Main Menu

Trip Report - 1650 mile road trip

Started by n10sive, June 15, 2008, 10:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n10sive

Hey all. Just got back from my first long distance ride. I needed to see my dad up in Oregon who is being treated for cancer, so I combined a business trip and a social trip and took off for a week. I did not have much time to sight see on the way up and I needed to go to Portland and then on to Tacoma. Since I was in a hurry, I just went to Oregon via Hwy 36,44,89 to Shasta and then up the 5.

Got some rain up in Oregon and Washington early in the week, but coming back on Wednesday I finally got some sun. Weather was mostly 60 and wet on the way up. A little warmer and sunnier on the way home.

Made pretty good time leaving Reno last Saturday. Made it to Roseburg Oregon in about 7.5 hrs. Roads were clear and not a lot of traffic (gas prices?).

Once I got my business taken care of, I came back to my dad's and took him to a chemo treatment and did some work around his house for him. He lives out in the boon docks of Oregon where 3 creeks come together. No noise, cool water, wind through the trees...a cold beer with Dad...was nice.

Decided to take two days to come home and do some sight seeing. I took a bunch of back roads through Oregon and actually had periods of up to an hour without seeing another car. It was so cool riding on these perfect windy roads with no traffic and cool temps! Here was my  route (google map) home.

Followed the Umpqua River out of Roseburg. First stop was 'colliding rivers'

Umpqua river

Stopped at Crater Lake. What a view!!!

Made a stop to visit a guy from BARF (t-1 Thunder and me giving the BARF salute)

Eagle Lake outside of Susanville

Spent the night in Susanville and then rode on into Reno on Sunday.

Had a good time and learned a lot on my first long road trip. I actually hit a deer outside of Klamath Falls. Me and the deer are fine. I clipped his back leg with the front tire. Was pretty scary to see this guy jump out at me at 75mph. My SSA trackday time paid off in that some severe braking and maneuvering was required to keep from smearing him and myself all over the highway!  :D

I also had encounters with 18 wheelers, turkeys, a vulcher, cows...you name it LOL

Would be fun to do a two day ride back to Crator Lake with the SSA. The route I posted above I am dubbing the "No Flat Spot Route" as the only straight highway was from Klamath to Canby at the California border. All the rest was perfect twisties in some georgous country!

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Resistor

My work is blocking the pictures, I'll have to wait until tonight to see them.  >:(
Glad you made it out just fine with your encounter with the deer, that is one of the things I always have in the back of my mind when riding at dawn or dusk.
2005 GSXR-600

MotoPutz

Yeah, my friend T-boned a deer doing 55 on a DR350, it wasn't a pretty picture.

Adiggity

Nice. I can almost smell the air in your pictures. mmmmm......

n10sive

Quote from: Resistor on June 16, 2008, 08:56:38 AM
Glad you made it out just fine with your encounter with the deer, that is one of the things I always have in the back of my mind when riding at dawn or dusk.

Dawn or dusk? yeah...I thought the same thing. This was afternoon and totally unexpected. Normally you don't see them in the middle of the day like that.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Resistor

That picture of Crater Lake looks so refreshing, I can just feel the nice cool air entering my lungs...
2005 GSXR-600