Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Thill in April

Started by RocketRider, February 23, 2014, 08:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketRider

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on February 27, 2014, 09:43:13 AM
Ya, its going to be epic!! Like having a closer miller. Bach party at the track sounds perfect. Ill take sexy bikes over strippers any day
Gay. Lol.
In related news, no takers? I have two others interested, need 1 more at least
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

RenoRider75

What are the requirements for a bike in the C group (assuming there will be the standard A/B/C classes there that day)?  I need to go down to motorcycle superstore in Sacramento and get a track suit, I have a Snell helmet already and the boots.  I assume standard stuff like taping lights and removing mirrors, anything else?

I'd love to go if there's a C group.  Will be my first of hopefully many track rides.   :D

RocketRider

Quote from: RenoRider75 on March 01, 2014, 12:05:04 AM
What are the requirements for a bike in the C group (assuming there will be the standard A/B/C classes there that day)?  I need to go down to motorcycle superstore in Sacramento and get a track suit, I have a Snell helmet already and the boots.  I assume standard stuff like taping lights and removing mirrors, anything else?

I'd love to go if there's a C group.  Will be my first of hopefully many track rides.   :D

They say typically at least 1 year street riding. Group riding experience doesnt hurt, just to be used to having other bikes around.
If you can move along the backroads at a decent pace and more importantly are comfortable with your bike (hard braking, leaning, etc) you should be fine :)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

RenoRider75

dub

Quote from: RenoRider75 on March 01, 2014, 12:05:04 AM

Yes, it's a standard 3 group day. You will be fine in C group; it's for newbs. As long as you are comfortable riding your bike and don't have to stop and think before you manipulate the controls you're good. Precision is a great organization for newbies. They offer free classroom instruction between your sessions and you can have a coach ride with you 1 on 1 all day long if you want.

The tech requirements are listed here, it's not difficult stuff: http://www.precisiontrackdays.com/Bike-Prep--and--Tech.php
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RocketRider

It sounds like I have my 4 for the group pass. Renorider I'll hit you up sometime in the next two weeks to do the group buy thing :)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

RenoRider75

Sounds good.  I can't wait!   ;D

GreenMachine

That's awesome!  I know you're going to learn a lot RR75.  Try new lines every lap and aim high in steering.  You're going to come back appreciating lots of things about yourself and your bike's limitations. 

Take lots of pictures and/or get an actioncam.  You'll want to relive the experience.  Just another facet of taking enjoyment from riding and reliving those moments.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: RocketRider on March 01, 2014, 08:04:46 PM
It sounds like I have my 4 for the group pass. Renorider I'll hit you up sometime in the next two weeks to do the group buy thing :)

Wait, did you get 4 or 8? Are GM and Brian in?

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 03, 2014, 10:52:00 AM...Try new lines every lap...

I would say a better piece of advice is to have an instructor show you the proper lines form the get go. Otherwise you will just waste a bunch of time doing it wrong.

RenoRider75

I have a Drift HD camera mounted to my helmet.  I assume those are allowed, since there are videos all over YouTube of Thunderhill from helmet cams.  :)  I've been reading and re-reading Twist of the Wrist for the past year, so I can't wait to go out and try the stuff that's in my head (i.e. "the ideal line is the line that allows you to follow throttle rule #1:  Crack open the gas early, and roll on smoothly and evenly throughout the rest of the turn.").  Having an instructor giving advice would be awesome.  It would also be great to have someone with a camera following me so I can see myself.  I've heard that gives a lot of useful instant feedback.

Anyhow, I came across this video, and this looks pretty tame.  It looks like a lot of fun, but nothing too outrageous for a track noob like me.   :P  Waiting in that line to go is like waiting in line for a ride at Disneyland.  I can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUG-7p7WoxY&t=2m40s

RocketRider

Quote from: dub on March 03, 2014, 01:25:51 PM
Quote from: RocketRider on March 01, 2014, 08:04:46 PM

Wait, did you get 4 or 8? Are GM and Brian in?

4; myself, RR and two of my ol' riding group. Sent them messages today. I of course encourage GM and Brian to join the fun!  ;D

PIN IT TO WIN IT!

288RR

Well the way my work is going I don't think I could make it.  I would like to but don't think ill can make it.

GreenMachine

T-hill scares the hell out of me.  That's my personal feeling.  RFR being tighter, was more challenging to the rider.  It was a great workout too, being so damn bumpy.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dr1150

Come on GM you will absolutely love t hill. It is not scary at all.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

dub

What scares you about Thunderhill, exactly? And how do you know RFR is more challenging if you haven't ridden both? I mean, RFR has more corners to learn, but once you figure where the track goes what is more challenging about it?

DR is right, you would like it.