Main Menu

Who to contact to check the frame for straight

Started by Tahoebrian5, November 11, 2013, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I was digging for Zoran,s contact info but thought maybe I'd just post up. The forks are leaking a little but no visual damage to the frame and triples. Anyone know someone local that checks frames?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

288RR

Tahoebrian5

Log fell off an oncoming truck and landed right in front of me. Leathers n armor saved my life most likely but still got pretty beat up.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

288RR

dub

I don't know of anyone local to Reno; never heard anyone talk about it.

But Gerry Piazza of GP Frame and Wheel is one of the best out there, period, and he is just a short drive over the hill in Woodland.  http://www.gpframeandwheel.com/

I heard about your wreck, GM posted up over on SCR (not sure why he didn't post here??). Glad to see you are doing well enough to think about repairing the bike. Heal fast, ride on.

*ps, did you know your front wheel is bent? :p
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

:o

I don't see how the bike could withstand that much brunt force without the suspension getting tweaked or adding some play somewhere down the line.  That's an amazing amount of damage.  You were very fortunate and smart.  ATGATT.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on November 11, 2013, 11:02:30 PMI don't see how the bike could withstand that much brunt force without the suspension getting tweaked or adding some play somewhere down the line.

It certainly can't. That's why it needs to be measured. The forks are probably bent, that's why they are leaking. And it's possible the triples and head stock are bent too.

As the manufacturers search for higher and higher performance, the answer often leads to less weight. In order to make it lighter you either need to use a more expensive material or just remove material from the existing part. They choose the latter. We are at the point now where manufacturers have sacrificed so much durability in the name of weight savings that a simple low side can bend the forks and triples.

My bike has been crashed twice. Both minor. It's probably bent. Not enough to notice or make it ride poorly. But, I would probably find it easier to ride and/or go quicker if I had it measured and replaced/repaired the bent pieces.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

Thanks dub, I checked out their website and not too far to drive for a good cause. I sent off an email. Hopefully she can be saved!

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on November 11, 2013, 11:01:14 PM

I heard about your wreck, GM posted up over on SCR (not sure why he didn't post here??). Glad to see you are doing well enough to think about repairing the bike. Heal fast, ride on.

*ps, did you know your front wheel is bent? :p
I want to say it was because of proximity and opportunity to ride. Figured more SCR folks might still be riding, while most of us wouldn't.  Seems that route might me closer to their neck of the woods, so to speak.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on November 12, 2013, 06:16:57 PM
...Hopefully she can be saved!
Did you call Moto Source or TWCP too?  I imagine they've seen plenty of accident victims and could probably give the bike a road-worthiness rating on whether it is sound or bent.  I would think their seasonal business has slowed quite a bit.

As for restoring, I'd be suspicious and cautious.  As much as I love my bikes, if they were potential hazards on the road, to my health or others, I wouldn't ride them.  Not saying I'm not a hazard.  :P  More like, just trying to give you some advice, from someone who's been in similar circumstances.

Tahoebrian5

I'm not worried about being able to safely restore the bike. Long as the frame n forks are good. It'll be a track only bike though assuming I go forward.