Main Menu

TTRC partial track day & full race day 08/03/13

Started by GreenMachine, July 09, 2013, 02:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Twisted Track Racing Club (TTRC) is a members funded club put together to hold a race day / open track day at Reno-Fernley Racetrack on Saturday, August 3rd.  The day will be composed of two portions.  

First, the morning (9 AM-noon) will be an open track day format, so riders other than racers can also get a day at the track.  Track day only riders should have some track day experience, since riders of all skill levels will be out there at the same time.  The racers will use the morning to dial in their bikes and at mid-morning, lay down their qualifying times.  There will be on-track monitors and so forth, but still, riding an open format requires some experience and concentration.

The afternoon is set aside for racing, starting about 1 PM and finishing up about 5 PM.  The full schedule is on our Facebook page (send a request to join and we will happily add you), or if you prefer, we will email the schedule to you.  The evening ends with podium awards and a BBQ, and track day only riders are encouraged to stick around for the races and to enjoy the after hours good times!

Track day only pricing is just $79... yep, 3 hours of riding on the track for $79!  Standard track day tech requirements apply (tape mirrors, good tires, levers, tape tire weights, etc), and if wearing two-piece suits, they must zip around completely.  If you have other questions about this, please send an email to the following:
ttraceclub@gmail.com

Tom, Sam or Gus will respond to you as quickly as possible.

For racers, the cost is $220, including timing gear.  Please send an email for info and we will send you the details about the day, qualifying criteria, and so forth.
Thanks for your consideration, we hope you will come out and join us on August 3rd.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RocketRider

I'll be there racing! Trying to plan on camping friday night. Should be tons of fun  ;D. Who else?!
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

GreenMachine

SkyDiverDCM will be there too.  He's the one pushing me to sign up for this practice session.  He rides a GSXR-1000. 

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of each other over that race day.  Should be fun.  I'm looking forward to it.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Their Website is up <link>.

Here is their schedule.  They finalized that 11:00 - 12:00 will be the time frame for the racers to qualify.  They'll be looking for a clear track to set down there best times, so be on the lookout.

TTRC Schedule of Events - Saturday, August 3, 2013
0700 - 0830            Registration and Tech Inspection
0830 - 0845            Riders Meeting
0900 - 1200            Open Track
1100 - 1200            Qualifying Hour for Racers

GreenMachine

Should be great weather for RFR, only 94° and no higher than 88° by noon.  Cool! 

RocketRider

PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

GreenMachine

Good morning RR.  Ready to ride where there's no speed limit.  150 MPH is looking like a possibility today.  :angel

dr1150

Hey GM,
How was your day at RFR? I hope you had a great time.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

GreenMachine

Everyone at TTRC was super.  Registration and tech went without a hitch and they did break the three morning hours into two 50 and one 60 minute sessions, to give the corner workers a break.  At the end of the second and third sessions, I was the last rider off the track, from what seemed like a diminishing pack as the sessions wore on.   I have almost 90 pictures to upload and I'm thinking I'll get to those tomorrow.  Winding down.  
:hangover

DR, your words kept ringing in my head about, why am I going so fast!?  ...as if to keep the riding under control and safe.  You may not realize how powerful a statement that was, but it helped.  So, thank you.

After the first session, the track beat me up something like I'd not remembered, especially the bowl.   And today I was one of the slowest riders on the track, if you can imagine.  If I had to guess, I was doing about 2:08s, whereas RR was at 2:01 and Dean was at 158.9.   RR had been sandbagging me on the street.  Once on an open track he steadily walked away.  Even with only 1 7/8 thumbs, the kid's good. Dean did well too, placing 1st and 2nd in bracket 2.  He was disappointed, but I spoke to Andre who just made it into bracket 1 and he made it sound like there were some really fast guys that showed up.  Must be tough to be so fast, then before you know it, there's a bunch of riders who make you fight for double-digit placing.

None of the SSA riders crashed, but there were a good half-dozen minor incidents, low-sides and such.  I didn't have any scares, which seems astonishing to me.  Even having the fast guys buzz me into turn 1 or 23, didn't upset my line.  They did so leaving me to my own way, which I felt they did very respectfully.

Each lap I was trying different lines and learning how the fast guys were getting through the bowl.  Aha!.  Early on I was questioning coming in after going through it each time and having my body slammed up and down over its bumps.  That turn was beating me up and wearing me out.  I was sure that if I was going to have an off, that would be where.  After second session I was sure that I wasn't going to go out again, but I did, promising RR and his wife that I'd probably only go out for a couple laps, but once moving, exhaustion and fatigued strength were the only limiting factors.  I pull off briefly to let some slower riders ahead clear out and I had to refuel in the third session, giving me a much needed rest, even if so brief.

Gauging the reactions from RR and Deano, they were the same.  Dean amazes me.  For a 63 y.o. he still gets around pretty quickly and loves to peg the needle.  I got to see a 135 MPH on the front straight, which took getting turn 23 right.  I'm not accustomed to going that fast and pitching the bike over into a turn.

3,000 miles worth of tire wear in 3 hours and burned through about 6 gallons of fuel.  Without a doubt, I'll sleep well tonight.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Pictures posted...< more >

RocketRider

I'll chime in briefly on Saturday's shinnanigans with a copy of my super short "race report" from FB

Finally a chance to sit down and report on the August 3rd Race.
The day started off well, arrived at the Reno Fernley Race Track and discovered that I had left my bike's key at home. A panicked call to my brother got the keys on their way and I shoved my pig of a CBR 900 to tech and back, no issues (except the pushing I guess). First session came around, stomach was all butterflies. New track, new riders, new experience. Big thanks to Leon for towing me n GM around for 3 laps. The day progressed without much more drama. Run, tweak pressures, tweak suspension, run, repeat. The whole time my freshly trimmed 3/4 right thumb was throbbing but the ibuprofen did its job valiantly. I found that I was...less prepared physically than I had hoped and was pacing myself through practice and qualifying. Survived with gradually decreasing lap times.
Shoved lunch in my face and race 1 came around. Practice start 1 was awesome, blasted up through the pack and hammered through turn 1 then backed off and cruised. That got my heart rate up a little. Practice start 2 repeated, already starting to breath hard, not a good sign, press on. REAL race start time! 3...2...1...ZOOM! SH*T front wheel is coming up, its down, up again, get back down you SOB, ok off we go! Blasted in to second and took first on T1. Ran full bore all the way through lap 1. Coming down the home straight and Dean blows by. Son of uh...get back here! Go chasing him for a lap. Lap 3 starts...oh man I'm tired already, keep pushing, and it was all down hill from there. A mistake from exhaustion caused me to go off course which set me back an additional 3-5 places. Finished barely clinging to my will to compete. Refreshed myself waiting for round 2 and got back out there, thankful there was no practice start to wear myself out on.This time I gridded towards the inside of the pack...tight fit between those guys up there...ah I can manage it. Ready, set, GO! Came rocketing up between the two riders in front of me faster than I expected...and oh damn tighter than expected too. My right leg rested against someones fairing for a brief second before I thought "I should GTFO" and raced out of there. What was that tug on my suit as I scraped by that rider? Ah he's fine, focus forward. Blast in to second and paced myself steady. Dean (leader) slowly pulled away and my 90% pace kept the rate of riders passing me to a trickle and got me fifth. It was an over all AMAZING experience. As soon as my thumb recombobulates I'm going to start some real physical training...no excuses for next time, podium will be mine!!!
PIN IT TO WIN IT!