Main Menu

Help me shop for a riding suit..

Started by Tahoebrian5, August 31, 2011, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

For some reason I really like the Komodo k-fx suit but I have absolutely nothing to base this on. Anyone have any input? Vendors or brands? My main objective is to be as bullet proof as money can buy. But that being said I'd like to spend 1k or less. If I thought I was getting a huge safety advantage by spending more I probly would. Thx!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

I've never heard of Komodo.  But that doesn't mean it's a bad suit.

If I were gonna buy a new suit right now I would take a hard look at Pilot.  I rode in one for a day at Thunderhill and I really liked it.

Call Wade and Carrie at Insurrection racing (the Thunderhill Pro Shop) and they will give you all the info you need.  Here's a thread: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369722
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

A DRAGON

If it's your first Suit.  It's hard to say what's the best.  It's always what ever fits you best. 

I look for double stitching in the joints and hard armor on the outside of leathers  now.  That is what seems to the trend now. And I like it.  I personally like Alpinestar.  I would also buy Arlene Ness and Yes Pilot.  I spoke to a rep once at a Race  day and was really impressed with the quality and the price. A really good suit will cost you around 1k.  You can buy some cheaper but the ones that usually attract me are over 1k.  If you find one you like.  Get the price and I'll see if  I can beat it or match with my source.   You can call me and let me know   Jerome  (560-6995) 
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

Dragon,

I like the way your red suit is made.  I too would like some better armor.  Like you said with plastic armor on the elbows and such.  The Pilot has that as well, so they'd be up there on my list too.

My 15 y.o. Joe Rocket has padding, but little armor and they cost $995 w/o boots back in the 90s.  It only sounds expensive until taking into consideration a one night hospital stay.  $$$ :terrified $$$ No contest.

Here's a review of the Pilot.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on September 01, 2011, 11:59:12 AM
check it out..

http://www.komodogear.com/store/motorcycle-race-suit-black-white-k-fx.html

OK, but how does it fit?  If you've got a list of good manufacturers going in your head, start trying them on and buy the one that fits you the best.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

n10sive

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on September 01, 2011, 12:50:59 PM
Any local vendors that stock suits?

Best advice is to ride over to Auburn Cycle Gear. They have a pretty complete and wide selection of suits. Local stores suck in the selection department
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

GreenMachine

Just passing some thoughts and conclusions that have been swirling around in my head.

I've been telling stories about our rides and trackday experiences with family and friends for years now.   People always want to know about accidents.  I can say the one absolute in every story has been between the rider's gear and the rider's condition after accidents.  Some of it could be coincidence, but this is based only on what I have found.

When I tell them about crashes between riders at the track, where there's no speed limit, they often ask "did the rider(s) die?"  No, their bike(s) was totaled, but this rider or that just had torn up gear.  Sometimes there are broken bones, but only in extreme cases.  The story is the same for street accidents.  The riders with full race leathers, boots and armored gloves are back on their feet instantly.  Ego's bruised, but that's about it.  In each case too, they were able to ride away.  Those riding with fiber jackets or jeans are injured to the point they need assistance, either profe$$ional* or by a family member.

Those with full suits, myself included, sweat a lot on these hot summer rides.  The sweat requires our gloves and helmet to be cleaned regularly, less we stink up the place when we stop for lunch/dinner.  But it's comforting to know that while I may stink it up, imposing my b.o. on others...

All
The
Gear
All
The
Time

really lives up to its name.

* A couple hours in a check-in hospital room is about $600.  Ambulance, figure on a couple grand.  Life Flight is variable from what I understand, anywhere from the base of $12,000 + $120/mile, on up.  X-rays and medical attention can run about thousands to tens of thousands a day, from what I've heard. 

For those who've purchased insurance for emergency services or don't know there is such a thing, look it up.  There might be a product that'll give you piece of mind!

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

A new $1500 suit is starting to sound like a deal!

Tahoebrian5

ok, I went to cycle gear and tried on about 8 suits and I am sold on the newer Dianese suits.. the amount of protection is amazing. The only problem is that none of them came even close to fitting me.

Is it possible to have a suit modified? Any leads on who to talk to?

n10sive

dub and I both went with the Dianese.

As far as alterations, you're better off going custom than trying to modify an off the rack suit. Each brand fits different. Did you find one that fit you the closest? And not to state the obvious, but remember, these should be comfortable in the RIDING position, not the walking position. Mine is great on the bike, but my voice gets a bit high standing up LOL

oldBolt

Just throw-en it out there.

I purchased a Aplinestars RC1 last year off the rack. (under $800.00 : http://www.gpbikeparts.com/)
It was right in the chest and arms but the knees and length where too long.

I sent it to a women (Amanda) in Oklahoma who tailored it to perfection for under $150.00 which included shipping back.  (http://www.angelfire.com/art2/speedsportleathers/AFrontPage.html)
Sent pictures and measurements to her and she did a great job.  Suite fits like custom.

Anyway  my 2 cents.

Regards

"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Tahoebrian5

Thanks OB! The cost of a custom suit is still more than a top of the line (redline) dianese plus a few hundred in mods. I might just pull the trigger.

n10sive

you sure? Have you checked with Helimont? They do the suits for a lot of the peeps racing AFM and you might be able to get a good suit from them for what you are looking to pay.

Tilt Custom Leathers also makes custom leathers cheap. I think he is still around and sells of off some of the popular Cal boards SBR, BARF etc