. Seriously.

Oh, btw, I am soliciting funds for the Fire and Police Benevolent Society of Oklahoma and greater Des Moines. Please send me money. Really (not)  :D

XIII

Quote from: n10sive on August 16, 2008, 05:07:17 PM
Quote from: nvgixxer on August 16, 2008, 03:51:13 PM

Hey, someone has to be the fast old guy, you, and someone has to be the old cermudgeon, me  ;D

Also, my two cents...what I liked about the SSA is that it has been a proponent of motorcycle safety and responsibility and promotes "Take it to the track", and not street hooliganism. This ride looks like 'hooliganism' to me and I would like to see it's charter and proof that it sends money to the troops in Iraq before I would ever participate in it. I thinks thats a line of BS. Seriously.

Oh, btw, I am soliciting funds for the Fire and Police Benevolent Society of Oklahoma and greater Des Moines. Please send me money. Really (not)  :D

I can understand a bit of doubt...but you don't know how this club operates. I would reserve judgment until you actually know of their operations. You are basically stereotyping and it's not cool. Like I said, the president is a good man. I went to a ride with him last year and ended up in a bar...but they didn't drink. They offered my girl and I some food and guess what they talked about? Organizing a ride for a fellow downed biker. Here's the kicker. They DID NOT KNOW the biker at all. They were trying to raise funds and a ride for the family and whatnot. Aside from that...they need to wear proper gear. I tried to get Troy to the track but he needed leathers at the time. I don't know if he ended up getting a set.

MnMTriumph

Looks cool and if the funds do go to the troops I would be all for it but I would just donate my funds. That heat that traffic (I could kill someone just driving up at the lake to work and back 14 miles round trip) I think ill stay away from the idiots in the bay(used to be one). ;D ;D ;D

n10sive

Quote from: KazeXIII on August 16, 2008, 05:22:50 PM

I can understand a bit of doubt...but you don't know how this club operates. I would reserve judgment until you actually know of their operations. You are basically stereotyping and it's not cool. Like I said, the president is a good man. I went to a ride with him last year and ended up in a bar...but they didn't drink. They offered my girl and I some food and guess what they talked about? Organizing a ride for a fellow downed biker. Here's the kicker. They DID NOT KNOW the biker at all. They were trying to raise funds and a ride for the family and whatnot. Aside from that...they need to wear proper gear. I tried to get Troy to the track but he needed leathers at the time. I don't know if he ended up getting a set.

I am not stereotyping at all, nor am I bad mouthing the president. Your missing the point. It doesn't matter how good SBF or anyone else is, the public perception of THAT MANY BIKES clogging up the road is not good, nor can you control all the riders. So again...I ask...whats the point other than to just show you can put 10,000 bikes on the road.

Yeah...and I am a skeptic. When 9/11 first happened everyone and there brother stood on the corner with a boot collecting money for 'the victims and the fireman' and yet not many dollars actually made it back there. I would still want to see SBF's charter and HOW they are going to get the money to the TROOPS. Until I see that, I just see it as a way for someone to get $200,000 without having to account for it.

Oh...and FYI, I PERSONALLY took donations raised by our town and fire department to the NYFD after 9/11, but I know that it was done with a charter and full accounting on both ends.