Main Menu

carrying a concealed weapon while riding?

Started by sttub, June 17, 2010, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlavallee

Quote from: cobra23 on June 22, 2010, 08:19:34 AM
Easy fellas..that was not meant to go Political.

I don't like the politics either, and I speak from Baghdad on that.

Just trying to keeep it "light" but typing does not always send the message intended.

No worries, I love politics and believe we're in the mess we're in because nobody wants to discuss it. The board has had a rule on not talking politics so far so I try not to butt hurt anyone. :D

Maybe we'll get that political section? I mean, we've got Jerome going on about his chicken  :-X but politics aren't allowed.  :D :D :D

A DRAGON

My Chicken does everyone and they all like it. ;D ;D
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: A DRAGON on June 22, 2010, 10:58:14 PM
My Chicken does everyone and they all like it. ;D ;D

Chicken?? What chicken???
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

edmunsan

He might mean chickenstrips like the ones on his tires :D
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.

A DRAGON

This feels pretty good to Say:

I haven't had Chicken Strips in years
;D ;D ;D
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

2wcp

Back on topic. lol. I carry all the time. I've never had to pull it while riding or thought about using it any other time except when the crackhead broke into my truck, but that had nothing to do with a CCW. I could have brought out my .50 BMG for all that matters. I will usually carry on my ankle as it is the easiest for me to conceal. I have a shoulder rig that I use if I'm going on longer trips and don't plan on taking my jacket. If I'm dressed for the occasion, I have a galco holster that you can tuck a shirt into and carry on the small of my back, its made for anywhere on the waistband, but that is most comfortable for me. If you do carry, get a good quality holster as it makes a big difference. I carry on my ankle cuz I usually just have a Tshirt on and its hard to conceal under it. I've had just about every ankle holster you can imagine and the only one I can stand wearing is the Galco Ankle Glove. Its awesome and at times I almost forget I have it on.

As far as getting pulled over and letting the cops know. State law says that you don't have to tell them that you have it. They will find out once they run your info. I usually tell them. But you don't have to.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

n10sive

Steve (and others) can I ask...what kind of gun do you carry as far as size and caliber?
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

2wcp

Quote from: n10sive on June 25, 2010, 08:53:21 AM
Steve (and others) can I ask...what kind of gun do you carry as far as size and caliber?

I carry a Glock model 27 .40cal. I carry that gun because I've always have had good luck with them. I beat up everything I own and it withstands the beatings. Everybody is going to have a preference on brand. Glock, Sig, Kimber...ect. I carry a .40 because you can get the smaller gun/larger caliber in a .40. usually once you go to a .45 you have a larger or wider frame. Having more energy with a .40 when the 9mm case is pretty much the same diameter just a longer bullet is why I went with .40. No point in really carrying anything smaller than a 9mm though.
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

n10sive

thanks. I have a Glock 19 (mid-size 9mm) but that is probably too big to CCW comfortably  :-\

was also thinking of a small .25 but the smaller rounds seem to have fallen out of favor these days.

Justino

Quote from: n10sive on June 25, 2010, 10:26:49 AM
thanks. I have a Glock 19 (mid-size 9mm) but that is probably too big to CCW comfortably  :-\

was also thinking of a small .25 but the smaller rounds seem to have fallen out of favor these days.

Personally, I find the 19/23 equally as difficult as the 26/27 to conceal because they are boxy.
Are you talking comfort as far as weight,or the ability to do so discretely ?
ps.
James Bond was the only guy to use a .25 effectively :)

Riding on the street is a lot like living with your parents.

jlavallee

Quote from: n10sive on June 25, 2010, 08:53:21 AM

Last year I consolidated my carry guns (and almost more importantly holsters/mags) and decided on one platform for auto pistols. The one I choose was my Walther P99 AS so I now have two full size (think G19) and one compact (think G26) versions in 9mm. My reason was the trigger and weight. I wanted a Glock weight with a nice DA/SA trigger. I sold off some Glock, Beretta and Sigs and used the cash to buy two more Walthers. I generally leave one in a shoulder rig and the other comes out for hip carry. The compact is usually used with a Cross Breed IWB. If I am carrying a revolver it is usually a S&W 340PD which, is rated for .357 Magnum but at 11.4 oz, I carry with .38 spl loads. I keep all speed strips with .38 spl +p on them so the ammo can be used in any .38/.357 gun.

Prom my point of view, .38 spl is about the minimum load for self defense. I don't see a lot of difference between common SD calibers as long as you do your part. The 9mm guns all are carried with 147 grain Federal HST and the usual load for the revo's carried is 147 grain Federal Hydra Shok .38 spl +P+ loads.

I am not really recoil sensitive but I am very carry weight sensitive so I just can't see how guys carry anything over 25 oz empty but it really comes down to personal preference! I used to work with a guy who carried a full size 1911 and 3 spare mags every day.

Quote from: n10sive on June 25, 2010, 10:26:49 AM

A Glock 19/23 is probably the most ccw'd auto model in the US.

n10sive

Quote from: jlavallee on June 25, 2010, 02:18:25 PM
... I used to work with a guy who carried a full size 1911 and 3 spare mags every day.

oh. You worked with my Grandpa LOL

jlavallee

Quote from: n10sive on June 25, 2010, 02:31:53 PM
Quote from: jlavallee on June 25, 2010, 02:18:25 PM
... I used to work with a guy who carried a full size 1911 and 3 spare mags every day.

oh. You worked with my Grandpa LOL

All the guys who knew him well would jokingly call him "buttercup" as he was this big burly Vietnam vet. Kind of like calling a 400lb guy tiny.

Occasionally someone would call him on the radio and if he didn't respond we'd play the "build me up, buttercup" song over the plant PA system. :D

2wcp

Personally, I find the 19/23 equally as difficult as the 26/27 to conceal because they are boxy.

Thats because you are 6'2" and weigh like 100lbs. Us normal size guys can carry it fine.
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

Justino

Quote from: 2wcp on June 25, 2010, 10:36:46 PM

Thats because you are 6'2" and weigh like 100lbs. Us normal size guys can carry it fine.
Us 'normal' size guys???
6'2'' and 100# is a lawn dart, not a person!
What I meant to say was that 23 was just as easy to carry as the 26/27/28 are.
No real benefit for me to have a subcompact.
Both are boxy and present similar difficulties.
I like to carry concealed, drink beer and ride ALL at the same time, WooHOO :)
Riding on the street is a lot like living with your parents.