Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

GPS data acquisition

Started by dmh2000, August 13, 2009, 09:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmh2000

At the last SSA/RFR trackday I experimented with using an inexpensive ($75.00) 5hz GPS data logger. 5HZ gives 0.2 seconds resolution on the times which is good enough for my purposes. Here are some results. I plotted the data using Excel which is pretty tedious. I'm trying some different approaches. But the gist is that it lets me analyze what I'm doing and see my lap times and speeds. On this plot I am sort of guessing at the locations on the track. The data has the GPS position so I next I'm going to figure out how to map the track and show speeds.

one lap

one 20 minute session

dave

Justin

Damn smart people always trying to confuse the rest of us!

Justin

By the way, it's genius!   Now you know where you are improving instead of just doing a lap quicker.
ie, I have picked up everywhere except for turn 12 and 23... very cool.

n10sive

my blackberry has an app. I did this same thing one day to see record my laps. Was pretty cool because the app has a web page that will let you view the points on google maps too. So using the satellite view, I could see the  datapoints superimposed onto the track.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

A DRAGON

Alberto I hope your watching this to see the track at Thunderhill.  NIce. Alan I heard your pretty good on the mic at these races?
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Adiggity

He is very good. It is worth coming to the races just to hear Alan commentate! Since I know none of you come to watch the races!  :P

dmh2000

I changed my setup to show the trackmap along with the speed over time chart. its more useful now. I should have asked to log some data for some of the fast guys to see the difference. Next trackday (May 2010?) I'll do that.

dave

Yard Sale

What's your turn one speed?

That is a cool toy.