Main Menu

Cops are out for revenue...ouch!

Started by Highlander, March 28, 2009, 10:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

"License registration and proof of insurance."
  I tell them where those things are, then I tell them I'm going to retrieve it.
  I then hand it over to the law enforcement officer
A little while later they return with my ticket.
I always tell them to "Have a safe shift"
I go on my way.
  Any other issue can be discussed in front of a judge.

I've met many in a professional capacity and I never have an issue with police officers. Never.

Mike Cullen

wow!, don't tell me it's true , when it's your opinion....
I've been stopped and treated (in my opinion) like a second rate citizen, CHP, cited for speeding when it was one guy in the group that was actually speeding. Come to think of it......I've also been to motorcycle shops and been treated like crap, charged out the ass for parts when I was in need of a break, and I've been to races payed my entry got run off the track by an a-hole then black flagged and told I was riding too aggressive. I've been to the feed store to buy horse food and treated poorly because I was choosing the 'wrong' feed. A couple of motorcycle cops did a 'routine' traffic stop in Oakland last week and got shot and killed because they allowed the driver to exit the car and walk back to them, (maybe they weren't trying to be 'better then anybody' or be 'dicks' to some poor motorist) their families are paying that price now.  
I find it interesting how the public, seem to know exactly how cops should act or react or do their jobs and what and how they should get slapped for, when was the last time some cop showed up at your job and told you how to do it?
I just got back from the Oakland funeral so maybe this thread came at the wrong time for me but never the less. good luck out there. I'm done, please feel free to carry on.

n10sive

Thanks for being there and for doing your job Mike

FWIW, I posted awhile back giving a shout out to the Storey County Sheriff on Gieger a few weeks ago for being a nice guy. Down here south of Reno, our Douglas County cops are pretty cool people and treat you very respectfully when pulled over. They issue more warnings than tickets I would guess too based on scanner traffic and experience. While NHP are not my favorite people (usually don't give warnings), in every instance I have dealt with them (some on the job as a medic), have always been professional.

I have relative cops, and my son is one. I know there can be bad apples in a bushel, but as Mike stated, you can find them anywhere. I doubt the girl at the grocery store who is rude to you has never had her life threatened, so doesn't really have an excuse to be a jerk. Not that cops should be jerks, but you should account for the stress they are under when dealing with them. Most of the times they are 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' and it's tough operating under those conditions all the time.

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Adiggity

Quote from: Mike C on March 31, 2009, 11:02:38 AM
wow!, don't tell me it's true , when it's your opinion....
I've been stopped and treated (in my opinion) like a second rate citizen, CHP, cited for speeding when it was one guy in the group that was actually speeding. Come to think of it......I've also been to motorcycle shops and been treated like crap, charged out the ass for parts when I was in need of a break, and I've been to races payed my entry got run off the track by an a-hole then black flagged and told I was riding too aggressive. I've been to the feed store to buy horse food and treated poorly because I was choosing the 'wrong' feed. A couple of motorcycle cops did a 'routine' traffic stop in Oakland last week and got shot and killed because they allowed the driver to exit the car and walk back to them, (maybe they weren't trying to be 'better then anybody' or be 'dicks' to some poor motorist) their families are paying that price now.  
I find it interesting how the public, seem to know exactly how cops should act or react or do their jobs and what and how they should get slapped for, when was the last time some cop showed up at your job and told you how to do it?
I just got back from the Oakland funeral so maybe this thread came at the wrong time for me but never the less. good luck out there. I'm done, please feel free to carry on.

Didn't mean to offend you but I do understand how you are. It is a lot of times a thankless job, but are you telling me that the majority of police officers don't have that "I am better than you" attitude? I know quite a few police men and women that are very nice people. But the majority of the ones I have come in contact with have had that attitude. That is what I was saying is true, and it is. Sorry if that offends you. For all of you officers out there that do not have that attitude, and I know you are out there, thank you very much. This is not directed towards you. Just adding to the subject my personal experiences and perception.

MotoPutz

Quote from: Adiggity on March 31, 2009, 12:49:53 PM
Didn't mean to offend you but I do understand how you are. It is a lot of times a thankless job, but are you telling me that the majority of police officers don't have that "I am better than you" attitude? I know quite a few police men and women that are very nice people. But the majority of the ones I have come in contact with have had that attitude. That is what I was saying is true, and it is. Sorry if that offends you. For all of you officers out there that do not have that attitude, and I know you are out there, thank you very much. This is not directed towards you. Just adding to the subject my personal experiences and perception.

I completely concur! In relation to this thread I was stating that Highlander has every right to vent if ill treated by a cop just as any one here has a right to vent if ill treated at a grocery store or at a motorcyle shop. It happens everywhere you go. I'm not saying by any means that cops should or deserve to be endangered by citizens. But cops can do a good job without putting themselves in extra danger. Thats all I am trying to point out. Just as I have told my friends, you don't have to be such a dick to get your point across.

I am very sorry that some one you knew was killed in the line of duty. That is never deserved. I too have very close friends as firefighters and cops. And I would hate for anything to ever happen to them.

Quote from: Justino on March 31, 2009, 10:55:35 AM
"License registration and proof of insurance."
  I tell them where those things are, then I tell them I'm going to retrieve it.
  I then hand it over to the law enforcement officer
A little while later they return with my ticket.
I always tell them to "Have a safe shift"
I go on my way.
  Any other issue can be discussed in front of a judge.

I've met many in a professional capacity and I never have an issue with police officers. Never.

What I am referring to Justino is that I have had cops when you say "how are you doing today officer" they say "I said license and registration". Would it kill them to have common courtesy. To someone that is not being hostle. I feel I must again state that this is not a rule but I have had person experience of being treated poorly undiserved.

jlavallee

I can only speak for myself here but most cops I've met have been reasonably polite just as I have been with them. They're doing their job and hey, if I am pulled in for something valid then hey, what can you really say? I agree with Justin that you need to discuss matters with a judge and not the officer.

I think what bothers most people (I know what gets me) is the fact that with a traffic ticket you're guilty until proven innocent. I got a ticket years ago for noise as the pipe was "too loud" no db meter just too loud. It took me three trips to court to get that one dropped. During the first appearance I tried to explain the log scale sound is measured on and he didn't even know what that was. I'm sorry, but subjective is just that. I should not have to prove innocence, the officer should be required to prove guilt. I've gotten speeding tickets when I know that there was no way the officer was positive the gun was tracking me. On a sportbike it has been my experience that you will get harassed at least 3-4 times as much as any other person.

Two summers ago I got ticketed for no mirrors here in Fernley. I live minutes from the track and took them off at home so I wouldn't have to bring tools to the track. The officer said he was pulling me in to verify my plate and when he had my documents he noticed the mirrors. Nothing was wrong with the plate or registration and anybody who's ridden a GSXR knows the mirrors are useless anyway but hey, I was in the wrong so no big deal, I went to pay the fine (that was an expensive track day) and found out that it was a moving violation. Because of work insurance not covering you if you have any three tickets in two years I had to go beg at court then see the DA. Like I told the judge, I was totally in the wrong but the punishment does not exactly fit the crime. At the same time people were in for DUI, no licence etc...

I just don't ride sportbike on the street anymore, it's not worth being a target. Sorry if any cops are offended but almost 20 years of riding on the road tells me riding a bike with plastic is like painting a target on your back.

oldBolt

(IMO) I feel that the people who work in these positions forget they are public servants and that this is the United States of America where we have enable rights and freedoms guaranteed in the constitution.  A proprietor of a business has the right to refuse service, give bad service or what ever.  You have the right not buy.  As a citizen I do feel I have the right to define acceptable behavior for the men and women who take this public position.  I understand that law enforcement can be a deadly business; don't the individuals who take these jobs know this?  But being a risky profession does not make it ok to humiliate, disrespect or talk down to any one ever in the line of duty.  Yes I do understand that it is a traffic cop's duty to cite people for violations he observes, that's what we hired him to do as a public servant. But I don't feel that they should ever be used as a revenue making activity. I would hate to believe that they are given a directive to stop and cite as the city is low on cash.  It would be nice to see the spirit of the law in action more than the letter of the law in action for many minor traffic violations or other misdemeanors.   The US and THEM mentality is a true concern for all citizens, and  this mentality should not be tolerated.  I use to think that individuals who take these positions truly believe that there day to day activities will make the community and humanity better off.  I don't believe this any more to the extent that I instruct my children to be very weary of the police and I vote down any and all police tax initiatives.  Just observe the local PD here in Reno.  I see the police committing numerous traffic violations all the time (no turn signal, failing to come to a complete stop, speeding, parking illegally etc).  On the flip side I personally know that I wouldn't want here job.  I couldn't stand to see the dregs of society, the effects of addiction and all that sadness day after day.
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger