Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Ride

Started by Tahoebrian5, September 20, 2011, 08:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on September 22, 2011, 10:17:59 AM
Prosser OHV staging area at 9. That's a couple miles north of truckee on the left. There's a sign, can't miss it. Think that's early enough? I could do 8:30.. Votes?
That may be a little early for my SSA brothers.  They're heavy Saturday Night partiers and they insist on having their sins forgiven on Sunday morning.

p.s. 1st attempt failed.  Too long.  Cropping and uploading again.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on September 22, 2011, 01:26:23 PMStill waiting :popcorn
Uploaded a version 1/3rd the size of the original.  See your message box.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

holy crap... 20 degree drop in temp for Sunday.  :o

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

SEE!

You may want to reschedule the departure too so it's at least in the mid 40's when we depart Truckee.  Forecast calls for 40* in the AM.

Tahoebrian5

Alright, let's postpone for 1 hour. So 10 am in truckee. At least it'll be cool all day.

GreenMachine

How about 1 hour forward and 24 hours back, so you can take advantage of Saturday's weather?

Just an idea to throw everybody off.   :-\

Tahoebrian5

I'm game, thought you were out of town Saturday though?

Tahoebrian5

Actually I'm already commited to plans Saturday. I'll just have to bundle up. If you ditch me for saturday I'll forgive you eventually.

GreenMachine

No way!  I'm riding in your ride.  I may go for a quickie on Saturday, but it won't prohibit me from coming along Sunday.

Yosemite fell through from the standpoint that there is now an industry that commercially snags up most, if not all, of the permits to Half Dome and resells them for profit.  From what I've read, the system was designed by the National Parks Service to restrict the number of people on the cable walk, for obvious safety reasons.  However, whenever you restrict a resource where there's a demand, that puts that resource at a premium.  Some a**holes have written software programs to hit the Parks System Web site and order any available tickets faster than any human can type the same request.  No tickets for me...unless I want to buy them online and pay $40+ for a permit that should have cost $1.50.

I tried for two days in a row to get one of the few available 'last minute' permits they put online every morning.  Nada!  Zilch!   I was hitting my keyboard as fast as I could for two minutes straight before and after the auction and I got nothing.
But I bet if I hang out around Curry Village, there's probably a bunch of scumbags in trenchcoats & hats scalping permits.   :rant :spank

Tahoebrian5

Sounds like a scam!! Bastards!

So it looks like 10am on Sunday is the deal

Bigcat

Leave bucks at 9:30 gm ?

GreenMachine

Quote from: Bigcat on September 23, 2011, 06:34:38 PM
Leave bucks at 9:30 gm ?
Hey, I like that.  9:30 GM.  See you there for the Sunday ride.  Wills on Wednesday said he's coming too.  It'll be like old times!

Tomorrow, I'm still making a trip down to Mammoth to help a friend out.  We're prepping his snowmobiles, getting them ready for the season to come.

GreenMachine

Got rained on in CC like I've never been rained on before.  I considered turning back to Gardnerville to wait out the storm cell I could see passing north, but just decided to hell with it.  Water was sheeting across the road and I got stuck in those stupid Topsy Lane traffic signals right in the middle of it.  Between that and the clueless drivers riding two abreast blocking all traffic, it was a treacherous 5 mile stretch.

That said, I checked the forecast for Sunday and it appears to be similar, PM showers expected.

Do we want to chance it anyway?  I'll be the first to admit, that's a long way to travel getting rained on.  Hopefully it's only showers and mostly dry like today.

Tahoebrian5

Free car wash, don't worry bout it