Main Menu

Miguel Duhamel to return to the AMA

Started by A DRAGON, July 16, 2010, 11:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A DRAGON

AMA Pro Racing Communications

Motorcycle Racing Legend Miguel Duhamel Returns to AMA Pro Road Racing Competition for Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (July 15, 2010) - Miguel Duhamel, one of, if not the most dominant AMA Pro Road Racing motorcycle rider in history, will be making his return to the sport at the July 23 - 25 Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. In a story broken by Roadracingworld.com yesterday, the most accomplished rider in AMA Pro Road Racing history will be rejoining the AMA Pro National Guard SuperBike field, his first AMA Pro start since the 2009 Daytona 200.

Eight AMA Pro Road Racing Championships and the all-time AMA Pro Road Racing win record with 86 victories are highlights of a sensational career that saw Duhamel take his first AMA Pro SuperBike win in 1990. He captured AMA Pro Championships in 1991, 1993 (both AMA Pro SuperSport), 1995 (AMA Pro SuperBike and SuperSport), 1996 (SuperSport), 1997 (SuperSport), 2004 (Formula Xtreme), 2005 (Formula Xtreme). He also won the famous Daytona 200 five times, in 1991, 1997, 1999, 2003 and 2005.

Although Duhamel won virtually all of his championships and races with American Honda, he will return to action next week riding the Moto Forza NovaTac Racing Ducati. Duhamel was in attendance at the recent AMA Pro Road Racing event at Road America and liked what he saw on and off the track.

"We spent quite a bit of time with Miguel at Road America," said AMA Pro Chief Operating Officer David Atlas.  "Miguel was very impressed and invigorated by the atmosphere in the AMA Pro Paddock, enough in fact to bring him back into the sport.  And we couldn't be happier to have him back!" 

Duhamel also has five AMA Pro wins at the famous Laguna Seca 2.238 mile, 11 turn road course, 1995 (AMA Pro SuperSport), 1996 (Superstock and AMA Pro SuperSport), 1997 (AMA Pro SuperSport) and 1998 (AMA Pro SuperBike), and continues the recent trend that has another motorcycle road racing legend, Doug Polen, rejoining the sport in the AMA Pro Daytona SportBike race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this weekend.

The addition of Duhamel to the AMA Pro National Guard SuperBike field at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca just adds to the incredible weekend of racing that begins on Friday, July 23 with practice. Qualifying and the AMA Pro SuperSport race will be on Saturday, July 24 and the MotoGP, AMA Daytona SportBike presented by AMSOIL and the National Guard SuperBike races will be on Sunday, July 25. Please visit www.mazdaraceway.com for full schedule and ticket information.

SPEED TV will broadcast the National Guard SuperBike and Daytona SportBike races from Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in same weekend coverage, check your local listings for the broadcast times.
AMA Pro Racing is the premier professional motorcycle racing organization in North America, operating a full schedule of events and championships for a variety of motorcycle disciplines.  Learn more about AMA Pro Racing at www.amaproracing.com

-end-

For additional information contact:
AMA Pro Racing Communications, (386) 492-1014, communications@amaproracing.com :-*
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

A DRAGON

Maybe this will make it interesting again.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

jlavallee

It won't for me. AMA is dead and has been since the DMG take over. Hell, I can hardly stand WSBK and with their format and rules I'd rather go watch club level racing.

A DRAGON

Jason your a hater.  World Super Bike is the best on the planet.  Are you smok'in crack?
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

cobra23

I think thats cool it sounds like Duhamel and Zemke will be team mates again.

The rule thing is really more about economics in my opinion. They are trying to make the race more intersting to watch, while reducing the cost for the teams in the process.

We could watch 5 -6 teams spread all over the track with the old rules, or watch when you never really know who is gonna win and close racing with the new rules.

The disadvantage is, I bet the technology will develop much slower now with the use of "spec equipment".

jlavallee

Quote from: A DRAGON on July 16, 2010, 01:54:03 PM
Jason your a hater.  World Super Bike is the best on the planet.  Are you smok'in crack?

:D :D :D Yep, I am Mr. Sunshine all the time. For me I like watching the best against the best and that is MotoGP. MotoGP should loose the electronic crap and this engine rule etc... I couldn't care less if it is really close racing, watching Doohan smoke everyone in the late 90's is fine by me. Don't water it down to make everyone equal. Christ, it is like those kid leagues now where they give trophys for taking part... They all do it to some degree but AMA wants a show first and racing second, I think good racing is a good show even if it is not close.

TWF

There are few old timers (Eric Bostrom, Doug Polen, Kurtis Roberts) racing ama this weekend, they will all suck and be nowhere at front, just like Duhamel will not.

cobra23

Quote from: jlavallee on July 16, 2010, 04:03:20 PM
Quote from: A DRAGON on July 16, 2010, 01:54:03 PM

:D :D :D Yep, I am Mr. Sunshine all the time. For me I like watching the best against the best and that is MotoGP. MotoGP should loose the electronic crap and this engine rule etc... I couldn't care less if it is really close racing, watching Doohan smoke everyone in the late 90's is fine by me. Don't water it down to make everyone equal. Christ, it is like those kid leagues now where they give trophys for taking part... They all do it to some degree but AMA wants a show first and racing second, I think good racing is a good show even if it is not close.

I agree except for one part of all that.....cash. They are having a hard time fielding Moto GP because of cost.

A DRAGON

Good racing I don't mind. If it's close the better. WSBK DID the same tire thing and I wasn't a fan till the end of the season. What a difference. As far as AMA all the riders are slow. If they go to FIM their at the back. I wish Spies and Malidan were back. If Eric Bostrom is back I'm all for it. Doug Polen I never really saw him race. But I like him. And I'll even take Kurtis Roberts.  The guys they are all just boring to me.

Supersport is a great race. The 5 up front are very racable ( what that means: They race well together) But  that's just me.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

jlavallee

The money is an issue to be sure but if they took out most of the electronics beyond a base package and got rid of all the data/computer guys we'd be farther ahead. Moto GP is Grand Prix, THE BIG PRIZE. It is not meant to be a cost cutting series. How much is spent trying to figure how to run on only 21 liters of fuel?

Just put the rules in a basic form. If you want to make it fair then make a minimum bike/rider weight so the whole horse jockey thing slows down a little and let them run an engine type/displacement. After that, riders and development take course. Anyway, that is my two cents and in this bad economy further destroyed by O-idiot, it's worth what, 1/2 a cent?

Supersport is a series for up and comers. A lot of the downfall started with every manufacturer wanting to be a winner in some class for marketing. The media has to have something to spin for each company so one series goes to each manufacturer and we all get to cheer for our brand. Jeeze, how special is that?

Team Gorgonzola

I'll race AMA next year, anyone want to sponsor?? ( I worked 8:15AM to now 10:36PM so pardon me be totally....f%$^d up)  ;D
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

karneybo

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on July 16, 2010, 10:39:56 PM
I'll race AMA next year, anyone want to sponsor?? ( I worked 8:15AM to now 10:36PM so pardon me be totally....f%$^d up)  ;D
wow 14 and halfs, wimp thats nothing I once work 24 and halfs with very few small breaks.
Carney

cobra23

O-idiot....................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LMAO!!!!!