Main Menu

Suggestion - host a "how to" wrench discussion

Started by Dandelion, June 04, 2008, 10:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandelion

Hey as a new rider I've been learning to wrench on my bike from my husband, friends, peeps, et al.  8) It would be really helpful I believe, to other riders as well as myself, to have an opportunity to ask questions and see a wrenching "how to" segment.  There are many of you who rebuild engines, work as mechanics, and have volumes of knowledge on bikes in general.  I for one would love to see/hear more of how you do, what you do since safely maintaining our machines makes us better riders as we learn the mechanics of why and how our riding is effected. 

Some ideas...
-routine maintenance (oil changes, cleaning the chain, inspecting the cables)
-tires (how old are they?, heat cycles, DOTS vs. slicks, when to replace, where to buy)
-suspension (setting your SAG, what incorrect settings feel like, dialing it in)
-brakes (inspecting, replacing pads, replacing fluid and bleeding)

Even if I know how to do these things I always enjoy listening to the discussion as someone has a tip, tool, or product I haven't heard about.  So how about it gearheads and grease monkies?  :)

Adiggity

Great idea. I read a book called Smooth Riding by Reg Pridmore. (Jason's dad) It was a great book and I highly recommend it to everyone who rides. In the very beginning it talks about routine maintenance and how important it is to inspect your bike for certain things before every ride. It is worth getting a little routine going on your inspection procedure before you go out. Check oil, tire pressure, tires, brake pads and retainers, make sure nothing is falling off. It would make it worth it if you found something that saved you from a spill that could've been prevented by a 5 minute inspection.

:D :DI guess I should be real though, we live in a world of fast food, 5 minute abs/buns and check cards. Nobody want to take an extra 5 minutes to inspect when they could be riding. :D :D

smoothduc

I knew I always liked you Karen???
Sitting back and watching the replies, great post. I've done that sort of thing (grease monkeying around) so long ago, none of it applies anymore. I'm looking forward to get some continuing education here. All ears open guys.... :P :P :P

Yard Sale

I need to take the forks off my bike. Might be a good opportunity to see how to remove the front wheel and forks.

dmh2000

removing front (and rear) wheel would be an excellent intro as it seems one can save some $$$ by removing the wheel when buying a new tire. I wouldn't feel good about doing it myself without seeing it done at least once.
dave

karneybo

Eric you looking to do a fork service yourself there.  If so Im looking for more fork experance, Ive done then on bench forks but never on a road worthy bike.
Carney

Yard Sale

All I'm going to do is install Seal Savers, neoprene booties. I changed the oil in my TZ250 forks over the winter and changed the springs and oil in my F4i forks in the spring, so I won't be servicing forks unless a seal starts leaking. The main idea was to show how to R&R a front wheel so you don't have to have the shop do it when you need the tire changed.

Adiggity

You guys could come to a race and see it done over and over again many times. Only $10 for the whole weekend plus you get to watch some racing.  ;D

Dandelion

Sure that sounds interesting Eric.  Where and when?