Main Menu

Rolll Call - Icehouse/WWS/11 pines/MRR 08/03/14 8:30 AM

Started by GreenMachine, July 30, 2014, 09:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Jimbo, is there a fire somewhere down that way?

This weekend's ride was suppose to go over Sonora Pass & perhaps Ebbetts too.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: NevadaWolf on August 02, 2014, 07:24:06 PM
Just an FYI,

Ran Ice House, Wentworth, 11 Pines, and MRR today.

11 Pines, where it runs along the edge of the mountain and overlooks the canyon, had a crew was up there clearing the shoulders and the edges of the road are covered in broken leaves, sticks, branches, dirt, etc. Its filthy.

Nothing else I saw aside from the usual tar snakes and pot holes. A Sheriff was noting a downed tree along MRR but I presume that'll be gone before you guys ride.

Have a blast!
We did, thank you!

Just a followup on that.  The U.S. Forestry Service or some other agency is clearing the overgrowth on 11 Pines from that "Y" in the road a few miles south of French Meadows Reservoir.   At first it was just small pine trees they were toppling, but the bushes had overgrown the road pretty substantially in other sections.  I noticed that the first ride Dub and I went through there on last month's SSA Fecta.  They were pretty aggressive, clear-cutting out about 15 feet on both sides.  It doesn't look like a single lane pot holed, gravely, bumpy, mess of a road anymore.  Just a pot holed, gravely, bumpy, mess of a road with brush debris scattered throughout.  :-\
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

rg500nut

Sounds like a fun day, sorry I missed it but had too many chores, as I am flying to Indy fro MotoGP with my son on Friday.
Hope it stays cool.

2 strokes always...............

NevadaWolf

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 04, 2014, 10:48:24 AMIt doesn't look like a single lane pot holed, gravely, bumpy, mess of a road anymore.  Just a pot holed, gravely, bumpy, mess of a road with brush debris scattered throughout.  :-\

Hehehe, yeah, that was my thought too when I came around the corner where the crew was working.

Do you guys ever link in Wright's Lake Road? Was introduced to it on Sunday, just west of Strawberry. While the road itself is a match for 11 Pines on its goatness, the connecting road between Wright's Lake and Ice House (Forest Road 32) was fantastic!

GreenMachine

We haven't, but if you say there's a twistie road we're missing out on, you have me curious.  Do you have a Google Maps link to show where you're talking about?

NevadaWolf

Here's the route we took once we left Highway 50 and before reconnecting with Ice House Road. http://goo.gl/maps/Alh9R

There are a few smaller paved roads that connect to Forest Road 32 leading who knows where. The group leader knew how to get back to Ice House, so I just followed him. It was different scenery and a nice ride IMO.

If the short link doesn't work (I can't test it as goo.gl is blocked ??? ), here is the long version: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Wrights+Lake+Rd&daddr=Wrights+Lake+Rd+to:Ice+House+Reservoir+-+Wrights+Lake+Rd&hl=en&ll=38.814834,-120.306644&spn=0.106067,0.222301&sll=38.825801,-120.352564&sspn=0.053025,0.111151&geocode=FZ7QTwIdhq7V-A%3BFYa4UAIdlVXV-A%3BFcSEUAId1RjT-A&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=14&t=m&z=13

GreenMachine

Quote from: BluRzrBluesmurf was railing that BMW touring bike! ...