Main Menu

Signaling Other Riders

Started by al, June 17, 2008, 05:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al

I went on the Ice House Rd. ride. Great fun! One little scarry moment when I hit the peak at Kingsbury a bit hot. Thanks Jerome for the tips....tried out different methods of steering....surprising how responsive the bike is to inputs on the foot pegs such that long radius turns without input to handlebars are easily made. I remember talking to a few riders at Starbucks about leaving early to make an appt. w/ gf but some apparently did not know. Jimbo thought that I may have crashed, although I did turn around in front of Ron whom I spoke to right after we stopped for a short break before ascending Ice H. Rd. It may be reasonable to come up with some way of signaling other riders if we are leaving early or have some other need.....out of gas, exhausted, who knows?!!!!!! Going home could be: forearms raised horizontally in the shape of a capital H. No Gas could be a V (drained out) position. Dehydrated.....hand on throat? Should we come up with some other signals? What do think?
Al

Adiggity

That's a good idea Al. I know that in the endurance races, if we need gas, we point to our tank. I would recommend coming up with something that doesn't require 2 hands though. Maybe give a salute or something if you are going to leave.....or maybe a middle finger..... :D No, but really, I think it would be a good idea to come up with a universal sign for certain things. But you don't want everyone wanting to stop every 5 miles either. I think that is why you all plan on stopping every so often anyways, right?

nvgixxer

Quote from: Al on June 17, 2008, 05:54:24 PM
Dehydrated.....hand on throat?
Al

Hey Al, heres one: if you get to feelin' dehydrated, let ME put MY hand on YOUR throat! You won't be thirsty for long!!  ;D

Jimbo
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

russtman

yo diggity ----  I can make the letter C with one hand.  :-*      ( middle finger )   ::)
Need  money!!!!   WILL WORK FOR TRACK DAYS.

n10sive

If someone cannot make the whole ride, they need to let the group know before hand. Then when the pre-arranged spot for leaving is reached you just wave good bye and go on your way. No fancy hand signals needed. You shouldn't be bailing out early on a group ride unless EVERYONE knows it first. That way it doesn't matter who is by you when you go as the person you told might be riding more spirited up ahead. ALWAYS check out by letting someone know you were OK up to the pre-arranged departing point too. This way people don't worry about you and think your in a ditch somewhere.

Also, if you have a small tank and need more fuel, say so up front. The ride leaders will gladly add fuel stops to meet your needs.

Not to sound harsh, and not aimed at the poster, but if your running out of fuel or making them go looking for you because you didn't discuss these things at the designated stops, then your not doing the group any favors. Communications is key to a good group ride IMHO.

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

yzinger

need gas: tap gas tank
need food: tap mouth (where it would be on a helmet)
splitting off: the good ol' middle finger  :o
those are the ones we use. pretty common...

Johnny

I haven't done a street SSA ride yet this season (track is where it's at) but when I/we go we usually have a leader and a sweeper (experienced rider in the very back).  Usually Jerome or the leader gives a speech about safety talk and how we ride as a group; ie. lift leg and point foot to debri, dead animal, etc.  Where our next stop will be.  There are many other things we do but I'm just too tired to remember them right now.  Some of you seasoned SSA guys better chime in cuz I'm going to bed!