Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Hey guy's.

Started by Nesquik, September 10, 2009, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nesquik

I've been lookin' at the SSA site for the past year now. Thought id finally introduce myself.

Names Matt, I've been riding dirt for awhile now and plan on getting a sport bike after winter, not sure what yet but I'll most likely be getting a gixxer 600/750.

Looking forward to riding with you guy's soon  :D

Team Gorgonzola

Welcome to our club Matt, I look forward to meet you, perhaps at one of our next bike night (only three left).
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

A DRAGON

Matt depending on your riding ability. Both either bikes could do you very well. If we get a chance to talk more about what you want a bike to do for you. It will make it much easier. Hope to meet you soon.

I actually think I've already met you. I think we talked earlier at Michael's in Carson City?
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Nesquik

No unfortunately that wasn't me.

Ive sat on both an R6 and GSX-R. R6 is a little to tall for me. And seems big. GSX-R I am flat foot with both feet on the ground and it just seems like my size and more comfortable. (I'm 5'10")

Just have to wait to get a job at his point. I'm trying to get into things that have to do with sport bikes or motorcycles in general. But its proving harder than I expected due to me not knowing anyone in this field of work.

Adiggity

Welcome Matt! I would recommend actually riding them, if you can, before you make a purchase. I will say pretty much all of the main brand bikes are good bikes. Just some fit better than others for certain people. When I was first looking at getting a bike I liked the way all of them felt, for the most part, when sitting on them, but when I rode them the R6 at the time felt the most rider friendly, so I went with it. There are differences about each bike that you won't feel unless you ride it. And you may not like certain things about one or the other.  :) 

Nesquik

Yea I hear ya. But I'm tippy toe on the R6 that's what worries me.

Justin

Surely, with your dirt experience you gotta be used to tall bikes.  It's no different. 

What bikes have you ridden on the street?
What size inseam are you?
Most people over-purchase (HP)
The Suzuki SV650 is the bike I should have purchased.

Nesquik

I've only ridden on the street a few times with my dirtbike. I know I'm used to tall bikes. But its really nice being flat footed.

cobra23

Welcome Mat....

Only ride Italian bikes...( ok just kidding )

There is a whole lotta good advice from the other guys here.

Bikes are all so simular now adays, it really does come down to what you are most comfortable with. All the new Japanese Bikes are bulletproof for the most part.

The SV 650 seems to be the friendlest bike to learn on, I have not ridden one.

Nesquik

Haha yea  :D I'm pretty set on a GSX-R 750 most likely a k7

Justin

That's a pant load of horsepower, fella.
Things will get moving pretty quickly

Nesquik

Yea.... I know. But I'm not one of those stereotypical idiots. I'm going to be taking my time with that beast.

Justin

I love the bike!  I tend to err on the side of "the dad" when it comes to these matters.
As long as your brain is connected to your wrist, you should be all set.
My concern:
A CBR 600rr goes 74mpg in first gear. It does take a while to train the brain to process things at that rate.
I hate operating my motorcycle below 7000rpm.  The bike doesn't feel right to me, and keeping it from 8000 to 15,500 can only happen safely on the track.
  The above statements are private opinions and are not representative of the opinions of the SSA in any way, nor should SSA be held responsible for the impact they may have.

Rick Bay (BRA)

Welcome Matt. Well if I were you I would try to ride some bikes first before decide to buy one. Also would be good for you in my opinion if you talk with "A Dragon or Adiggity" and listen their recomendations. They are experts on that. You have a lot of options nowadays in the stores. Good look.  ;)

Nesquik

I do plan on riding them when I'm ready to buy after winter. Just the R6 concerns me because of the fact I'm tippy toe on it. And its easy to get thrown off balance when your tippy toe. Id hate to drop the thing. It feels like I'm sitting on my dirt bike when I'm on an R6 I hate it.