Main Menu

SSA Oregon or Bust! 3-day, 2-night clockwise route coast ride 05/25 - 05/27

Started by GreenMachine, May 18, 2013, 07:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

It's appreciated DR.  Thanks!  Every coast trip I've been on has been a delight.  So long as we all come back safe and happy, the string won't be broken.

Saturday can wait.  I still have lots of stuff to do in preparation.  Just count on your alarm clock waking you and get a good night's sleep for once.  Worst case, your wife will wake you if you oversleep.  I have everyone's phone number.  We're good.

I don't think we could ask for better weather either.  Forecast in Arcata, CA, is for lows to be 51° and highs to be 56° with no wind, mid-70s inland.  I imagine there will be a marine layer in the morning and clearing by mid-morning.  Brookings, OR, shows isolated showers on Sunday, the day we breach the Oregon border.  If that's the case, we have the option to divert inland on hwy 199, maybe even attempt to play on that summit we couldn't cross last year.  I know it's open, SCR rode it two weekends ago.

And there's Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park on hwy 101 right there along the state border, yet to be seen and explored.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

I'll add to this list as it comes to mind.

Storage & pack
Pack only what you can carry on your bike

Neck warmer, balaclava, etc
plastic sandwich bag to cover morning dew from getting to your ignition switch
Camera/video camcorder/actioncam, memory cards, batteries, rechargers
Cellular telephone (exchange numbers with other riders for safety)
wallet $$$ (upfront lodging costs $110), keys, clothes, shoes

[Optional]
Cable/disc rotor lock for your bike
Swimming trunks
tire patch kit
visor cleaner/rag
chain lube
sunglasses
earplugs
GPS
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 22, 2013, 10:15:21 AMIf that's the case, we have the option to divert inland on hwy 199, maybe even attempt to play on that summit we couldn't cross last year.  I know it's open, SCR rode it two weekends ago.

We didn't ride 199.  We weren't anywhere near that far north.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Thanks for checking on that Dub!  Hmmm.  Guess we'll ride whatever route presents itself.

BTW, I had beers with TB5 tonight.  Sounds like you gave him more than a run for his money on your SV-650 at RFR.  I would say that's terrific, only TB5 is so much faster than I am, it's not even funny and I call HIM a natural.  I call you a natural too, but he's on a 1000.  You must be frightfully fast.  And so soft spoken too.   :o

Has anyone told you that you may be wiser than your years?   :thumbup

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

I'm certain any road you want to ride down there is open and clear.  I mean, the highest passes in the Sierra are clear so any road in the coastal mountains should be fine.

I ride my R6 on the track, so it's just a little slower than the CBR1k rather than A LOT slower.  And I'm sure the only reason I'm faster the TB @ RFR is because I've ridden that track at least 10 times more than him.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

If you guys keep blowing smoke up my bung eventually it'll go to my head. Now the way i see it, give you guys a level playing field.. meaning ride a bike like mine around for a season, and you'd likely be much harder to impress. I was just happy to not be the slowest guy in A group. I'm looking forward to June, need to get my brake fade issue resolved and maybe get some track tires. Those Q2's were sliding all over the place when I was trying to keep up with Wiles, felt like I was on a dirtbike!

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dr1150

"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

We'll get some breaks up by Manchester/Pt. Arena due to road slides.  There appear to be two or three sections where traffic is metered 1-way.  CalTrans suggests there could be up to 15 minute delays at each.  Eh, so what!  That just means more opportunities to take pictures and stretch the legs.

IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
    1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 2.4 MI NORTH OF ELK (MENDOCINO CO) - DUE TO A
SLIPOUT - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 15 MINUTES

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 2.2 MI NORTH TO 4 MI
NORTH OF THE JCT OF SR 128 (MENDOCINO CO) 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK
THRU 0001 HRS ON 8/30/13 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

GreenMachine

Tic-toc.  Less than 24 hours and counting.

Oh crap!  I haven't even started packing and my bike is in pieces!  :terrified :ohno

Guess I picked the wrong weekend to have my crankshaft balanced.   ???

RenoRider75

Hope you guys have fun, and be safe!  Take some pictures for us!

And I hope your motorcycle is running again in less than 24 hours GM...  :)    :grnbike

GreenMachine

Well they Fed Ex'ed the crank back, but then my mechanic said he could chrome plate the bearings and have it ready before the ride tomorrow, so I said go for it!  He's working on it now.

Pulling an all-nighter.  Don't worry, I can still make it, I think.  ;D  I'll sleep on the bike on our way to the coast.  It'll be soooo worth it!

j/k  The bike's just sitting there fueled and ready for tomorrow.  Still putting together what stuff I want to bring and what stuff I can leave behind.

RenoRider75, I'll probably have over 100 pics taken by Monday evening, usually do.  Only this time, with three actioncam video cameras, I should also have about 3-4 hours of raw video footage with which to produce a feature length Blu-ray DVD.

A few more hours of prep, check road and weather conditions, then it's off to bed.  I want to be fresh.  We're going to the coast for the extended holiday weekend you know.    :thanks

Tahoebrian5

Got her all bagged up and ready to rock!

Not sure whats up with the huge picture size.. photobucket is a pile of crap of a website now

dr1150

"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."