Main Menu

Two types of riders. . .

Started by Justin, August 05, 2009, 01:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rapidrobbie

I've had many crashes,most of those during the learning phase many years ago plus a couple on the track. I won't wear my leathers on street rides (I have textile for that) because it's like a self imposed limit,making me keep a much larger saftey margin so that the ride won't get out of hand.If the leathers are on usually the speeds go up a lot,not so with the textile stuff after having melted a textile jacket sleeve when I lost the front at around 90mph years ago,no fun at all.I still have fun blasting around on the backroads only now I am just keeping more in reserve for that unexpected gravel,animal whatever that can really ruin the ride/day
"Sorry,but you can't get there from here"
Robbie Hoyt

XIII

Quote from: BIG SPLASH on August 07, 2009, 04:40:59 PM
Mine was very minor doesnt really count as a crash.A very very old woman was drivin in front of me and decided to come to a complete stop right in front of me, i just happend to look down at the speedo at the same time as all this was going on.When i looked up it was too late I locked up my rear and pounded the front as hard as possible then tried to guide the bike inbetween her car and the one next to her but didnt quite make it.I smashed my knee up pretty bad but the bike had no damage.But i know its only a matter of time after i make my current bike a track rider only.Should hopefully have a new daily rider pretty soon. 8)

<-- (guy on yellow 675 during the swim ride) - did you ever get that 2nd gear problem fixed? Also, will you be at the next trackday?

XIII

Quote from: rapidrobbie on August 08, 2009, 07:16:58 PM
I've had many crashes,most of those during the learning phase many years ago plus a couple on the track. I won't wear my leathers on street rides (I have textile for that) because it's like a self imposed limit,making me keep a much larger saftey margin so that the ride won't get out of hand.If the leathers are on usually the speeds go up a lot,not so with the textile stuff after having melted a textile jacket sleeve when I lost the front at around 90mph years ago,no fun at all.I still have fun blasting around on the backroads only now I am just keeping more in reserve for that unexpected gravel,animal whatever that can really ruin the ride/day

I don't regard my choice of attire to the speed I travel at. In other words, less protection =/= less speed (of course the opposite of this is true). I wear my leather jacket on anything more than a checkup (such as before and after an oil change) that I only need to go up and down a street for.

A DRAGON

Cobra boy what a Missouri boat ride you took. ( Outlaw Josie Whales Quote ) 

What an excellent tread. I wanted to say if the only place you end up crashing is the track your doing just fine. I feel anytime you go down on the street you should count your self very lucky.

Survived a head on collision in '97. I did everything right. Only by chance I had time to think about it because I ran it through my head several times before it happened. I was always asking myself what would I do if?????   I really think that makes a difference. Because you have already made up your mind.

Coming home from HWY 26 off of Hwy 88. I was riding next to the Double Yellow line (Actually the road had just got paved and they only had the yellow tape every few feet.)  Saw a car coming at me half way in my lane.  I was wondering if he knew me and was he just playing a joke. I wasn't sure because I thought? How could he know it was me? All he can see is a headlight.  I thought I had better play it safe. So I moved over to the far right tire lane and the car moved over the rest of the way in my lane. That's when all the choices came in my head. I thought I could go into the lane he left and wait for them to go by. ( One of my friends had done that earlier in year and at the last minute they went back into their lane and his right knee hit the cars right headlight. With his foot still on the foot peg it shattered his ankle and some of the bones above it. ) So thought no I can't do that I'm too athletic for that. My next choice was to drive off the road. ( Again I thought I've never looked in the forest and say a clear light through the trees. Their is never an open space and Sonny Bonno had proved earlier that year that a man can't go through a tree.) So that eliminated that choice. My 3rd option was to aim for the center of the cars Grill and If I could get over the top and stay in my lane I shouldn't get ran over and I'm in my full Leathers that's what they are made for is the asphalt. I'll be fine. So at the last minute just before I hit the car I gotta hand full of  all the brakes  I could get and pushed off and over I went. Hit the road according to the witnesses behind me and skipped like a rock and went over the embankment in the trees. By amazing grace their were no trees in the area I ended up in.

Lesson learned? Not every one that has a license has a brain. Trust no one. I need to look out for me
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

XIII

I've had many close calls over the years as well. I remember this one time at band camp...umm...no, was it on my way to work? Yeah that's it, way to work...  ::)  :P Anyway, Mccaran, 3:30pm. I was behind an SUV and was headed towards Virginia st. from up the hill. I was coming to the intersection of Mccaran and Keystone. I noticed that the guy in a green car had lurched forward to make a left in front of us just as the SUV was about to pass him. Instantly, my fingers covered the brakes and I slowed down a bit because I knew exactly what was about to happen. The guy in the green car made the move right after the SUV passed. I chomped down on the brakes a bit more. Then he stopped! He saw me and decided to stop short of being fully in my lane and blocked my other exit! W...T...F. Seriously? Here were my choices:

1. Brake hard enough to make Rossi proud and maybe kiss the passenger door of the car.
2. Veer right and a) run the chance of the car running me over or b) be sandwiched between that and the truck next to me...
3. Veer left anyway and go into the oncoming lane.

I made choice number 3. There was no other car in the oncoming turn lane and I didn't even go on the lane. I made it between the white line and the divider (if there was a car, I would have missed them too). I eventually ended up on the good foot high of low divider space and contemplated the idiot cager. Oh, did I mention that the cager, while I made my ninja move, decided to continue on and complete the turn? Yup, so choice #2 would have turned out to be a disaster....the guy in the truck stopped and checked up on me and offered to chase the jackass down but I politely declined and went on my merry way to work. I think I've told this story before but here it is again for posterity.

Adiggity

Quote from: Yard Sale on August 05, 2009, 04:44:45 PM
You and your big ego, wanting to sign a shirt with an image of Jerome on it. Isn't it enough that you have your own T-shirt image?
Oh, that's right, you won the "b" class SSA shirt. Sorry man, I'd be a little irked too.  :D

Yard Sale

LOL! :D

I'm thinking some extra custom embroidery would be appropriate. How much would it cost to get the letters SANDBAGGER next to Jerome's picture?

Adiggity

Jerome had to pay them to keep that off of the shirt!

A DRAGON

Hey do you think They would sell better if we had a picture of Yard Sale's face on the front? Oh yeah that's right were not the kennel club :D LOL
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750