Main Menu

Roll Call - SSA Fecta. SATURDAY 06/14/14 - All SSA rides in 1 day

Started by GreenMachine, June 09, 2014, 02:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

My two main timetable concerns for the morning are meeting up with you at 5:40 AM, then Dub at 7:30 AM in Meyers (So. Lake Tahoe).  But yes, that's where we head next.  So for me, it'll be Reno, CC, Markleeville, Monitor, Meyers, Icehouse, WWS, 11 Pines, MRR, Foresthill, chasing deer the whole way along.  :P

Here is the <new route map>, assuming I cut 9 miles off by not riding VC, which I'm thinking is the smart plan: 691 miles.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 12, 2014, 10:20:43 AM
I'm afraid TB5's not going to make it this trip either.  While his bike is ready, he has an important date next weekend that's far more important than riding 680 miles.

So barring a surprise from someone chiming in, it'll be me and probably NVgixxer for the morning portion.  And with temperatures falling even more due to a cold front moving through right at the moment, I need morning temperatures to be more moderate and may skip VC.  It's not part of our regular ride schedule and cutting it out will mean I'll have additional buffer to do Monitor, stop and take pictures and not be so hasty with my time.  I'll see what it feels like Saturday morning.  Who knows, maybe I'll shoot over VC after the ride, just to put icing on the cake.

The good part though, is that once the sun comes up, riding temperatures should be ideal.  Highs in the 80s.  I can live with that.  It'll certainly help with keeping our stamina up.  But then, this ride's epic euphoric nature kind of does that all by itself anyway.  Fecta is a super quest ride.  Reliving the memories always puts a smile on my face.

I'm up for joining you guys on the morning portion, if that's alright. GreenMachine, you've ridden with me a couple times now and have an idea of my pace. Let me know if me joining the morning portion works for you guys, I don't want to slow you down if you need to keep a faster pace in order to make certain meeting times throughout the day.

Looking at your new map I could meet you guys at Mavericks (5:00am, 5:40am???), ride the morning portion then probably branch off at Auburn, I don't know that my butt is in good enough riding condition yet to be on the motorcycle seat for the entire ride, but I'd like to get out and get some riding in this weekend.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 12, 2014, 10:20:43 AMI'm afraid TB5's not going to make it this trip either.  While his bike is ready, he has an important date next weekend that's far more important than riding 680 miles.

Pfft, what does next weekend have to do with this weekend? It's not like it's going to take us a week to do this ride.

On the bright side, GM, we'll make great time with just the two of us.

Quote from: nvgixxer on June 13, 2014, 04:55:48 AMHey GM,
From the Chevron station in South Lake Tahoe, what is your destination? Are you going up Ice House and then WWS first.............or??

Jimbo

Check the route map in the first post, Jimbo. Yes, down 50 up Ice House to WWS to MRR first.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

I think for you it would be much more enjoyable to head us off in Colfax, (waypoint I).  You could try the morning portion, but you've already done most of that riding, Icehouse, WWS and in between.  Kind of old hat in a way.  Remember on WWS where we were turning around and doing laps?  That heads up into goat roads (11 Pines), which joins Mosquito Ridge Road, a B (intermediate/expert) level road.  Both are slow going for newbs or have been in the past.   MRR was the road that Alan Porter rode off the side of and was found three weeks later, 300 feet down.  I wouldn't recommend it for one of your first rides with us.  And last time Dub had a pace through there that nobody could keep up with.

So there are a lot of negatives to the morning portion.  However, the afternoon portion, basically ~11:00 - 11:59 AM on isn't nearly as technical or dangerous.  If your mid-morning & afternoon is free, that's what I'd recommend.  You could sleep in, mosey on down to Colfax/Placer Hills Road (I can text you our position and ETA), join us there and ride Dog Valley Road & hwy 49 and as much beyond that as you feel comfortable with.  Much more rewarding than getting rattled to death on 11 Pines.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on June 13, 2014, 08:47:46 AM
Pfft, what does next weekend have to do with this weekend? It's not like it's going to take us a week to do this ride.

On the bright side, GM, we'll make great time with just the two of us.
Coming from a confirmed bachelor, no doubt.  It's her day and that includes every waking minute leading up to her day.   :D

Oh, yeah!  Deer beware.  We're coming through!  I wonder if we'll be to Foresthill before the deli opens.  :crackup

dub

Please, come join us, slmoto. If you don't want to do the whole route, I too would recommend joining us for the afternoon portion.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Thanks for the heads up on 11 Pines and the suggestions. I'll go ahead and plan to meet up with you guys on the afternoon portion then, maybe branch when you guys head up to Quincy. In addition to my lack of riding stamina I've also got to get back and get some work done this weekend. :'(

GM, I'll pm you my cell number so you can text me the your position/ETA and I'll plan on being around Colfax around 11ish. There's a dirt lot after you guys cross 80 after getting off the freeway, I'll hang out there and keep an eye out for you guys coming through.

GreenMachine

Google Maps says Meyers to Colfax is ~ 5 hours, putting us there at 12:30 PM.  However, I think between the two of us, we're going to shave off an hour of that easily if not rewrite a new standard on that.  Only time will tell.

Problem is, once we get onto Icehouse, we'll lose phone reception until at least Foresthill, the bulk of what we're riding.  My goal is to pull off where we can get phone reception at Foresthill or on our way towards I-80 to give SL and whomever else is going as much lead as possible.  So if we make 4 hours from Meyers to Foresthill, that puts us at 11:30 AM, and Colfax is about another 30 mins up I-80.  So noon.  I'm even thinking we can beat getting there by noon.

Have lunch in Colfax, either at TJ's Roadhouse (520 S Auburn St, Colfax, CA) or at a deli like at the Sierra Market (575 S Auburn St, Colfax, CA ‎). 

Eat quick and roll.

GreenMachine

I'd even suggest an alternate plan.  If Dub and I cannot make Colfax by noon, whomever is there waiting for us should start eating their lunch without us.  He and I will figure something out.  Probably choke down a deli sandwich and keep moving.

On the flip side, if we're early, we might not desire waiting 1/2 hour to 1 hour for others to arrive, which would blow any meet up.  And there'd be little chance of catching us after that.  

There's a weird reason for us not stopping for too long either.   When you're riding and focused, your concentration is at its peak.  If we stop and wait, we may not make the remainder of the ride simply due to fatigue.

As desirable as completing a quest ride is, safety is still paramount.  The trick is doing it safely, with as little fatigue as possible.

GreenMachine

Cameras are charging.  That's right campers, we're going to have video & pictures from this ride.  Backpack filled with water, a can of Plexus and ready for me to strip my rain jacket off from the morning's ride.  Gear cleaned and ready.  Bike semi-cleaned.

In bed by 8:00 PM tonight for sure!  So freakin excited I can't stand it.   :egyptian :ninjas

GreenMachine

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 13, 2014, 01:31:13 PM
Google Maps says Meyers to Colfax is ~ 5 hours, putting us there at 12:30 PM.  However, I think between the two of us, we're going to shave off an hour of that easily if not rewrite a new standard on that.  Only time will tell.

Problem is, once we get onto Icehouse, we'll lose phone reception until at least Foresthill, the bulk of what we're riding.  My goal is to pull off where we can get phone reception at Foresthill or on our way towards I-80 to give SL and whomever else is going as much lead as possible.  So if we make 4 hours from Meyers to Foresthill, that puts us at 11:30 AM, and Colfax is about another 30 mins up I-80.  So noon.  I'm even thinking we can beat getting there by noon.

Have lunch in Colfax, either at TJ's Roadhouse (520 S Auburn St, Colfax, CA) or at a deli like at the Sierra Market (575 S Auburn St, Colfax, CA ‎). 

Eat quick and roll.

I'll plan on getting to TJ's at 11am, I'll just hang there and enjoy some BBQ. I don't mind the wait, I need to make a point to slow down and relax a little more anyway. It is the weekend after all, I should work in some time to just chill.

Tahoebrian5

I'll be with you guys in spirit. Btw.. Dub.. Getting married is a full time job for at least a couple weeks. I should have never agreed to a date near the solstice. Now every year it's going to be my anniversary.. At least I warned her! The way I see it, in mathematical terms
Wedding > Fecta > Anniversary
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

nvgixxer

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 13, 2014, 07:31:58 AM
My two main timetable concerns for the morning are meeting up with you at 5:40 AM, then Dub at 7:30 AM in Meyers (So. Lake Tahoe).  But yes, that's where we head next.  So for me, it'll be Reno, CC, Markleeville, Monitor, Meyers, Icehouse, WWS, 11 Pines, MRR, Foresthill, chasing deer the whole way along.  :P

Here is the <new route map>, assuming I cut 9 miles off by not riding VC, which I'm thinking is the smart plan: 691 miles.
GM: You sir are a riding maniac! Whew...wears me out just thinking about it. Well, here is my revised schedule: I'll meet you and Dub at the South Lake Tahoe Chevron, do Ice House and WWS and then I'll continue on into Georgetown and back home via hwy 50. Just got back from that Genoa Loop hike and need time to recoup the old bod. That should give me plenty of time to get to my son's BBQ in the afternoon. SLmoto: You should maybe think about doing the same. I don't do the goat road thingy, never have, not my cup of tea, we could stick to riding civilized pavement!! LOL.
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 13, 2014, 02:45:12 PM
I'll be with you guys in spirit. Btw.. Dub.. Getting married is a full time job for at least a couple weeks. I should have never agreed to a date near the solstice. Now every year it's going to be my anniversary.. At least I warned her! The way I see it, in mathematical terms
Wedding > Fecta > Anniversary
:terrified

I like Sara.  Keep her around and keep her happy.  Whatever she wants.  We've done Fecta in September too.  Ah, fond memories.  Deer clobbering cars in the dark.  :o