Main Menu

SSA Oregon or Bust! 3-day, 2-night clockwise route coast ride 05/25 - 05/27

Started by GreenMachine, May 18, 2013, 07:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Quote from: dr1150 on May 24, 2013, 07:59:54 PM
12 hours and counting, lets go!!
I expected as much.  With the two of you chomping at the bit, I'll probably be the only one leaving tomorrow to meet up with KawiKruiser...you two will already be at the coast by morning.   :spank

Still working.  Not on the bike, that's done, but actually working.  >:(
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dr1150

"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

GreenMachine

Gotta have a clear mind that there are no loose ends left in Reno.

All done.  Shower, then it's off to bed.  Goodnight you maniacs!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Good morning SSA!

GreenMachine

27° in Truckee at the moment.  Burrerrrrurrerrurrr!!!
33° by 7:00 AM
37° by 8:00 AM
43* by 9:00 AM

Not a cloud in the sky.

Anyone up for going to the coast today?

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Tahoebrian5

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

:reporter
DR1150, TB5, Kawikruiser and Greenmachine crossed the Oregon state border at 6:15 PM on Sunday, May 26, 2013.

Almost out of space on my video cameras & camera. Too much to take in!!!

May have to bolt in the early AM hours tomorrow to stay ahead of an approaching storm, but clear and warm so far.

GreenMachine

We made it back, just shy of 7:00 PM.  DR has the official miles, but somewhere over 1,200.  Digesting 100 pictures that I took and about 50 GB of HD video.  We got up at dawn to play MotoGP in the rain.  Somehow made our way over to La Porte road, because, well because, that's why.  I don't have a good explanation for it.

I'll be editing and posting pics shortly. 

What a great bunch of riders and personalities!!  Easy going, indulged me in going on a hike and inseparable for where the journey was to take us. Indulged Brian several times today so he could get his fix.  We crossed the California state border twice, rode the coast for more than a full day, went places we'd never been and some too good to pass up, chatted with the locals, got to eat at a quaint Italian Tattoria in Garberville, hugged several Sequoias, had a few beers, slept the minimum amount of hours each night, rode Lake Berryessa, warmed up in with a calzone under a grape vine covered deck in Calistoga, and had my share of "uffa" moments slipping on soaked road tire snakes while getting soaked through and through.  So much that we can't share too.  The field of Elk.  Literally 50 to 100 of them sunny in the evening yesterday on our way to Brookings, Oregon.  The spectacular coast.  The sunset and lighting in redwood forests we rode through.  Amazing! 

I'm exhausted.  And loving it.  Thanks everyone!

RenoRider75

You guys are awesome.  I look forward to the pics!  Glad everyone made it back safe - I was worried this morning when I saw the rain clouds moving in...

GreenMachine

All the forecasts I saw prior to the trip said we'd be chased by it.  We were chased alright, only it nailed us this morning.

If I'm going to have any chance at having a working brain tomorrow, I'm going to have to postpone posting pictures until tomorrow evening.  I'm winding down in a hurry and having my own bed will make catching up on the Zs that much easier.

Tahoebrian5

That was most epic.. It feels weird sitting at my computer after averaging 12 hours a day on the bike for 3 days, I think I have phantom bike syndrome.

Firstly, thanks to GM for putting together an awesome trip and for indulging my whimsical fancies..like stopping every now and then throughout the day.

Dave, gets the award for hauling the most weight through a giants horde of turns.

Josh, welcome to your first SSA ride. Don't get the wrong impression. They are usually much more interesting.

GreenMachine

DAY 1

TB5 starting his day off, waiting for the late arrivals.  KawiKruiser and DR1150.

Post Berryessa: taking a break in Calistoga

Stopping for a look.  Just a tad windy.  Just a tad.  Jenner, CA

A little farther up the coast from Jenner.  Picturesque.  Have to stop.

We saw a lot of large hawks or some other birds all along the coast, doing what they do.

Did I mention this quaint seafood restaurant serves beer?  Oh yeah!

DAY 2

Gawking at the giants.  DR stretching.  Missed him doing the fetal back crunch.  Wasn't quick enough!

"Yup.  Trees."  Giant Sequoias hike.  In leathers no less.

One last part of this trip to conquer.  Going where no other SSA ride has ever been.

How do you top seafood on the coast in Oregon?  Beer at the Lost Coast Brewing Company in California, that's how!  All in the same day.

DAY 3

Our soggy start.  :(  Storm was 4.5 hours too early.  Missed it by that much! :rant

Stopping to warm up a little.

The other track rider's pace was much quicker than I was willing to put in, so I skipped java and went on ahead to Weaverville.  
Much later, TB5 found a mountain pass not socked in with rain and took advantage of it.  We all had to follow.  We're twistie juckies and where one goes, we all go.  It was a good call!

RenoRider75

Just so we get an idea of how quick "quick" is, what would you say the average speed was in the twisties in that last photo?  Riding Geiger at 55-60 spooks me, for reference.

Awesome photos, looks like a really fun trip!  I especially like the photo with beer.   :D