Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Thill in April

Started by RocketRider, February 23, 2014, 08:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr1150

I purchased a 2 day pass with precision. I will be at T hill Easter Sunday and Memorial Day.
let's have a big group from Northern Nevada show up down there ride and have a blast.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

RocketRider

Quote from: dub on March 05, 2014, 08:24:39 AM
What scares you about Thunderhill, exactly? And how do you know RFR is more challenging if you haven't ridden both? I mean, RFR has more corners to learn, but once you figure where the track goes what is more challenging about it?

DR is right, you would like it.

:clap

IMO, a track is as dangerous as you make it, with the exception of run off space and other riders. You have no control of other riders and Thill appears to have plenty of run off.

Short update, looks like one of our 4 has backed out, I'm saying F*ck it and just taking the extra TD for later this year  ;D. Or maybe GM will grow a pair? eh? eeeeeeeh?
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

GreenMachine

I haven't looked.  Maybe I shouldn't.  :-\

I may come over for the day just to see you guys ride and to take in some of my favorite roads before and after.  No question about it, you guys are going to have a ton of fun.

Can you get TB5 to go?  I might see him tomorrow.  I'll ask.  What day is T-hill?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: dr1150 on March 05, 2014, 12:09:13 PM
I purchased a 2 day pass with precision. I will be at T hill Easter Sunday and Memorial Day.
let's have a big group from Northern Nevada show up down there ride and have a blast.

Same here Dave.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

I'm still on the fence but hoping I can make it
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RocketRider

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on March 11, 2014, 01:55:01 PM
I'm still on the fence but hoping I can make it

I'll have at least one extra ticket available if you wanna jump on the group buy with us  :angel
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

RenoRider75

Any chance I can get one of you to slum it in the C group with me in one of the later sessions (if that's even possible to do - I'm not sure how the group assignments work)?  Once I've learned the track and am comfortable on the bike there, it'd be awesome to have someone experienced follow me and give some tips for improvement so I can work on them in later sessions and make the most of the day.   :)

GreenMachine

RR75, I think T-hill is fairly regimented about groups, but no matter, I think Wiles would say to ask for an instructor to spot you.  You can watch dozens of RFR videos where instructors lead riders around the track.  They love to help.  Take them up on it!  Also, watching T-hill videos over and over, will give you a better understanding of where you want to be on the track (deja-vu), what to expect and how fast you can go.

The cool thing about track riding is the huge run-off.  You're not restricted to one thin lane like on the street. 

My first trackday included learning about braking distances from high speed.  I didn't learn much about cornering or much about anything else, but my goal was to ride off of the track at the end of each session without injuring myself or others and not otherwise crashing.  Subsequent trackdays have been more of the same, but where I'm going progressively faster.  I don't push the limits or ride in close quarters with other riders, because there's a lot I still don't know.  I stress safety first for myself.  I've had a really good experience in my three outings. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: RenoRider75 on March 18, 2014, 04:26:12 PM...it'd be awesome to have someone experienced follow me and give some tips for improvement so I can work on them in later sessions and make the most of the day.   :)

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 18, 2014, 08:51:58 PM... think Wiles would say to ask for an instructor to spot you.

Yes, that's what they are there for! There will be many instructors in C group who will follow you and offer help whenever you want!
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RocketRider

Do we have an official head count?
Myself, My friend Steve, RR75, Wiles...I hear some of the TTRC guys will be there. Anyone else confirming? Still have an extra ticket to make the day a bit cheaper if someone wants to jump in last minute!

PS- does anyone have opinions on "old" slicks? I have my set from last year's ttrc event. Basically they have one track day on them then I stowed them away in my closet away from sun and extreme temperatures. They should be good for another two days or so yeah?
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

I watched a video recently, maybe on here, showing T-hill turn one was taken at about 70 MPH.  WTH?  That course doesn't look tight.  How can that be?

Looks like DR will be there on the 20th, Easter Sunday as well.

RR, I might be interested in taking the #4 ticket off your hands.  PM me the cost. 

dr1150

Yes GM I will be there on Easter. I hope you can pick up a ticket and ride with us it will be a lot of fun. Come on GM you can do it.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

RenoRider75

I spent a couple of hours last night watching the same Thunder Hill video over and over, with a track map next to it.  I've gotten to the point where I can recognize a turn and anticipate which direction and how tight the next turn will be.  I drive up Geiger 5 or 6 times a week, so knowing the road really well certainly helps when I'm on the bike.  Watching YouTube videos will hopefully help me feel more relaxed on the track, since I'll at least know what to expect the road to do.

One thing I'm wondering:  In the videos, even in C group, people pass on both sides all the time.  If you're on the right side of the track, hit your reference point for turn-in and steer toward your apex, how do you keep from plowing in to someone who is trying to pass on the inside right before you make your turn?  That's honestly my biggest concern right now - people riding quickly up from behind that I don't see, and then having them crash into me when I change direction.

RocketRider

In C group passing is only allowed in straights I believe...that's what I'm used to anyways precision may be different. There may be passing on the outside or inside of certain turns too. People weaving in and out may be control riders who are comfortable with maneuvering around others. There are of course those idiots out there...do your best to avoid them and REPORT THEM to controller riders/staff. They will take appropriate action. I have unfortunately seen this done before...

I BELIEVE the general rule of etiquette (at least the rule I always follow) is that it is the passing party's duty to get around safely. Rider in front should just ride his/her line. When you go to pass don't dive someones inside line, don't get pushed out because you tried to take the outside, don't go inside and push them out etc etc. Be courteous, wait for the right moment. If all else fails, pull in to hot pits and let traffic go and then rejoin the fun. You can have 3 failed laps stuck behind someone(s) or you can waste a quarter of a lap worth of time letting traffic go. It's not a race :)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

RR75, your concern is the same as mine.  I know I won't be racing people, just trying to mind my own business and have fun.  Accidents are a fact of trackdays and people get busted up pretty good when there are collisions.  RR's advice is probably better than anything I can give and I'll be re-reading it several times, along with paying close attention to the riders meeting on the day of the event. 

I've been in your shoes many years back, where I saw a pack of faster riders coming up on me.  Thinking I'd get off my racing line, I overdid it and had one of the faster riders go way outside to get around me.  Got lectured by the guy after the session, which was a good thing for my knowledge.

On Sunday, unless I'm following a rider through a corner, I probably won't be apexing turns as tight as possible.  I know I can stay off the race line and allow for room inside and outside of my line.  At TTRC last August, that worked well, since most of the fast stuff I was off the race line when racers were within distance of me.  One after the other, they were able to navigate around me with ease and nobody complained.  Of course, they were skilled riders on track prepped bikes, including riding on slicks, which probably helped in there ability to slice around me at will. 

I stress projecting a predictable line, so it is clear my intention and momentum allow for passing on either side of me, if someone from behind has ants in their pants and can't wait for the straight.  That worked at TTRC.  Then when I was alone, which was a lot of that trackday, I was able to ride into corners deeper and apex without the slightest bit of worry.  Also, the trend is for most riders to get weary/tired as the day progresses, so I wouldn't be surprised as the day wears on fewer and fewer riders line up for the group sessions.  Plus, it's a Sunday, so I think there's an even better chance of people blowing out of there before the end of the day.  So save yourself or plan on staying late, if you want unobstructed track.  I will be.

The other item you'll have going for you in C group is that there are few accidents in those sessions.  It's us wannabee-racers in B group where the most accidents seem to occur.  And from the ones I can recall, it's almost always the scenario you mention.  The lead rider is coming in on a corner, pointed towards their apex and a faster rider misjudges their overtaking maneuver and T-bones the lead rider.  Scary stuff.  Let's hope that's not the case for anyone.  It's senseless.