Main Menu

Roll Call: SSA Fecta - A season's worth of rides all packed into one day

Started by GreenMachine, July 08, 2013, 10:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 10, 2013, 02:41:16 PMMeet up is at the Maverick gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout).

What's the address?  I can't find it on GMaps.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

BMWSportRider

I will meet the group at Maverick at the base of the Virginia City climb (Highway 341 and roundabout). I like that road, so I will make the trek to Reno to go up it with everyone.
Motorcycles in my stable:
2008 BMW R1200RT (Sport Touring)
2011 BMW K1300S (Sportier Riding and Touring)

2005 Ellsworth Truth (OK, that's my mountain bike!)

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on July 10, 2013, 04:16:05 PM
Quote from: GreenMachine on July 10, 2013, 02:41:16 PMMeet up is at the Maverick gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout).

What's the address?  I can't find it on GMaps.
The map is out of date.  I'm sure you've seen the place, but maybe never stopped there.  It's marked as waypoint 'B.'  <== link

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: BMWSportRider on July 10, 2013, 04:42:07 PM
I will meet the group at Maverick at the base of the Virginia City climb (Highway 341 and roundabout). I like that road, so I will make the trek to Reno to go up it with everyone.

I'd be saving my energy.  You must be one of those 'in for a dime in for a dollar king of folk.' 

We won't hold it against you for starting in CC.  Think about it, you have to ride back to CC at the end and we won't.   You'll have met the requirements handily.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 10, 2013, 11:12:48 PMThe map is out of date.  I'm sure you've seen the place, but maybe never stopped there.  It's marked as waypoint 'B.'  <== link

Arg!  It distresses me when Google maps doesn't have all the answers.

At any rate, I was briefly considering meeting you guys there at the Maverik via Mt Rose Hwy with the ambition of doing the entire ride plus an extra pass.  But I would have to leave my house at like 0430 and that's probably not the best idea.  So, I'll meet the group at the Chevron in Meyers at 0800.

GreenMachine

I was wondering how you were going to negotiate that from where you're starting from.  Meyers Chevron it'll be.  Better make it 7:30.  At 68 miles from our starting point, we'll be long past Meyers by 8:00 AM. 

:D  Was your thought to take in Monitor too?  Should we dare alter our route to take that in as well?

dub

NevadaWolf

Since Monitor was mentioned, just saw this on Twitter:

@TahoeMotoRide: Headed for the Sierra this weekend? Saturday road closures on Monitor and Ebbetts passes for the annual Death Ride: http://t.co/sHiTas4ZG3

Sounds like you guys have a fun route. Have fun (I'll be heading east - where a lightning storm has parked over my route. Grrrr)

GreenMachine

:thumbup  Hopefully we'll be far enough from that excitement to not even notice.

288RR

I might be able to join in on the ride.  The stars will have to align just right for me to make it

dub

Big Cat, are you listening?  This ride has your name all over it.  We need you.

GreenMachine

Please check your PMs for my contact information.  Prep your bikes for tomorrow, print the route map (just in case)(except that stupid/false loopty-loop in Colfax).  We're not getting off a mile East, then riding back a mile West, that's just stupid.  I believe the exit we're taking is either number 148 or 146 at the old rundown Dingus-Mcgees (Colfax).

Riding etiquette: Safety is paramount!!! Do not feel compelled to ride over your limits no matter how far the leading pack may get from you.  However, if you're a capable rider, if you stay in touch with/keep in sight another rider of similar pace in corners, you will find that they will help you to maintain a safe speed (for your skill level) that is probably faster than you could do on your own, simply because you can gauge their speed through corners.  Read on...

I don't have to lead and will probably 'sweep' for portions of this ride.  If you want to lead, simply pass me in a safe area, but for the most part, I will try to guide the group.  We'll have at least one beginner rider, so we will stop at various forks in the road, but the pace, as I mentioned, will otherwise be brisk enough to keep us rolling and on schedule.

For the starters, much of our riding to Meyer's (South Lake Tahoe) will be highway pace and we may, but hopefully not, encounter traffic nearing Gardnerville/Southshore from the Death Ride crowd.  Let's try to keep the group together as we near the lake.  You guys have done very well so far on other rides, so I'm not too worried.

There are three roads we'll be on that have limited cliff guardrails: Icehouse, Mosquito Ridge and La Porte.  The last two are known for having 'falling rock', sand/gravel, and tar snake hazards.  Murphy's Law applies.  Assume you'll always encounter such in steep downhill off-camber blind corners where there will be an 18 wheeler coming in the other lane, with no run-off.  Reduce your speed.

Gasoline stops: Minimal.  You are responsible for your bike's fuel settings and range.  Rule of thumb on this ride should be to never let your bike fall below 70 miles to bone dry.  Let's keep the fuel stops quick and top off when we stop.  We can shoot the bull, but let's make it brief.  That's for two reasons.  It'll be hot tomorrow and the sooner we can get back into the mountains, the cooler and less fatigued we'll feel, plus we have a tremendous amount of miles to cover, so every minute that we're not rolling means we'll be pushing our return through deer infested mountain roads in the dark.  I don't want an encounter with a deer and neither do you.

Make a list, check it twice, bring enough fluids and emergency safety equipment as you think you'll need for tomorrow's ride, and for goodness sake, get a good night's sleep.  

WE DEPART IN THE MORNING AS SOON AS EVERYONE SHOWS UP

If that's before 6:00AM, so be it. If you're later than 6:05 AM and nobody is at the Maverik, we've departed.  Either run us down or cut us off by taking I-580 and find us as we come into CC from Moundhouse.  And you have my cell number.  Text or call me and we'll get back on track with with you.

288CBR can you confirm your intentions to ride tomorrow?

I really love this ride and can't believe I'm getting the opportunity to do it again.  This is going to be awesome!!!

dr1150

Have fun everyone, I wish I was going but I have other commitments.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

GreenMachine

Quote from: dr1150 on July 12, 2013, 03:36:02 PM
Have fun everyone, I wish I was going but I have other commitments.
We'll miss ya DR!  Next year.   :P

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on July 12, 2013, 02:34:12 PM
Big Cat, are you listening?  This ride has your name all over it.  We need you.
Dub,

BC has been doing overtime playing fast pitch.  And you're right.  He'll be missed too. 

Who knows, maybe he'll sneak out and be waiting at the Maverik in the morning.  That would be awesome!