Main Menu

Two types of riders. . .

Started by Justin, August 05, 2009, 01:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

For me, the best part of the SSA is that we look out for each other.  This post is my opinion and it is not meant to come across in a preachy way, more like "I care about you"

There are two types of riders:
Ones that have gone down and the others that will go down.

At bike night, I engaged in a discussion with a newer rider about buying and using proper motorcycle gear.
Back protectors are the same as underwear.  Wear them under some clothes.

There are lots of excellent choices in both the leather and the textile varieties.
Textile slides further, but causes less tumbling than leather.
Textile mesh doesn't usually hold up in an accident, and I wouldn't wear it.
Perforated leather gear does well, and keeps you cool at speed.
I watch GP, FIM, and AMA.  If I go down, I want to bounce back up and try to get the bike going again. . . subsequently I wear what they wear. 

It is possible that you can go your career without taking a spill, but it is pretty unlikely.
It is best practice to plan on crashing and buy your gear according to worst case scenario.
The money you are saving by not buying gear is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT.
How much work can you afford to miss? I used to charge $1800 for a ride to the E.D.
My helmet, leathers, boots, gloves, back protector and a few track days cost less $1800.

Have fun, and make good choices out there :)

Justin

Incidentally I crashed twice and dumped the bike <15mph.
The first crash I was struck from behind by an airborne GSXR.  He went off the road, but the bike decided to return, sans rider.  (as I was told by others in the group)
Second was a bone-headed 'let me practice body positioning on a windy mountain road.'
I should have kept that stuff at the track.
The dump was to avoid hitting the front quarter panel of a volvo in a parking lot (uncontrolled intersection)
"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!!! I didn't see you" 
Ha! I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that one

Adiggity

Once or twice.  ;D Had leathers on every time and every time was on a race track. Knock on wood, walked away from every one. And every single one was in the same set of leathers. They were $1200 when I bought them and they have only been repaired once. They were worth every penny. There have been 7. 1 at RFR, 1 at Miller, 3 at Infineon and 2 at Buttonwillow. One was well over 100mph. Here's a pick for you too!  :)

SPL

Ive wrecked 3 times in a 7 year period.  Ive learned from them all.

Wreck 1... 2000 TL1000R -  Hit a patch of gravel on a highway entrance.  Bike slid out from underneath me.  Had a passenger. Luckily when she fell, she fell on to me and rode me like a surf board. She had no damage. I had minor scratches I had all my gear on.
MORAL OF THE STORY- Dont ride thu gravel ;D

Wreck 2...2000 TL1000R- Was doing a 70mph wheelie , learning to shift during a wheelie, lost it. I suffered from a 4 inchx2.5 inch cut. Needed 12 stiches.  The zipper of my jacket dug into my forarm causing the cut.  (I was in my 20's when this happened. I was young and dumb)
MORAL OF THE STORY- Dont wear short gloves, get the longer ones!!!

Wreck 3.... 2003 GSXR1000- Was on my way to meet everyone for a sunday ride. I pulled up to the inner section of kietzke and S.Virginia. Light turned green and I took off.  A woman in the turn lane decided she wanted to go straight and run the red light. Causing a Tbone at 30 mph with me and my bike. She was driving a Full size GMC pickup truck.   Next thing I know Im in the hospital suffering from a severed finger,severed tendons in my other fingers, a dislocated knee and a concusion.  I WAS LUCKY! I got my finger back, my tendons were sewed back together, and my helmet saved my ass.  I had all my gear on.

MORAL OF THE STORY- If your first out into the inner section, look both ways before accelerating. I NOW do this. Never thought about it before!

The kicker......
Ive never been down on the road course on the R6 or the GSXR600, and Ive never been down on the Drag Strip with the ZX14.

BUT IM WAITING!!!! ;D
Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

2wcp

Would you consider falling over on Casey a crash? Just cuz your bike didn't hit the ground, you did break a mirror off! :P
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

SPL

ha ha ha, no we cant count that one. there was no damage to my bike.. ;D

Well a mirror doesnt count as damage in my book
Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

Yard Sale

I've crashed twice on the track, a few times in the twisties, and a few times on city streets/highways. Some were avoidable, some weren't. Sand on a goat trail road. Oil in a shady corner. Oil in a shady intersection. Riding off the edge of the tire. Riding too fast on an unfamiliar road in the damp fog. Setting down a wheelie too late. T-boned a pickup. Rear-ended by a Volvo. Rear-ended by a Chevy.

Crashing sucks and you don't know where or when it's going to happen. First time I hit oil as a noob I was down before I knew what was happening. Second time I hit oil as an experienced rider, I knew exactly what was going on, took perfect corrective action, and still crashed.

I got lucky limping away from some of those wearing jeans and a denim jacket or nylon MX pants. I walked away with a stubbed toe from a 100 mph crash. I got my only broken bone from a low-speed tip over wearing the same gear.

QuoteIve wrecked 3 times in a 7 year period
I didn't keep track but I think it was more like 7 times in a 3 year period for me. :( One bike 3 times in a matter of weeks (oil and 2 rear enders, that thing was cursed).

jlavallee

The worst crash was getting rear ended by a car in a hit and run where I had 3 broken vertebra in my back, 3 broken ribs, collapsed lung, commpetely crushed my LH collar bone and shoulder with nerve damage that left me unable to lift my left arm under my own power for over a year and some of my upper left arm is still dead. Dainese leathers and a Shoei helmet are the only reason I am here today. Unfortunately, lots of witnesses but nobody got a plate and after a few years I settled an uninsured motorist claim for about what the bike was worth in "pain and suffering" after the lawyer fees came out. They don't give you anything for the bike or gear.

Too many off road crashes to count as a kid, I remember being hurt all the time and I was made of rubber in those days.

Last crash was a few years ago on the DR with a 5 mph lowside resulting in a broken LH collarbone again. I put that dow to having never been aligned during the first break since I was in a back brace and that was their big concern.

A few road crashes over the past 19 years of street riding but I always seem to be going slow when it happens. I put it down to loosing focus. If you wear gear and don't hit anything solid you'll usually be ok in a week or two.

Oh, I had a snowmobile accident where I lost my spleen, does that count? :D

My warranty expired long ago...

Yard Sale

QuoteDainese leathers and a Shoei helmet are the only reason I am here today
Leathers will save you from abrasions and some lacerations and contusions. A helmet will save you from some head injuries. But they don't do squat to prevent massive trauma as in a collision with a car, guardrail, tree, or other heavy, solid object.

Adiggity

Yeah, so if your planning on hitting a tree or a car head on, just ride naked!

Yard Sale

I'm just saying that 'cause these goofballs on YouTube and BARF ride like they think their leathers are Ironman suits.

Justin

Bad stories that turn into great learning experiences for new riders and veterans, alike!

Justin

80 views with 16 votes.  I know. . .
. . .we ask too much.
:)

Adiggity

Quote from: Yard Sale on August 05, 2009, 03:01:56 PM
I'm just saying that 'cause these goofballs on YouTube and BARF ride like they think their leathers are Ironman suits.
4 words. It was a joke.  :) Lighten up big guy. You'd think you'd be in a better mood after winning a T-shirt. You want me to sign it? Would that make you feel better?

P.S. those guys would probably ride like that with or without the suits. I'm sure if they think they are ironmen, the suits have nothing to do with it.  :D

Yard Sale

You and your big ego, wanting to sign a shirt with an image of Jerome on it. Isn't it enough that you have your own T-shirt image?