Main Menu

Bike suggestions

Started by chocotaco, July 30, 2008, 06:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yard Sale

I think dual sports (including motards) are the best beginner bikes if you can get over the tall seat height.

Cheap, superbly crashable, torquey flexible engine, light weight, good handling.

JetdocX

I would agree with Yardsale.  Riding a DS bike generally puts you up higher for better visibility, they are easy to ride, and the riding position is more comfy than having a tank stuck in your beergut. ;D  Great starter bikes, easy to park and you might even have a little fun ;).   Then move on from there.  Keep your starter bike because two bikes are better than one, don't you know.

Justin

250r MSRP of 3,499!!!!!!
are ya kidding me???
That's great if you want to buy new (or plan on financing it)
But the Suzuki SV 650 is outstanding, and it's definitely a big/fast bike.
It's damn near impossible for anyone to keep up with Jay or Zoran when they are on an SV
The SV is a good beginner bike (or all out racer) which means it CAN get you into trouble fast.
They call it a beginner bike, but that is really a lot of crap, because the same machine was the fastest around the track on sunday. 
My advice is to look at the insurance costs related to whatever you are interested.  It cold be a 500/year or 2000/year.  That will help settle things.
THe bottom line is you should get what you LIKE, and what you can afford, and know that even the slowest bikes have the potential to get you in WAAAAY over your head. 
Matter of fact, the bike i have has just been converted for track use only because I'll get into a lot of trouble with it.   I love the Kawi Ninja 250R at that price, and may pick one up for having some fun on the street. There is nothing wrong with bringing that bike to the track, too

weavefish

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=263

was thinking the same thing Justino. i did the price on a new 250R and was only like 97 smackers a month. i think it would be the best begginer if your end goal is sport bikes... has to be a 08 or 09 though cause they are more like a true sportbike than the earlier years.
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

chocotaco

I really appreciate all of the help. So I take it that either an sv650 or 250r are a good way to go?

n10sive

an used SV is only going to be slightly cheaper than a new 250R. Either way you are still talking $3k=$5k. I still think you could get a great learners bike for under $2k.

I learned to ride on a $200 bike back in the day. I didn't care if I dropped it and it taught me to wrench. I still think people are having you aim too high. Don't know your finances...but look in the want ads and find something and post back here. There are plenty of us that will help you pick a good cheap bike to learn on. I'll even bet you can find someone on here to go check the bike out for you too.

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Justin

Quote from: n10sive on July 31, 2008, 08:39:31 PMI still think people are having you aim too high. There are plenty of us that will help you pick a good cheap bike to learn on. I'll even bet you can find someone on here to go check the bike out for you too.
Yes there are those of us who will come help you check it out, even give a proper test ride before buying a used bike.    I don't know what the 'Aim to high' comment means, though.  I think even a used Ninja 250r is a good place to start.  You can probably sell it for the same price you payed in 6 months to 1 year.

n10sive

Quote from: Justino on July 31, 2008, 11:23:37 PM
Yes there are those of us who will come help you check it out, even give a proper test ride before buying a used bike.    I don't know what the 'Aim to high' comment means, though.  I think even a used Ninja 250r is a good place to start.  You can probably sell it for the same price you payed in 6 months to 1 year.

Aim too high as in price. Absolutely nothing wrong with a 250r except one thing...FIND ONE! LOL Kawi is raising the price on the new ones as they cannot keep them in stock so they are trying to put a check on demand. They are extremely popular right now so I doubt you would find an used one so I was suggesting finding an used bike for under $2k (low vs high price bike).
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Oneup

You can find the older style 250 for around 2000.  The great thing about them is that they will not depreciate and parts are easy to find.  They don't look as cool but still keep close to the same ergonomics and power.  Not a bad way to start.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

trent

Dont think that the SV or the 250r are the only choices though. I was recently looking for a track bike and came across some really good deals on CBR F3's and other older 600 models. Even though these are older bikes they still will perform better than you will for a while. Im always up for checkin out bikes with friends so if you need a hand let me know.
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Adiggity

I would recommend an SV as well, if the "sportbike" is what your looking for. A dual sport wouldn't be a bad choice but it's more like riding a dirt bike on the street. Just depends on what you prefer to ride. An SV has about 70-80 HP, so it is very forgiving for the mistakes you will make when learning. Plus, when you do need parts or advise on an SV they are widely available. And they are a TON of fun....but that applies really to all bikes. Good luck. Oh, and remember your head is the most important tool you have when riding any motorcycle. In other words, check your ego. It doesn't matter how "cool" you are, these things can kill you and they will not discriminate.  :)

....oh, and choco tacos RULE!!!  ;D

weavefish

Quote from: Adiggity on August 01, 2008, 12:20:25 PM
....oh, and choco tacos RULE!!!  ;D

BTW i found a website that sells Choco Tacos. they ship in dry ice and cost 29 smack-a-roos maybe we can go in on it... they even have fried ice cream choco tacos  :P kick it old skool
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Adiggity

Quote from: weavefish on August 01, 2008, 02:25:20 PM
BTW i found a website that sells Choco Tacos. they ship in dry ice and cost 29 smack-a-roos maybe we can go in on it... they even have fried ice cream choco tacos  :P kick it old skool
Hell yeah! I'd pitch in fo sho!

MotoPutz

We can all chip in and have them at bike night....

chocotaco

I never had one before, but I'll go in on some too.