Main Menu

Rolll Call - Icehouse/WWS/11 pines/MRR 08/03/14 8:30 AM

Started by GreenMachine, July 30, 2014, 09:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

One minor big change.   ???  HAN!!!  I don't want to be on I-80 westbound with 40,000 tourists on Sunday.  NO WAY!  And there's absolutely no chance of slowdowns on I-80 eastbound anytime Sunday.  Westbound will be a parking lot though.  You'll see.

*** CHANGE to South Route Ride ***
I'M CHANGING THIS TO A SOUTH ROUTE RIDE instead.  Meet at the Maverik Country Store at the base of VC highway, KSU 8:30 AM.

RSVP* if you're interested in participating in this ride.  If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.

This is a C+ skill level ride that requires understanding of how to navigate narrow roadways and find your way through mountain ranges from Wentworth Springs road to 11 Pine and over to MRR.  Beginners welcome, but be aware it's not the riders dictating the skill level, it's the roads; they'll exact a price if not respected.  Icehouse & Mosquito Ridge road have unprotected corners with steep drops and some uneven pavement.   There's usually a fair amount of slow camper traffic that refuses to be courteous.  There are passing zones, but pass only when it is safe to do so.  Your ride leader will give you hand signals if it is safe or unsafe to proceed, but you are responsible for your own safety and it is your call to pass safely.  Also, going from south to north in a clockwise loop direction should make this route more fun and safe for all of us.

This is a South Route ride, taking us down quickly on Hwy 395 towards Minden.  We generally go up Kingbury Grade into S. Lake Tahoe and down Hwy 50 to Icehouse.  We'll make a fuel stop at the 76 gas station before making it to Icehouse, so if we get separated by traffic, the lead group will be there waiting.  Icehouse road will take us back to the left-hand turn off for WWS road.  We'll regroup and enjoy the corners.  From there we ride just past Uncle Tom's Cabin (about 7 miles in on WWS road to 11 Pines, on the right.  Regroup again and I'm assuming Mel will buzz off down in front of us.  Hopefully!!  :P  That takes us all the way back to French Meadows Reservoir where we'll turn left and continue heading north. Not much more to it after that, just follow the winding road (MRR) all the way down and across to Foresthill.  Depending on who's hungry or how warm it is, we can stop there for lunch or venture on or split up, if some need to get home early and don't want to break for lunch.

Foresthill to I-80 and I-80 home isn't challenging and doesn't really require instructions.

* RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

This one sounds right up my alley :)! Who else is going?

Mel

wills

Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

GreenMachine

I can sweep, if that makes a difference.  The ride leader can do whatever he/you wants.  :angel
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Oh man, GM I thought you would be leading and I'd get to run nose to tail with you on MRR so you could enjoy the pucker factor :)!

Mel

GreenMachine

I'd like to enjoy one ride with you Mel where your tire isn't nearly hitting mine unnecessarily.   :-*  Can I at least have that much?

wills

Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

rg500nut

2 strokes always...............

GreenMachine

Probably 275 or better.  Reno to Foresthill and back is 225.

lolfest

GreenMachine

Be aware of meet-up location change.  Do you know where Maverik Country Store is on SR-341?  See 2014 ride schedule for location if unclear.

Mel

Who else is going? I'll be out late tonight...going to Gilley's and/or Brew Brothers, so depends on when I get back home if I will make it ;)!

Mel

NevadaWolf

Just an FYI,

Ran Ice House, Wentworth, 11 Pines, and MRR today.

11 Pines, where it runs along the edge of the mountain and overlooks the canyon, had a crew was up there clearing the shoulders and the edges of the road are covered in broken leaves, sticks, branches, dirt, etc. Its filthy.

Nothing else I saw aside from the usual tar snakes and pot holes. A Sheriff was noting a downed tree along MRR but I presume that'll be gone before you guys ride.

Have a blast!

GreenMachine

PAPASMURF

sounds like it may be fun. think i may give it a shot. if i am too slow, i guess i will find out.
S1000R
R1250RS