Main Menu

Roll Call - Fort Bragg, CA in 1 day Saturday 6:00 AM KSU 07/26/14

Started by GreenMachine, July 23, 2014, 02:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

RSVP if you're interested.  Rather odd to attempt a run to the coast in one day, but we've accomplished this many times before.   This is a quest ride we occasionally do to escape the heat, ride the coast and take it all in. Forecast for Fort Bragg is sunny an 69*.  Reno 97*.

The route is a north route ride, where we'll go out and come back on hwy 20.  We're usually to Fort Bragg around lunch time and we've always eaten at one of the restaurants perched right there in their little harbor.  

Many times, we'll return straight back and a few times we venture up hwy 1, either to Leggett and back or to Fortuna and continue forward on highway 36 to Red Bluff, considered to be one of the top 10 motorcycle roads in America.  I'll just inform everyone though, doing hwy 20 & 36 in one day will put you back in Reno after 11:00 PM...unless you're Dub.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I'm interested.

I had to drive my car to Boonville about a month ago and all I was thinking along the way there and back was I wish I were on my bike instead, so I guess here's my chance. Plus I think it's about time I'm ready to step it up and go for one of these long ones.

GreenMachine

That's one crazy fool who doesn't know what he's in for.   :D

Not really.  We've had people ride on 600s two up who've made the trip.

And they stayed together after it too. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

610 - 740 miles depending on which route we take.

Where are all the touring guys?  :|)  This one is right you their alley.

Still feel up for it SL?  No shame in it if you're on the fence.  This ride's straight sections are brutal if you're not constantly relaxing and focusing on making it to the end.

Not a lot of sight seeing along the way for sure, except from the cockpit of your bike.  And not a lot of standing around.  I'll make sure the miles are churning under our wheels, with the exception of a lunch stop in Fort Bragg.

Here are some alternate routes in no specific order:
one
two
three
four

slmoto

I'm still up for it, more looking forward to it rather than on the fence. I like doing little challenges like this, that way when I set out to do less miles like 400-500 mi it never seems that bad in comparison.

Route one/three looks good, I've been on 253 in a car before and looks to be some fun and there is a good section of hwy 1 which is always beautiful. I could go either way about taking 49 vs 20 since it seems like 49 is worked into a lot of the other group rides. Maybe 49 on the way out to get some turns in before the long straights and return via 20 to keep cruising when we're more tired on the way back?

I also like route two since you still get a section of hwy 1 in and then I've heard a lot about 36 being a great motorcycle road and I haven't been on any section of it yet. The downside if you call it that is it's the route with the most miles but what the hell if we're going to do it might as well go for it all.

That's my opinion on the routes, I'd vote for route one/three or route two

GreenMachine

I like your spirit SL!  I've always been pumped when it comes to these rides.  And my level of excitement is heightening.

Now that I think of it, looking at the ride that goes through 49 in the morning doesn't seem like such a good idea to me, I wasn't paying attention to that.  AM deer.  Screw that!  We could try in the evening if it's before dark.  That'll be close.

#4 is one that can be done in daylight and probably has the most hwy 1 riding, since we're going out and back.  As dull as it looks, what you can't see on that route is that for about 15 miiles inland from the coast at Leggett is some of the best 15 MPH hairpins imaginable.  Slow enough to be safe, twisty enough to have fun and work on riding skills.  That's where BC always runs away from me on his big Connie.

The route of 20 & 36 is the big adventure.  If you can survive the distance, this is the way to go.  Nothing wrong with out and back however, since it'll familiarize you with some really good twisty coastal sections both ways.

We'll see how we feel when we get to Fort Bragg.  If you're as pumped as I'll be, we may end up doing the big ride.  If we're sore, just head back.  And if in between, we can figure it out if Pt. Arena and the goat road is in the cards.

[optional] Things to bring: small luggage for water and some food.  (As convenience or as emergency rations).
Focus on the map of where you can fuel up.  Figure on 150 - 200 between fuel-ups if we can (lots of leg swinging and riding positions changes as we go along), but we can also stop if one of us needs it, just signal the other.

GreenMachine

slmoto

Sounds good to me, I like the idea of figuring it out once we're there where we can assess our energy levels. I should be just fine to Fort Bragg. I'd like to squeeze in a bit of HWY 1 at the least. It's the way back that I'll most likely start to feel it, just where about on the way back is to be determined. I'll try and keep in mind the distance from the start so I can try and conserve energy and seat tolerance right from the start.

I was planning on bringing some water and bars and will restock when we stop for gas if need be.

I'm getting pumped. Bike's cleaned up, ready to get dirty all over again. Changed spark plugs and air filter a few days ago and the chain is cleaned and freshly lubed. I'm ready for the first challenge of waking up at 6am.

GreenMachine

Hey, if it's just us and we have to be up already, what do you think about a 5:30 AM or 6:00 AM start/KSU?  Reason being, sunrise is 5:53 AM. 

I mean, if we're up already, we might as well get through the boring freeway stuff earlier than later.  Truckee forecast is for 49° in the morning, which will feel damn cold until we can get some sunshine on our backs, but any time savings we can take in from the morning will give us more daylight in the evening.  Sunset is 8:20 PM.  The central valley will be over 100° for their high tomorrow.

I should pack my Garmin GPS too.  It's pretty good about telling me time to destination.

slmoto

How about 6am at Starbucks? Any earlier might be a little rough on me. I can get up, I'm just more worried about being able to fall asleep early enough to get a good nights rest since i don't normally go to sleep until midnight.

GreenMachine

Great!   See you there at 6:00 AM.  I'll try to be early so we can chit-chat and you can have a cup-o-joe too.

I still have your cell number, so I'll texted you when I'm up or on the road headed that way.

slmoto

GreenMachine

Rise and shine campers!

Who gets up this early to go riding?   :hangover   

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.  :D

GreenMachine

Jimbo must have already been up and back to bed by now.  :P

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 26, 2014, 05:11:55 AM
Rise and shine campers!

Who gets up this early to go riding?   :hangover   

I do, at least for today.

About ready to go, should be out the door in about 15