Main Menu

ABC's of Track Day

Started by dtatum6, June 06, 2008, 02:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtatum6

Ok so this is mostly for you 'A' class people but the 'B's can chim in as well.  I thought it would be cool if people gave their opinion on what the difference is between people in the A, B and C classes on track day. 

Asked another way, how do you progress from C to B to A?

or

What should C group be focused on learning on the track, What should B group be focused on learning on the track?

I know experience and just plain old seat time will probably be the first answer but besides that what have you learned that has helped you progress from one group to the next?

Yard Sale

Quotehow do you progress from C to B to A?
Do lots of laps. Make them quality, learn from them.

Take schools. Read books. Watch videos. Ask questions. Follow instructors.

QuoteWhat should C group be focused on learning on the track

Where the flag stations are, how to get on and off the track safely, which way the track goes, the general lines through the turns.

QuoteWhat should B group be focused on learning on the track?
The specific reference points, braking markers, turn in points, apexes, etc. for the lines. Feedback from the tires and suspension. Body position.

dtatum6

QuoteTake schools. Read books. Watch videos. Ask questions. Follow instructors.

Any suggestions on schools/books/videos, or ones that you have found helpful?

weavefish

Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch.... reading this book has taught me sooooo much about riding. well worth the 20 bucks. was referred to me by someone on this forum :)
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Yard Sale

A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code
Reg Pridmore's CLASS
Jason Pridmore's STAR School

CBR Dave

Learn good lines, and to hold your line.

Justin

smoothness and consistancy.  I don't think "Lap Times" should concern anyone that doesn't race.
I am there to hang out with my friends while becoming a much better rider.  Win Win.
I can get around faster on Sunday being sloppy as hell, but I am not learning anything. 
I want to be smooth.

smoothduc

Thanks Justin, that's the Pridemore way. Smooth Riding is the book. I'm working on that all the time, makes me slower than anyone else (for the moment being) but in the end :D  :D
A good friend taught me that and whenever I've tried to "stay" with others (usually better riders than me), it ends up wrong, hate the feeling of having messed up. Smooth's good.

Resistor

Quote from: weavefish on June 06, 2008, 04:04:28 PM
Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch.... reading this book has taught me sooooo much about riding. well worth the 20 bucks. was referred to me by someone on this forum :)

That was me.  Good to see that you are enjoying the book, it is definitely a good read!
2005 GSXR-600

weavefish

Quote from: Resistor on June 07, 2008, 10:09:41 PM
That was me.  Good to see that you are enjoying the book, it is definitely a good read!

read it! loved it! getting started on my second read of the book. so that being said thanks man!  ;D
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen