Main Menu

carrying a concealed weapon while riding?

Started by sttub, June 17, 2010, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sttub

does anyone carry concealed while riding? If so, could you elaborate on which on what brand and style holster you use. thanks for the info.
04 gixxer 6

bkrblood

if i had my ccw i would it all depends on where you want to conceal it and what you will be ridding in.  i would think a shoulder hollster would be the best way of doing it  that way it can move around and be more comfortable. i know a leg hollster would not work and you probably wouldnt want to have it on the small of your back if your moving around. like wise with a hip hollster would probably just get in the way from going from side to side. last thing you want is to be leaning over and have your gun pressing into your side to cause distraction.  another worse case is you accidently lay down and the gun went off so make sure if you do carry you dont chamber a round!
John Bovet

oldBolt

I would keep it in a tank bag holster and carry your favorite holster with you.  If you have a holster under your jacket you may be some where and want to take your jacket off.  With a tank bag setup you can always go to the restroom and transfer it to either depending on what works.  The tank bag works well in case of a get off, you wouldn't have to worry about rolling around the ground with it. Tank bag is easy to get to also incase you need it NOW.  You can always try spending the night at a Holiday Inn express too. ;D
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

n10sive

paging Yardsale to the white courtesy phone
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Oneup

02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

karneybo

I did when I had my CCW. I also would have my piece under the seat when I rode.
Carney

Johnny

Are you going to be riding with a full suit or Casual jeans & jacket?  I've seen people Velcro their holsters by the chest/side area on their suits.  A friend of mine uses his Serpa holster on the hip and had a custom zipper/slit (access to sidearm) on his A* motorcycle jacket kinda like what the 511 tactical jackets sell.

A DRAGON

I was asked if at a Track Day we could try and get the shooting range. You guys could practice your drive bys after you enter the front straight. How coo would that be?
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

jlavallee

If I am just riding in the NV area (when riding in California the liberals need to ensure that only criminals are armed) I'll usually carry in a Mitch Rosen shoulder rig. Beyond that it would be a J-frame in an ankle holster (Renegade cozy partner 500) or pocket. Falling and having a gun IWB or on my hip would likely make a bad thing worse.

As it gets hotter and the need to remove the jacket becomes more important, a J-frame in the pocket is going to be more likely. I like the tank bag idea but you'd better always remove the weapon/bag.

cobra23

I only carry one on "long trips" only.

The Tank bag is the best, you can pull the bag off when you leave the bike for say ... lunch.

Old Bolts idea of having a holster on you (empty) is one I think I like.

However, when I have my helmet, and a tank bag under my arm, no one takes a second look, I like that. I mean the tank bag is not a purse or "Europeon shooping bag" or anything like that. It is also easy to access even with gloves on while riding.

We should not have to tell anyone ... this... but if you impact the ground "when" you crash, and the chamber has a round in it, you cannot predict "where" that round goes "when" the weapon discharges...making a bad situation waaaayyyy worse.

Be responsible when carrying.

I don't know if we have any law enforcement guys in the club, I know a few and they hate being surprised by a concealed weapon (permit or no).  I have been told the polite thing to do is hand the officer your License, and CCW permit at the same time if you get pulled over.

Just gives them a heads up. It also shows them you are not a dirtbag, as you gotta have a clean record to obtain a CCW.

Happy Hunting!!

GreenMachine

What the...!?  Are we behind enemy lines?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

n10sive

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 18, 2010, 08:54:36 AM
What the...!?  Are we behind enemy lines?

if the line is the Kalifornia border...then yes, you are behind it LOL
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Team Gorgonzola

I would like a .50 caliber mounted and a GS 1200, for "close encounters" and not so close ones ;D
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

cobra23

uh oh!!!!

Contact 9'oclock........two five zero meters...........

Team Gorgonzola engage and destroy...

How copy?

jlavallee

Quote from: n10sive on June 18, 2010, 10:18:58 AM
if the line is the Kalifornia border...then yes, you are behind it LOL

It is too bad that such a pretty part of the country with great riding and skiing no longer seems like America.

As for the comments by Cobra23, I am of two minds on the informing the officer issue as I see your point but I could see it being a hassle too. I guess it would depend on the officer.

As for the round in the chamber issue, even in a pocket or tank bag always use a holster with a trigger guard. As far as I am concerned, anything I have to worry about carrying chambered will never be carried by me.  ;)