Main Menu

I've been re-infected

Started by Tahoebrian5, February 20, 2014, 04:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr1150

Go with a BWW 1200 GSA it's not too heavy.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

Tahoebrian5

I tried for middle of the road.. Put an offer in on a used rsv4 on eBay for 10k. We shall see
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on February 22, 2014, 09:51:46 AMI'd vote for that one, so long as it had enough power, handled well enough, and wasn't too heavy.

So you're saying he should make sure to buy a bike that doesn't suck? I agree.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

I sat on the s1000 BMW. I actually like it quite a bit. If I don't get the rsv4 offer accepted I might be going after a Beemer

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on February 22, 2014, 02:58:05 PM
Quote from: GreenMachine on February 22, 2014, 09:51:46 AMI'd vote for that one, so long as it had enough power, handled well enough, and wasn't too heavy.

So you're saying he should make sure to buy a bike that doesn't suck? I agree.
:D  More than that.  Sure, I can envision lots of bikes that romp all over my bike, but I wouldn't be happy with any of them, because they fall short in one area or another that's important to me.  That's what I'm suggesting.  I found a bike I love riding.  I love its shortcomings and its strengths.

Mel gets it.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Hey GM,

Couldn't have said it any better 8)! My FZ6 is my mistress, and even my wife doesn't mind :).

Mel

Grey Goat

Brian ... found your new bike

Tahoebrian5

Quote from: Grey Goat on February 23, 2014, 02:08:25 PM
Brian ... found your new bike

I was hoping for something a bit more... What's the word... Exotic

Tahoebrian5

Well no bite on my rsv4 offer, back to scouring CL. Surprisingly there's not a lot of sport bikes for sale in the Reno area right now. I'm really trying to not give in to the temptation to just go get a brand new bike.

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on February 24, 2014, 06:09:43 PMSurprisingly there's not a lot of sport bikes for sale in the Reno area right now.

Doesn't surprise me at all. It's winter. All the bikes are sitting in the garage and their owners are thinking "yeah, this is the year I'll get some riding in on it".

GreenMachine

Keep looking.  This is the fun part.  Who knows, you might come back with another CBR.  You certainly got around well on it.  If you manage to find a better bike for you, that will have to be some pretty special bike.

My true story was I went looking on CL like you did, but for other standard and touring type bikes.  Ran across this cool looking green bike, but didn't give it much thought, b/c I was looking for something much smaller or much larger.  Test rode several smaller and larger bikes, but found that they either weren't tuned well or sucked wind up here at altitude.  So I kept test riding more bikes, including two really sharp looking quick ZX-10Rs, one in Reno and one in Sparks.  

It took me 14 months of doing this.  Started thinking the bright green bike I remembered first seeing in CL might be worth looking into, if it's as good as the reviews claim.  That one was gone, of course. Found another model year pea-soup green bike, but didn't like it.  Found a second bright green one which didn't run very well at first either, old gas & clogged carbs, but the owner insisted I take it for another spin.  So I did and she started coming out of her garaged-for-2-years blues and charmed me to the point that I knew I had to have her.

RocketRider

IMO, you NV folks seem to ask WAY too much for a bike. No joke you can pick up the same bike in sac for a fair amount less (discovered this when I was considering a new bike)...probably even enough to recover gas/DMV expenses. Might be something to check out.
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

dub

Scouring Sac and Bay Area CL, in addition to Reno, is just standard operating procedure for me. I have bought used bikes off CL in San Jose, Sacramento and Reno. Gotta be willing to drive and get it when the right deal comes up.

dub