Main Menu

Where should I ride out of Auburn?

Started by Tahoebrian5, February 01, 2010, 01:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I'm planning on trucking the bike down next week, anyone have a good loop for this time of year?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Not that exciting of an ride, but scenic would be the country roads encircling Sutter Buttes near Marysville.  Tons of 15 MPH hairpins, some slow up-down S turns and lots of barbed wire if you mess up.  Pashnit has a thread showing a different road that goes up it as well.

BTW, I went over I-80 yesterday.  It's mostly bone dry.  EZ over both ways so long as you make it a quick day trip, are home before dark and don't mind the dirty spray thrown up from melting snow from the shoulders.  It was 25 degrees in Truckee by 11PM Sunday.  Lots of riders out and about in Sacramento Sunday as well.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Thanks for the info, Im thinking middle of next week if the weather cooperates

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

MotoPutz

You could get lost in them thar hills!!

com3

Quote from: Putz on February 09, 2010, 05:45:26 PM
You could get lost in them thar hills!!

i've prolly put ~4-5k miles on that road doing laps.

GreenMachine

I always wondered where the sky-high bridge went.  Ooooo.  Gonna have to put that on the list of 2010 rides.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

CptnHornblower

One of the best roads I've found in CA is Icehouse Road. On a map it looks like a piece of cooked spagetti. From Auburn head south on 49, then take a left on 193 at Cool, take another left on Icehouse Road at Georgetown. Things really get fun when you get to the reservoir. Icehouse takes you to 50. When you get to 50 you can go back to Auburn via 50 and 49 through Placerville, or do a uie and go back the way you came ;D
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

n10sive

Quote from: CptnHornblower on February 10, 2010, 09:09:31 AM
One of the best roads I've found in CA is Icehouse Road. On a map it looks like a piece of cooked spagetti. From Auburn head south on 49, then take a left on 193 at Cool, take another left on Icehouse Road at Georgetown. Things really get fun when you get to the reservoir. Icehouse takes you to 50. When you get to 50 you can go back to Auburn via 50 and 49 through Placerville, or do a uie and go back the way you came ;D

We actually have a club ride every year to Icehouse/Wentworth. The route is south via 88, emigrant trail to 50. Sometimes just 50 via Kingsbury. Depends on the mood of the group.

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

RedLeader

Quote from: com3 on February 09, 2010, 05:30:56 PM
you can NOT come in the area and not ride MRR!!!!

it's the best road in california! :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=foresthill&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.946584,89.296875&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Foresthill,+Placer,+California&ll=39.021651,-120.785794&spn=0.011319,0.021801&z=16

Whats the route you take on those roads? I probably would get lost back there without a map of how to get out...

Edit:
Answered my own question with a quick google.
Here is a map and some great pictures, as well as a video of Com3 i believe.
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/MosquitoRidge.htm
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

CptnHornblower

If you're talking about Icehouse Road, it's pretty easy, going from Auburn to the east it dumps you out on Highway 50 which you can follow back to Placerville and Auburn, if you start at the east end it takes you to highway 49 about 10 miles south of Auburn. Either way it's an easy route to follow.
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

RedLeader

Quote from: CptnHornblower on February 10, 2010, 02:38:45 PM
If you're talking about Icehouse Road, it's pretty easy, going from Auburn to the east it dumps you out on Highway 50 which you can follow back to Placerville and Auburn, if you start at the east end it takes you to highway 49 about 10 miles south of Auburn. Either way it's an easy route to follow.
No, not icehouse, ive dont that one more times than i can count...
I was talking about Mosquito Ridge Road.
Icehouse is best with the downeyville loop... 400+miles of twisties  :o
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

com3

Quote from: RedLeader on February 10, 2010, 02:32:16 PM
Whats the route you take on those roads? I probably would get lost back there without a map of how to get out...

Edit:
Answered my own question with a quick google.
Here is a map and some great pictures, as well as a video of Com3 i believe.
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/MosquitoRidge.htm

yep! that's me! :D

GreenMachine

The pass is clear.  I rode over to Rollins Lake (Colfax) late this afternoon.  It was a bit chilly coming back in the dark, but tomorrow should be warmer.

The air down there is sweet with the smell of fresh grass and fireplace logs.  So awesome in fact, that since my gf is on a trip, I have a (Valentine's Day) pass for Sunday, I'm spending the day over there charging the battery and searching for where my wallet fell out.

Tahoebrian5

I'm planning on trucking my bike down tuesday Morn and riding tuesday, staying the night at my sisters in Auburn and riding Wednesday, coming back that night. Anyone have any info on the Mesquito ride conditions? Looks great, just wondering if it's doable this time of year. Also let me know if anyone want's to ride... could set up a place to stay for the night for one or two more.