Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Thill in April

Started by RocketRider, February 23, 2014, 08:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RocketRider

Made it 4 laps before the head blew :(. Didnt mind so much that it happened, but I did mind that it happened in Session 1. Would've been nice to get some riding out of my money and efforts...oh well.

Sounds like you guys kept it up right and had fun though! Hopefully my friend Steve didnt kill you with awkward banter haha
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

GreenMachine

Not at all.  Steve fit right in.  I think we actually like him better.   :P

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

:-\

Nobody else has pictures they're going to upload?

dr1150

Sorry I didn't take any pictures.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

dub

I'm kind of surprised that we haven't heard from Eric with his thoughts on the day yet. I hope they made it home ok?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

I think they wanted to go out to dinner afterwards as like a post trackday debriefing.  And when we all said we were tired and wanted to get home before fatigue set in, that might have offended them. 

Either that or Eric's still dead to the World.  He was getting his money's worth that day.

RenoRider75

LOL.  I was dead to the world that night for sure.   ;D  Otherwise, this week has been a whirlwind of job interviews and projects...

Anyhow, I had a blast!  I haven't had that much fun on my bike since...  um...  EVER.   :P  Wiles followed me around the track and gave me a lot of good advice on body positioning.  I spent the last 3 or 4 sessions not worrying about my line at all and just working on my body and riding style.  It really helped!  The last session, turn 1 was at 90 and turn 2 was at 75 or 80.  The whole day, but particularly the last sessions, it was like the ultimate roller coaster ride.  So much fun.

I can't wait to go again!  I think I might need new tires already, lol.

Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from the day:

I also took a picture of the track from the top of the hill above turn 14:

Sara has some pictures on her camera too that we'll have to sort through and upload.

Thanks for the day of fun!  I felt so bad for RR and dr.  But otherwise the day was well worth it.

EDIT:  Well, that was fast.  Sara's camera has lots of pictures of me, but I'd feel conceited if I uploaded any more of those.  :)  Here's one she took of Wiles showing me proper body positioning using Steve's bike.  Thanks again!  Once I get my positioning down well, I'll go back to working on lines again.

Here's one of GM in turn 9:

GreenMachine

Quote from: RenoRider75 on April 24, 2014, 04:37:41 PM
LOL.  

EDIT:  Well, that was fast.  Sara's camera has lots of pictures of me, but I'd feel conceited if I uploaded any more of those.  :)  
Please!  What does that make me then?  Be conceited and post up as many of those badboys as you want.

dub

Nice dude. Looking pretty good in the that top picture.

RenoRider75

Quote from: dub on April 24, 2014, 06:11:41 PM
Nice dude. Looking pretty good in the that top picture.

Thanks!  I think that was from session 6.  Session 7 was probably better, but all the photographers had gone inside by then.   :D  Next track day I'll be starting out as less of a noob, so I can continue working on the form.  At the time, I wasn't sure how much the track day was helping my overall riding skill but now that I've ridden on the street again I can tell how much more comfortable I am at normal speeds.

Something else, even more important I think, is that it has really helped cool my "speeding on the streets" bug.  On the track, my attention was 95% on my position, the bike, and the people around me.  No attention spent on looking for potholes, cars pulling out in front unexpectedly, etc.  Only 5% of my attention was on looking for the flags, watching for oil, etc.  That environment allowed me to go much faster and be a lot bolder than I would normally be.  Of course, my riding stance sucked and I was a complete noob for the first part of the day but after I learned what "leaning off" should actually look like, things got a lot more stable and even more enjoyable.

I'm an addict.  I love speed.  Speed on the street freaks me out, but speed on the track is exhilarating.  I'm even thinking of getting a dedicated track bike if I get into it more - I saw a used Daytona 675 that looked in good shape and seemed perfect for next season when I can at least pretend that I know what I'm doing.   :P

And GM, I'll post some more of the pics after I have a chance to go through them, crop them, and clean everything up.  :)

dub

Quote from: RenoRider75 on April 24, 2014, 10:57:32 PMAt the time, I wasn't sure how much the track day was helping my overall riding skill but now that I've ridden on the street again I can tell how much more comfortable I am at normal speeds.

Something else, even more important I think, is that it has really helped cool my "speeding on the streets" bug.  On the track, my attention was 95% on my position, the bike, and the people around me.  No attention spent on looking for potholes, cars pulling out in front unexpectedly, etc.  Only 5% of my attention was on looking for the flags, watching for oil, etc.  That environment allowed me to go much faster and be a lot bolder than I would normally be.  Of course, my riding stance sucked and I was a complete noob for the first part of the day but after I learned what "leaning off" should actually look like, things got a lot more stable and even more enjoyable.

Exactly.

A lot of people give up riding on the street entirely once they discover the track. They are suddenly much more aware of all the hazards present and it scares them away; they say it's too dangerous. That didn't happen to me, I still love to ride the street, but it did slow me down. I don't have the desire to ride at blazing speeds in the canyons. Not that I ride slow in the twisties, but the pace I choose is well within my comfort and skill level. Even if I choose to bump up the pace a notch to keep up with some faster riders, I'm still not at the bleeding edge where I may blow a turn and cross the double yellow or end up in a ditch or off a cliff. The rest of the time it's nice to enjoy leaning the bike through the corners while still being relaxed enough to enjoy the ride. I think that is the benefit of riding the track and why I think all sport riders should do it at least a few times.

Quote from: RenoRider75 on April 24, 2014, 10:57:32 PMI'm an addict.  I love speed.  Speed on the street freaks me out, but speed on the track is exhilarating.  I'm even thinking of getting a dedicated track bike if I get into it more - I saw a used Daytona 675 that looked in good shape and seemed perfect for next season when I can at least pretend that I know what I'm doing.   :P

There is a reason it rhymes with Crack.

RocketRider

Meanwhile GM prefers street blasting  :|)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

GreenMachine

:headscratch  Says you.

Speeds at the track and speeds on the street are rarely interchanged.   And you can attest to the fact that I'm a p*ssy on the track, you've said so yourself.   If I can't go fast there, what makes you think I'm going fast on the street?  Case closed.

RocketRider

You totally ride faster on the street! So I think  ;D

Your faster than me now. Haha
PIN IT TO WIN IT!