Main Menu

Traveling with bike in Uhual???

Started by dtatum6, June 16, 2008, 04:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtatum6

Hey guys i am getting ready to move and i wanted to know if any of you have ever put your bike in a Uhual truck along with other stuff and moved? Where in the truck is the best place to put it? And what should i pack around it? How should i tie it down?

I have a pitbull rear stand and was thinking i would use that but not sure where the best place to put it is or how to tie it down so it doesnt get messed up.

Suggestions?

buell12r

yea I have
got a uhaul that was to big for all the stuff
packed the Uhaul first then tied it forward
chalked the tires and tied the bike forward and backwardso it wont move (it may fall down if you dont)
the stands i'm not sue I didnt have them
basicaly haul it like a trailer, and tie it good

karneybo

I hualed mine to Phx and back in a 10 convertion van. Going to Phx I had my bed one piece on each side of my bike with all my stuff alone the sides of the truck, so If the bike came loose it would just fall on the bed.  I even covered my bike with blanks.  Return basically the same thing just didn't have the bed.  Use good racheting tie down their leese likely to loosen, front end and back end of bike.
Carney

Timex

I did this a while back.  For me, it was worth spending an extra 40 bucks to rent a medium enclosed trailer.  It has a low loading base and 2 D-rings in the front.  I used 2 racheting staps on the risers connected to the D-rings racheted down tight to the front of the trailer.  That will keep it from sliding front/back or falling left/right.  If you have a rear stand, it couldn't hurt.  Put blankets on it and pack some small stuff around it.  As long as you have good staps that don't slip, it shouldn't move at all.

Adiggity

I travel to California/Utah from NV at least once a month. All I do is put the bike in my sport chalk, tie it down at the front (pulling it forward slightly) with a canyon dancer. (Get it tight but you don't want to REALLY crank it down. It's bad for your forks to crank them down too much) Once you have it tied down there, run some straps from your passenger foot pegs back to your tie down hooks and cinch them down. Grab the bike and give it a good wiggle to see how stable it is. You may have to tighten it down a little more until your comfortable with it's stability. You'll know when it is right. Then pack your stuff around it being careful to not pack it in a way where anything will fall on the bike. The key is to have the front straps pulling forward, the rear ones pulling backwards and you shouldn't have any issues.

Good luck and have a safe trip. Take care.  :)