Main Menu

Which GPS do you own and what do you like/dislike about it

Started by GreenMachine, March 07, 2011, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Okay, I'll start.  Please give me input on what GPS you use, whether it doesn't have to two inaccurate features that drive me crazy and whether you'd buy your model again.

I really feel like I got burned on my GPS system.  Mom wanted a newer one, so I took her old one (what a nice son I am).  :-\ No research done on her part.  She saw their commercial and wanted it for Xmas.  Not how I'd do it, but it's what she wanted, so it's what she got.

What a stupid device!  Here are the two things that drive me insane:
1) When searching for an address, if the GPS knows the street has a North, East, South, West preceding it, it requires that I know what it is before it can direct me to that location.  For instance, West Plumb lane.  What if I was from out of the area and it was night, how in THE hell would I know whether or not Plumb lane has West or East.  So when I'm typing an address, it may take several attempts, because it won't know the street I'm typing in, simply because it requires that I know that the street has a N, E, W, or S in it.  Give me a break!
2) Shortest route or Quickest route?  It doesn't matter, it wants me to cut down side streets, turn into neighborhoods that zig-zag to the destination, won't allow for turns across parkways and often requires making U-turns.  Who makes U-turns to get to a destination? Who wrote this software, :tard someone doing it as a joke?  Do any GPS systems have the ability to take the route with the least amount of turns, i.e. go this way for 4 miles, turn left and go that way for 2 miles, or the least amount of stops?

Your input is appreciated.

For the record, mine is the TomTom XL.  What a POS!  :fail :rant  :thumbdown
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

elkor1

In the settings there should be a place to turn off the u-turns. I've only used tom tom two times and not had that problem. The N E S W problem i never noticed, but maybe didn't use it for streets like that. I bought a Garmin nuvi, i like that it gives a lot more options when you search for things than tom tom did. I know for sure with the garmin you can set it to avoid u-turns.

n10sive

I have a Zumo 550 on my bike (it also has a car mount). It's been "ok". But just like Mayhem in those commercials it asks me to turn around a lot LOL For instance, I was heading to Sac and took Hwy 88 to 89 to 50 (Carson Pass was closed due to snow). It did not even know 50 existed in the route and all the way up 89, and down 50 to Strawberry it kept going "In 1/8th a mile, please turn around....recalculating....in 1/8th a mile please turn around....recalculating.

I had a group of Boy Scouts in the car with me and we thought it was funny as hell....until we got over Echo Summit and it was still doing it. Then everyone pulled out there scout knives and tried stabbing the unit!  :rotflmao

Now, whenever I see this commercial I LMAO ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXM_g3mqew
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

HossZX14

I use the GPS on my Android..Works fine for me.. It's a Huawei Android Phone
Yes I am a madass

dub

I use the one on my iPhone.  It always gets me where I need to go.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: n10sive on March 08, 2011, 08:47:29 AM
I have a Zumo 550 on my bike (it also has a car mount). It's been "ok". But just like Mayhem in those commercials it asks me to turn around a lot LOL For instance, I was heading to Sac and took Hwy 88 to 89 to 50 (Carson Pass was closed due to snow). It did not even know 50 existed in the route and all the way up 89, and down 50 to Strawberry it kept going "In 1/8th a mile, please turn around....recalculating....in 1/8th a mile please turn around....recalculating.

I had a group of Boy Scouts in the car with me and we thought it was funny as hell....until we got over Echo Summit and it was still doing it. Then everyone pulled out there scout knives and tried stabbing the unit!  :rotflmao

Now, whenever I see this commercial I LMAO ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXM_g3mqew
Oh shite, n10sive!  That one's a keeper.  That one must be new.   :rotflmao :rotflmao
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

A DRAGON

I have the Garman Zumo as well.  Paid to much for it.  But I really liked the Salesman.  He was very through.  It has all the bells and whistles I wanted.  It's set up for a motorcycle.  I need to down load an update from their web site.   It does very well.  I like it a lot.  Regina really needs it.  It helps her so much. 

I know I have 3 setting on it for the route I want to take.  Scenic, Fastest and I can't remember the other one right now.

Hope yours comes together.  I know youngsters is in his phone and he's very happy with it. 

Good luck my old friend.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Rick Bay (BRA)

I have the Devo phone my GPS it is in there. I love that machine. Works pretty good.

Team Gorgonzola

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Scott

GSX-R600

A DRAGON

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on March 09, 2011, 09:44:35 AM
My wife is my GPS...lotsa great options :D

I SAID TURN HERE YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!  i'M TRYING TO READ THE MAP AND YOU JUST WON'T LISTEN!!!!   ARE YOU RETARTED OR WHAT??????    YOU WANT ME TO DRIVE???????      "Like a good neighbor.  State Farm is there"...... " With a new Husband"      :hbang
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike