Main Menu

SSA Oregon or Bust! 3-day, 2-night clockwise route coast ride 05/25 - 05/27

Started by GreenMachine, May 18, 2013, 07:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

This ride is closed to additional riders.
We've taken the last of the late availability rooms.  
It'll be us four: TB5, DR, GM & Kawi.

:hangover :drool :disco  :surrender

8:00 AM start North route Starbucks

Sorry for the late delay.  Thought I had another obligation, but that doesn't happen until the following weekend.  And I have some bike maintenance to do before hand, but I can do that tomorrow.  We have available, accommodations for two extra riders one extra rider (total 3) and to share costs of two twin queen size rooms, an outdoor pool in Willits/Indoor & heated in Arcata, continental breakfast, etc.  If more than two riders, we will need to coordinate additional accommodations.  I'm planning on sleeping on an air mattress so that my guests can each have a bed to themselves.

Costs are minimal, but figure on dropping $200 - $300 for beer, lodging, food, beer, gas, beer and water.

So Day 1 ride is that I will be joining whatever party departs from Reno on Saturday morning at 8:00 AM.  Straight down I-80 to Davis, CA.  From there we'll ride Berryessa Northwest to Clear Lake's Lower Lake, South to Guerneville, over to hwy 1, up to Fort Bragg then back inland to the only available accommodations I could find.   Route Map <here> An ambitious 450 mile first day if we take in Fort Bragg, otherwise Willits only would cut out probably 100 miles.

Spend the night in Willits, CA, after having dinner in Fort Bragg and try not to drink too much micro-brew and get sick on crustaceans, because highway 20 to Willits finishes the day off.

Day 2, we ride back to Fort Bragg (so we do a lap of Hwy 20 from the previous night) up to Brookings, Oregon or Bust. Map <here>.  We'll pass right by our Arcata lodging, so we can stop, unload what we don't need to carry before continuing on our quest to reach Oregon.  Second night is in Arcata, where there is another microbrew and more crustaceans!!  Whoohoo!  

Day 3 is a leisurely 380 mile ride home via Hwy 36, the same one as last year's Memorial Day ride and what SparkyGixxer and I took in on last year's SSA Solstice Ride. Route Map <here>.

This is the thread to post to. TB5 PM'ed me.  He is in. We can accept more riders, but only one more with the reservations I have.  If you want to duplicate your own or have your own accommodations, I can help coordinate that with you.  But please hurry.  I fear by Monday night everything will be booked solid.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dr1150

I'm dealing with some back issues as of now.
I hope to join the both of you as long as my back gets better.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

Tahoebrian5

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Get better DR, I need your storage and you're a blast to tour with.  :D

Two things.  One, I am trying and should actually be able to start in Reno on Saturday.  Yay!  Gotta make some things happen, but that's the plan.  Second, technically Day 2 & 3 are shorter 380 milers.  Day 1 should be 450 tops.  So we're looking at about 1200 miles by the end of the weekend.

The weather forecast looks excellent!

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

RenoRider75

Sounds like a good time!  I love Fort Bragg - the North Coast Brewery is great!  I wouldn't be able to ride the next day though; their Old No. 38 Stout is way too good to have just one.  Or ten.   :P

Have fun, and be safe!

kawikruiser

Hey guys...just wanting to post that I'm in on the trip. Let me know about chipping in for lodging, etc.

dr1150

I am feeling a little better today. I do plan on going unless my back has other ideas.
Last year was a blast and this trip will be even better. Especially with friends to take in the experience.
LETS RIDE !!
empty the pot of luck."

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Quote from: kawikruiser on May 20, 2013, 07:33:51 PM
Hey guys...just wanting to post that I'm in on the trip. Let me know about chipping in for lodging, etc.
PM me ASAP.  BTW, did you meet up with TB5 out at the track this weekend?

We now have 2 definites and 2 very possibles and ??.  

The more the merrier!

Tahoebrian5

Quote from: kawikruiser on May 20, 2013, 07:33:51 PM

Josh, welcome to the SSA!

GreenMachine

I'm excited already.  What a great bunch!  Lodging for four booked!

Spoke to DR this AM.  He's on the mend, hopefully mostly recovered by Saturday.  Meeting with TB5 tonight and we'll do the meet and greet with Kawikruiser on Saturday.

Final costs for lodging to be split evenly will be $110/person.  Each of you will have your own queen size bed, two riders per room, in two separate locations (Willits & Arcata).  All rooms come with free Wi-Fi Internet, coffee maker, & continental breakfast.  Saturday night's stay will have an outdoor pool (not sure if it's heated or not) and amenities include hairdryer, ironing board.  Second night's may or may not have the same amenities, but should also have a refrigerator and an indoor heated pool.  Definitely bring swimming trunks.  It's a great way to unwind.  Monday's breakfast includes cereals, a waffle maker, yogurts, fruits & bananas, coffee, bagels, toast, etc.

Ride route is posted above.  First two days will include sections of the coast, Avenue of the Giants, and all that makes riding the coast such a joy.  Monday isn't a sight seeing day.  We'll say good-bye to the coast and head inland and take the most crooked route we can find to get back home.  Not really.  More like half and half.  May stop briefly on our way out for another photo-op in the redwoods.

Last chance to firm up your body's endurance strength.  It'll be somewhat of an iron butt journey, so rest up lads.  Your adventure awaits.

dr1150

GM,
Thank you for all the planning and hard work that goes into making a great trip.
And I am also very excited to see the coast and redwoods.
Is it Saturday yet??
empty the pot of luck."