Started by GreenMachine, July 15, 2010, 02:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Normal departure time: 9:30 AM W. McCarran Starbucks (attire)*

Annual Swim Ride Route <here>
hwy 80 west to 89 north to 49 west to Downieville
west/south on 49 to swimming hole
Return via 49 south to N.V. City to 20 east to 80 east

Post up who's going and/or report on water currents at the park.

Sacramento & Nevada City weather forecast.  Anticipated sunny with 40% humidity & temps 95* - 100*  :P

* Attire: For this one ride most people dress in jeans/textile outfits with swimsuits underneath.  Other rides, we suggest full protective gear (heavy leathers etc), but since there are no lockers, jeans work best.  Please, no flip-flops and swim suit shorts during the ride.  It's not worth the risk.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

sparkygixxer

;D ;D ;D  I'm back, so definitely put me on the list!!!

Justino

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 15, 2010, 02:43:54 PM

Post up who's going and/or report on water currents at the park.

is there an alternative swimming hole option?
I love this place a lot, but I'm also really fond of breathing.
Riding on the street is a lot like living with your parents.

Team Gorgonzola

The "rapids" can get gnarly when the water volume increase. The swim hole, downstream, (the part where it's slowing down and form a large puddle, with a slow current) pretty much stay the same. I have seen it both ways, no problem. If people go up trough the rocks, very smooth and slippery, they need to wear, river shoes for traction and keep a safe attitude. I slid for about 15 ft once, and realized that the granite at the bottom (where you come to a sudden stop) is everything but giving ;D
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

GreenMachine

Dean (no Internet boy) will meet up with us in Sierraville Sunday.  He's also reporting that the river flow isn't what it's made up to be.  Probably worst case will mean we'll find pools up or downstream from directly under the bridge. 

Sign me up too.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

I'm in for my first SSA sunday ride. :)

GreenMachine, I'm glad you mentioned in the other new rider thread that most people wear jeans/textiles w/ swimsuits underneath for this ride otherwise I would have shown up in full leathers and felt stupid.

I'm thinking I want to come up from the south shore and hook up with you guys where I-80 meets 89/267 in Truckee.  Is that something that would be doable?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

You're welcome.

Yes.  Our rides are informal.* Join up where you feel comfortable.  If it were me I'd sit in the shade under a pine tree around the 89/267 round-about north of the I-80 off-ramp.  But that's just me.  I'm crazy like that.  ~10:00 - 10:20 AM I would imagine.  We'll be stopping at the convenience store in Sierraville too, so if you're running late, many have caught up there.

* You pick where you're comfortable riding within the group (front, back, middle).  We generally ride staggered formation until about Sattley, then single file after that.

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: dub on July 15, 2010, 08:15:40 PM
I'm in for my first SSA sunday ride. :)

GreenMachine, I'm glad you mentioned in the other new rider thread that most people wear jeans/textiles w/ swimsuits underneath for this ride otherwise I would have shown up in full leathers and felt stupid.

I'm thinking I want to come up from the south shore and hook up with you guys where I-80 meets 89/267 in Truckee.  Is that something that would be doable?

Hey, I am one of those guys with full leather suit all the time, I just feel kinda naked without.....I went down twice at a race track and walked away unscathed both times...so that 's it for me ;D

AGATT= All Gear All The Time  ;)
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

GreenMachine

Wait.  You told me track riding was completely safe.  >:(

Dress as you wish.  Just no thong underneath okay?

Gross!

youngster775

I will be there, and I too will be in full leathers. ride+leathers=safety. I like my skin.
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 15, 2010, 08:48:54 PM
If it were me I'd sit in the shade under a pine tree around the 89/267 round-about north of the I-80 off-ramp.  But that's just me.  I'm crazy like that.  ~10:00 - 10:20 AM I would imagine.

Sounds good.

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on July 15, 2010, 09:36:40 PM

Hey, I am one of those guys with full leather suit all the time, I just feel kinda naked without.....I went down twice at a race track and walked away unscathed both times...so that 's it for me ;D

Yeah, I do prefer the leathers on a recreational ride, especially if teh twisties are involved.  My original idea was to just cram the swim suit under the pillion seat of the SV then find a tree or big rock or somewhere out of sight to change behind.  Maybe I'll still do that.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

A DRAGON

Quote from: dub on July 15, 2010, 10:20:16 PM
Quote from: GreenMachine on July 15, 2010, 08:48:54 PM
If it were me I'd sit in the shade under a pine tree around the 89/267 round-about north of the I-80 off-ramp.  But that's just me.  I'm crazy like that.  ~10:00 - 10:20 AM I would imagine.

Sounds good.

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on July 15, 2010, 09:36:40 PM

Dub Good Idea. WE always wear out lether when we ride. If you have them. Wear them. That's priorty.  You can wear your leather under your suit too.  Also bring some water shoes and Googles if you have them. They help. 

This is Jerome I'm in too for my annual swim ride.

Yeah, I do prefer the leathers on a recreational ride, especially if teh twisties are involved.  My original idea was to just cram the swim suit under the pillion seat of the SV then find a tree or big rock or somewhere out of sight to change behind.  Maybe I'll still do that.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Justino

Leathers 100% of the time. 
There's always shade to be found under the bridge, Usually someone is near the gear, but I've never felt that my property was at risk.
Finding privacy to change is doubtful, can't you wear a bathing suit under the leathers? 
Your suit will be totally dry by the time you get back up to the bikes.

Riding on the street is a lot like living with your parents.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine